Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-07, 02:36 PM   #85
imrazor

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
OK Listen to me all...
The setup workaround I found "Texture from Pixmap" "force AIGLX" "XGL Binding" does NOT WORK with 100.14.03 driver!!!!!
I know it's cold comfort to you, but these settings fixed the black window bug I was getting with the 9631 driver (I have a 64MB Geforce 2 MX, so it happens right quick on my box.) Thanks for the input. The only problem is that video playback freezes when any beryl animations take effect. Small price to pay to be able to use more than eight windows...
Old 04-29-07, 05:51 PM   #86
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrazor
I know it's cold comfort to you, but these settings fixed the black window bug I was getting with the 9631 driver (I have a 64MB Geforce 2 MX, so it happens right quick on my box.) Thanks for the input. The only problem is that video playback freezes when any beryl animations take effect. Small price to pay to be able to use more than eight windows...
Glad to know that the setup works also with the legacy driver!!
But I still cannot understand why with the use of "force AIGLX" memory doesn't reach it's end!? Cause force AIGLX solves the problem originally, the other 2 options are used to improve performance and reach almost Nvidia's mode.
What is also strange is that in Racer(and all the other 3d games-apps) I get 4fp/s more with this setup than with the default NVidia, but in window effects etc it is not as smooth as with Nvidia mode... but works quite good.
Maybe the bug happens (if graphics memory really ends as we all asume) cause Nvidia mode use only the memory available on every card and does not use system memory. I don't think texture from pixmap is the problem I think the combination of texture from pixmap and Nvidia mode causes the bug, because when you use "Copy" you don't get the bug even with Nvidia mode=on but performance is slower than death!
With my FX 5200 I don't have video problems, maybe you can solve this by not using or lighting a bit some beryl's effects at least until Nvidia give us a driver which can be really usefull at last!!!
Old 04-29-07, 06:05 PM   #87
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Thanks djdoo. I just tried your entire combination of settings (TfP, AIGLX, XGL Binding) and indeed, the performance is almost as good as setting all to Auto in the 9755 driver. I just set it up, so my jury is still out on the dreaded black windows with this setup here. I found that just changing to Copy still produces relics similar to the original bug, but more easily recovered.
Old 05-01-07, 02:58 AM   #88
while.omaha

so... the black windows bug. the BWB. man, this one is tough.

netllama i see your birthday is just over a week away. you don't want to see a few thousand angry linux users waiting outside for you on your birthday, do you?..........do you?

of course not. more over, the BWB might not even be your responsibility in the first place. how about the name/number/a/s/l of the person we should really be griping to?

i can offer you my protection from the mob (chuck norris is my uncle), just give us the info.
Old 05-01-07, 11:04 AM   #89
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

There's no need to gripe or threaten anyone. As I've stated in the past, NVIDIA is aware of the 'black windows' bug, and it is being actively worked upon. However, the solution is non-trivial to address, and will not be available in the short term. When a timeframe for resolution is available, it will be provided.

thanks,
Lonni
Old 05-01-07, 11:32 AM   #90
Hammett

Of course about this!

Noone is threatening anyone on the Nvidia team. We just ask for a solution as soon as possible...whenever that soon is. As for now, we will have to live with this.
Old 05-01-07, 12:32 PM   #91
while.omaha

chuck norris destroyed the periodic table, cause he only believes in the element of surprise.
Old 05-01-07, 01:48 PM   #92
jarocooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
There's no need to gripe or threaten anyone. As I've stated in the past, NVIDIA is aware of the 'black windows' bug, and it is being actively worked upon. However, the solution is non-trivial to address, and will not be available in the short term. When a timeframe for resolution is available, it will be provided.

thanks,
Lonni
Thanks for the update netllama.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. In your opinion do think the resolution is likely to be weeks, a few months, or more than six months away?

2. Do you have any suggestions on how in improve performance? For example would an older driver work better in the mean time?

The reason that I ask is that I am using a laptop with a only 64mb of video ram, which means that the problem is quite pronounced and there is no reasonable way of swapping the graphics card with an older model (without Turbocache), which would work better. The best interim solution that I have found is to use the "force AIGLX" option in beryl, which has a significant impact on performance.

I appreciate you taking the time to keep us up-to-date with progress.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-07, 01:55 PM   #93
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I can't provide any estimates on when this would resolved in the driver.

The only reliable workaround that I can suggest is to disable the Composite extension.
Old 05-01-07, 03:18 PM   #94
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Quote:

thanks,
Lonni
Thanks for your note Lonni. We look forward to the final resolution. In the meantime, thanks for NVIDIA's continued commitment to the Linux community.
Old 05-01-07, 04:32 PM   #95
djdoo
*BANNED*

Lightbulb Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
I'm afraid that I can't provide any estimates on when this would resolved in the driver.

The only reliable workaround that I can suggest is to disable the Composite extension.
I checked your suggestion and believe me it is not reliable at all!! (at least for my FX 5200)

I had been fighting with my PC in order to load beryl after disabling Composite extension but I always get Kwin window manager in the end.

So the only reliable workaround for me is (with Composite=on) "Texture from Pixmap" "force AIGLX" "XGL binding" the others "auto" on 9755 driver solves the bug and gives the best results to all my tests...
But can you explain me why?
And also please check it out yourself and tell me if it works for you too cause I see that this setup works well also on other systems and cards much different than mine!!
Maybe the answer for the solution hides there...
Old 05-01-07, 05:27 PM   #96
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Beryl requires the Composite extension. I'm not clear how you could have done anything with Beryl if you had truly disabled the Composite extension.
Closed Thread