Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-07, 01:34 PM   #13
macemoneta

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

I remember reading a post in another thread where Nvidia confirmed that the bug has not been addressed yet in the current release.
Old 03-17-07, 02:11 PM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
You have the bug, you probably just have more memory in your video card. It will take longer for you to experience the problem as a result, but you eventually will.

If you don't want bugs fixed, that's cool. However, sometimes people that pay for equipment have a level of expectation that is different from yours.

At the #1 video vendor, there are no such complaints. Intel's video works great with Beryl. Oh, and no driver needs to be installed by an end-user, since the code is part of X. If you find a bug, you can report it and track it, interacting with the developers directly. That lets you know that progress is being made, and lets the developers know that a given bug is important to the community.

Beryl isn't "Nvidia's baby", but the AIGLX implementation, which is broken, is. Fix it.
Be that as it may, I haven't seen it yet, maybe it does have to do with the video ram.

As far as my equipment and expectations, paid for and maybe higher than yours, so of course I would like to see bugs fixed. But I still haven't seen the bug.

Old 03-17-07, 02:48 PM   #15
almatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
maybe it does have to do with the video ram.
I don't know the technical reason for the bug, but I have the same card as you and the bug was reliably reproducible for me with driver 9746. One window would open black or the tooltips would go black, and from then every opened or redrawed window was black. This could be temporarily "fixed" by switching to a console and then back to X, but sometimes this crashed the X server completely so I had to reboot my machine.

The new driver, however, didn't show any black windows so far, that's why I was asking if anyone has already seen the bug with the new driver. If yes, I would disable the composite extension again because I have to work with the computer as well.
Old 03-17-07, 04:18 PM   #16
sdeber

I still have this bug with driver 9755, my card is FX Go5200 with 64Mb ram
Old 03-17-07, 07:43 PM   #17
almatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeber
I still have this bug with driver 9755, my card is FX Go5200 with 64Mb ram
yes, me too Got black windows now again, same as before.
Old 03-19-07, 11:05 PM   #18
jellyfish7800gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by almatic
hello,

can anyone confirm that the black windows bug still persists with the 9755 driver ?
I'm asking because I have beryl running with this driver for 16 hours now and stresstesting it. I had 40 fullsized konqueror windows open, have all effects activated, let it rain on my desktop and didn't get any black windows so far.

I'm now tempted to use this as default, as the overall performance under kde (like redrawing windows and so on) seems to be significantly better with beryl than without for me. It just has to be stable ...

I have a 8800gts with 640mb ram btw.
I confirm this bug with the 9755 drivers on a 8800 gts (640 MB ram). Unfortunately it doesn't take very long for me to experience this bug with far less than 40 windows open (more like 3-4 will do it).

I have triple-buffering turned on in my xorg.conf, I'm thinking of turning it off, maybe that will reduce the memory used so that I won't see the bug as often.

The copy rendering path is horribly slow so I won't be using it.

Beryl is using the nvidia driver directly on my computer. Does anyone know if this bug happens when Beryl uses XGL or AIGLX as rendering platforms?
Old 03-19-07, 11:51 PM   #19
ari.reads

I'm sick of this bug too. So many months. 9755 on a 6200 card. Next time I'll buy an intel card. People, be warned!

With ubuntu edgy's X.org, you can use AIGLX; it works without the bug but it is painfully slow, because it does not use the card acceleration.

Nvidia guys: your total disregard for linux users is making me sick.

Thanks so much for doing nothing to solve this problem.
Cheers
Pichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfish7800gt
I confirm this bug with the 9755 drivers on a 8800 gts (640 MB ram). Unfortunately it doesn't take very long for me to experience this bug with far less than 40 windows open (more like 3-4 will do it).

I have triple-buffering turned on in my xorg.conf, I'm thinking of turning it off, maybe that will reduce the memory used so that I won't see the bug as often.

The copy rendering path is horribly slow so I won't be using it.

Beryl is using the nvidia driver directly on my computer. Does anyone know if this bug happens when Beryl uses XGL or AIGLX as rendering platforms?
Old 03-20-07, 06:34 PM   #20
jarocooke

I whole heartedly agree.

What annoys me the most is that I specifically choose a laptop with an Nvidia graphics card because I thought that would make the graphics experience better for me using Linux with Beryl.

I guess this really is the best reason why you should buy your hardware from manufactures that provide open source drivers. I can understand that Nvidia is desperately trying to ensure that their cards work perfectly on Vista, but that doesn't help me one little bit, I use Linux, not Vista. I still feel stupid though, I was lulled into a false sense of security by my past experiences with Nvidia, which used to be the best choise for Linux users wanting good graphics performance.

Now please, make my graphics card work properly please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW for anyone else with this problem 9755 doesn't fix it, though the graphics card performance appears to be much faster. In AIGLX rendering mode it is pretty much usable, if a bit on the slow side sometimes.

Old 03-21-07, 12:59 AM   #21
jdeslip

I also can confirm that this problem persists on latest nvidia driver. However, I think you guys above are being a bit harsh towards nvidia. In general, nvidia's linux support seems pretty good, and the bug only occurs for me when I have about 10+ windows open. So, no big deal really. I do hope this is resolved soon, though.
Old 03-21-07, 10:09 AM   #22
krionius
Asus 8800GTS 320M

Are you using beryl 0.2.0? With that and latest nvidia driver I dont have black windows any more.
gentoo linux (since 2003) 2006.1 amd64 kernel 2.6.22-suspend2 X.Org 7.3 | gnome 2.20.0, kde 3.5.5, beryl 0.2.1

Samsung SyncMaster 913N@1240, Tatung "32 @1080i, Pinnacle PCTV Rave, Pioneer DVR110D
Abit AN-M2HD NVidia 7050PV Noiseless HTPC, Ubuntu Linux 7.10 64bit kernel 2.6.23.8, nvidia 169.04, FSP Zen 300W,
Thermaltake Sonic Tower, AMD64 X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2, 400G SATA2 WD, Asus TVTuner (saa7134) Silent Linux HTPC

Asus TravelMate 4100 NVidia 6200 Go, Ubuntu Linux 8 32bit kernel 2.6.24, nvidia 169.12, Intel32 1.6G, 1.5GB DDR2,
Old 03-21-07, 10:23 AM   #23
macemoneta

Since the problem has been acknowledged by Nvidia as being a driver memory management bug, the Beryl version doesn't matter. Just for the record, I still see the problem in Beryl 0.2.0.
Old 03-24-07, 08:35 AM   #24
jarocooke

Further annoyances related to this bug are:

Blur plugin doesn't work reliably (or at all sometimes)
Trail focus plugin doesn't work reliably (or at all sometimes)
You had better go back to Metacity before you do anything in 3D

I don't mean to be harsh, it is just annoying that my wife's 3 year old laptop with a 440 Go has better performance than my brand new card with turbo cache, which was not exactly what I had in mind when I decided to buy a new laptop.

Anyway, it would be nice for someone from Nvidia to come here and let me know roughly when I can expect this issue to be fixed and whether it is something they are working on or not. I think that would certainly help alleviate the feeling that I am getting, of not being a valued customer. After all I have always bought Nvidia, because of their Linux support, I am (or was anyway) a loyal customer.
Closed Thread