Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-07, 06:43 PM   #97
djdoo
*BANNED*

Default Re: beryl black windows bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Beryl requires the Composite extension. I'm not clear how you could have done anything with Beryl if you had truly disabled the Composite extension.
I' m sorry I don't understand you... I said when I disabled Composite I could not load Beryl at all!!
If composite is required by beryl then why you said to disable composite?
Are you joking with us man?
Old 05-01-07, 06:47 PM   #98
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not joking at all. The best workaround for this problem is not to use Compositing.
Old 05-01-07, 06:50 PM   #99
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
I'm not joking at all. The best workaround for this problem is not to use Compositing.
And how can we use beryl without compositing?
With XGL?... Forget it...
Old 05-01-07, 06:52 PM   #100
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

No, you do not use Beryl or Compiz at all. If you cease using the configuration which triggers the bug, you'll stop hitting the bug.
Old 05-01-07, 07:01 PM   #101
skirst

But damnit Lonni he wants to have his cake and eat it too! Seriously, I don't get why people are so bent out of shape about this. Beryl and Compiz aren't even considered stable yet. If you're willing to work with an unstable configuration, then you have to expect that some things just aren't going to work.
Old 05-01-07, 07:03 PM   #102
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
No, you do not use Beryl or Compiz at all. If you cease using the configuration which triggers the bug, you'll stop hitting the bug.
OK man I got your point, but believe me this is not an answer to be proud about!!
Thanks a lot for your time...

Guys "TfP" "force AIGLX" "XGL binding" please send your results to the thread!!

Cause I think Nvidia takes us for fools!!
Old 05-01-07, 07:04 PM   #103
kriko
openSuSE11

So thats the solution? I mean solution till the real solution, which we don't know when it will be released?

netllama, on your profile says "NVIDIA Corporation", so I don't know if you're a developer, contact person for linux.... but if you are a developer, why can't you answer or at least tell us when it is going to be fixed. I suppose you are making some progress on this, so please tell us at least where are things standing.
Old 05-01-07, 07:20 PM   #104
jarocooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdoo
OK man I got your point, but believe me this is not an answer to be proud about!!
Thanks a lot for your time...

Guys "TfP" "force AIGLX" "XGL binding" please send your results to the thread!!

Cause I think Nvidia takes us for fools!!
It is not unusable with these options, I just have to drop metacity to do any serious graphical grunt. (Luckily this is easy with Beryl)

Anyway like I said, I appreciate netllama's attention, I also fully understand how a business works and am not expecting miracles, just to be told that there is some light at the end of tunnel (which he's done).

I guess I'll just check back in a week or two, happy coding Nvidia!
(And fingers crossed)

Old 05-01-07, 07:21 PM   #105
djdoo
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriko
So thats the solution? I mean solution till the real solution, which we don't know when it will be released?

netllama, on your profile says "NVIDIA Corporation", so I don't know if you're a developer, contact person for linux.... but if you are a developer, why can't you answer or at least tell us when it is going to be fixed. I suppose you are making some progress on this, so please tell us at least where are things standing.
Stop asking them my friend don't you see!!! they are NOT willing to help!!!
His answer was very clear DON'T USE BERYL AND YOU WON'T FACE THE BUG!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Old 05-01-07, 07:29 PM   #106
adamk75

Quote:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Yes, it sucks. nvidia's drivers have a bug and there's no decent work around if you want to use beryl. It's crappy situation all around.

However, based on the response from Lonni, everything that can be done, is being done. The only thing anyone can offer you is sympathy. Frankly, though, it's hard to offer you even that when you come across as a total prick.

Adam
Old 05-01-07, 07:32 PM   #107
kriko
openSuSE11

I choose nvidia, because I thought it has better linux support. Well, actually it does, but it still not on "that" level. I just want to know what is being fixed, more often beta releases. Maybe an open bug reporting system (bugzilla), where you can see if the bug is being worked on, resolved...
Old 05-01-07, 07:36 PM   #108
Tanker Bob
Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Quote:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
djdoo, Netllama is just giving us the truth. Do you want him to lie to us? You/we may not be happy with the answer at this point, but that's the reality. I am still willing to run Beryl with the settings that you suggested, djdoo, and it seems to work pretty well. I still run into corrupted windows, but it takes longer and normal ops can be more easily recovered.

NVIDIA provides better and more consistent support to the Linux community than any other graphics card company (not to name any names). I don't see what good it does to trash them. I believe that NVIDIA is actively working the issue just as Netllama says. I also accept that the fix isn't trivial. These cards are complex systems in themselves and driving them in the host of environments where they see use is difficult under the best of circumstances.

I'm no happier than you about the bug, but I understand the technology and the difficulties involved. I appreciate that they continue to work the issue. That's more than a lot of companies would do to support a relatively unstable beta products like Beryl/Compiz.
Closed Thread