Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-07, 02:07 PM   #1
mikejac69

Default need to re-install drivers on each bootup

I am running Kubuntu 6.10 with an Nvidia 6600GT and I am encountering a strange problem with my setup. Each time I shut down the computer I am forced to re-install the drivers in order to launch X. The drivers work fine once installed 3d is running great and there are no error messages during install. Once the drivers are installed I can reset X without any problems and I am not overwriting the xorg.conf either .I have installed nvidia-glx, the xorg-dev package as requested on the first install and all the other files mentioned in the new distro guide and am at a total loss! The only thing I can think of is a Dynamic Kernel Module, but does not the installer create this itself?

I would be most grateful to anyone that can give any help here!

Sys specs for info

AMD 2600XP
K7S8XE m/board and a 6600GT AGP card installed

Thanks all!
mikejac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 02:51 PM   #2
pest_789

Default Re: need to re-install drivers on each bootup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejac69
I am running Kubuntu 6.10 with an Nvidia 6600GT and I am encountering a strange problem with my setup. Each time I shut down the computer I am forced to re-install the drivers in order to launch X. The drivers work fine once installed 3d is running great and there are no error messages during install. Once the drivers are installed I can reset X without any problems and I am not overwriting the xorg.conf either .I have installed nvidia-glx, the xorg-dev package as requested on the first install and all the other files mentioned in the new distro guide and am at a total loss! The only thing I can think of is a Dynamic Kernel Module, but does not the installer create this itself?
I had the same problem and the cause was having the restricted modules packages installed. It causes an older pre-compiled kernel module to load itself when you reboot, rather than the one you installed.
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 03:18 PM   #3
mikejac69

how did u remove the restricted Nvidia modules?
Old 01-19-07, 03:38 PM   #4
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-07, 06:35 PM   #5
mikejac69

Talking Re: need to re-install drivers on each bootup

Thanks, it's all working now! Must have missed a step somewhere the first time!