*BANNED*

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
please. PCI Express IS NOT PCI-X
TWO completly different slots!
Don't confuse them!
OK man I didn't know it sorry...
But you could have been more helpful if you tell us any results from your side about the workaround we are working on, than making a spelling correction...
Old 05-23-07, 06:25 PM   #314
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
@djdoo: ktulu77 seems to have same performance issue as me (though he has pci-e card). Beryl is lagging under heavy load (disk I/O, CPU intensive tasks). It only does that when using that workaround (AIGLX), it is smooth if nvidia rendering platform is selected, but then we hit black-window bug. My recommendation is to not use beryl at all (I stopped using it too) until nvidia fix this.
Maybe beryl is lagging under heavy load but ktulu77 said also hard disk lagging and not under heavy load! Maybe he can't use BackingStore as you can't too with 6600 gt card. Your lag comes naturally without BackingStore his doesn't...
Old 05-23-07, 06:37 PM   #315
kriko
openSuSE11

I just did some testing and beryl beryl is poorly responsive even under high disk load + every time cpu usage hits 100% (when opening windows...).
It's a pain using such environment.
Old 05-23-07, 06:53 PM   #316
djdoo
*BANNED*

@kriko:
Man as you said we have 2 choices on how to run beryl...
1. Nvidia mode and overall auto=>Smoother more responsive but Black Windows Bug
2. AIGLX mode and post's #255 settings=>No Black Win Bug but heavier CPU usage (in beryl only not apps) and (because of that) beryl less smooth.

Finally in my opinion we have only one choice... the second one cause the first just opens 2 or 3 big windows smoother(in a normal amount of vRAM) and then chaos arrives...!

Also don't get dissapointed!! We 'll do our best to improve it cause I think nvidia has enormous lag solving bugs...!
Old 05-23-07, 06:56 PM   #317
djdoo
*BANNED*

@Jupiter:
Have you made the tests?
Old 05-23-07, 07:00 PM   #318
kriko
openSuSE11

@djdoo:
look: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/9/74

maybe this will help someone with custom compiled kernel, I'm going to give it a try.
Old 05-23-07, 07:12 PM   #319
djdoo
*BANNED*

Lightbulb Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
@djdoo:
look: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/3/9/74

maybe this will help someone with custom compiled kernel, I'm going to give it a try.
Yes really interesting founding...!
So it comes another question... With your stock 2.6.18 krnl is beryl's behaviour better??(with 255 settings on always)
Old 05-23-07, 07:16 PM   #320
kriko
openSuSE11

Quote:
With your stock 2.6.18 krnl is beryl's behaviour better??
I can't recall that, but I'll do some further testing. I'll reply here on friday or saturday (busy for school stuff).

Old 05-23-07, 07:27 PM   #321
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
I can't recall that, but I'll do some further testing. I'll reply here on friday or saturday (busy for school stuff).
OK man!
I'm looking forward for your reports cause you 've reached another side that maybe generates problems!!=custom kernels!

Good luck with your school subjects!!

Jim
Old 05-24-07, 03:34 AM   #322
phssthpok

Hello all,

Today I read through all 22 pages. Thanks to everyone for testing and posting. I've set up my xorg.conf and Beryl options according to the famous post #255. I also reinstalled drivers with Nvidia's installer just to be sure.

Good results: Beryl's speed is acceptable, and no black windows at first, even when opening lots of windows.

But here's a strange thing: In long menus (e.g. System/Preferences or Applications/Games) the color highlight of the active item disappears. I can still click an item to activate it.

And this morning before work I opened up mplayer -- my first window of the day -- and it was black. Usually I can close these windows normally or kill them, and then change Beryl settings to experiment further, but this time, I could only kill them from terminal, and then X spontaneously rebooted.

Could this be a BackingStore issue?

I'm on Feisty 7.04.
Old 05-24-07, 07:09 AM   #323
chesterman
Let the **** begins!

Quote:
When you go to sleep, open up a terminal, and execute:
Code:
#sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
Also download some kind of desktop applet that monitor cpu/mem usage, like AIO:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=24626

and leave it in visible are, so next time when it freezes, you'll see why (I discovered memory leak in Xorg shipped with suse that way).
long time no see guys
i've turn it off backingstore, but i i've not seen any significant changes in a couple of days, so i turn it on again
my ubuntu is not crashing again anymore

but tks for the tip. i already use gkrellm as a system monitor, but all try see the logs if crashs again =D
Old 05-24-07, 08:55 PM   #324
djdoo
*BANNED*

Lightbulb Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by phssthpok
Hello all,

Today I read through all 22 pages. Thanks to everyone for testing and posting. I've set up my xorg.conf and Beryl options according to the famous post #255. I also reinstalled drivers with Nvidia's installer just to be sure.

Good results: Beryl's speed is acceptable, and no black windows at first, even when opening lots of windows.

But here's a strange thing: In long menus (e.g. System/Preferences or Applications/Games) the color highlight of the active item disappears. I can still click an item to activate it.

And this morning before work I opened up mplayer -- my first window of the day -- and it was black. Usually I can close these windows normally or kill them, and then change Beryl settings to experiment further, but this time, I could only kill them from terminal, and then X spontaneously rebooted.

Could this be a BackingStore issue?

I'm on Feisty 7.04.
Give us more info: Card type, kernel, driver...
As I said in #255 post test BackingStore and see if it really helps you or cause troubles. The only strange things I see with it on my system is rarely in menus some "things" are hiding but if I pass the mouse pointer over them they appear again, so it is not very important trouble.

I also have another thing seen today (for all of you guys):
(Be very cautious with that)
Under Section "ServerLayout" in xorg.conf add this option:

Option "AIGLX" "true"

Logout->Login and tell me what happened!!
Closed Thread