Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-02, 03:17 AM   #1
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno
Default Bah Warcraft 3 too easy

I finish off the computer in 12 minutes on a large map. Blah!
Old 08-04-02, 02:30 PM   #2
Essense

quit playing around with the computer and get on B.net, things will change young padawan lol

Regards,
Mike
Old 08-04-02, 08:52 PM   #3
StealthHawk

i don't own War3 yet, but my friends tell me the computer is vastly harder than it was in SC. they also swear that it is not just because they are n00bs at the game, that they are using an objective mind when making these statements. furthermore, they say that the computer is a lot tougher than a lot of human opponenets on b.net.

i'm not sure whether i believe them though.
Old 08-05-02, 12:05 AM   #4
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Computer skirmishes are damn near impossible unless you're very familiar with the map. They level their heroes way faster than you can, and raid every gold mine on the map. It's tough.
Old 08-05-02, 02:24 AM   #5
StealthHawk

and since in WC3 micromanagement is more crucial, the computer has a big advantage there. it can expertly command troops and manage its base at the same time. i hear they kill all the creeps to level up their heroes very early in the game.
Old 08-05-02, 02:57 AM   #6
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

I am shocked to hear that the least. This is a screenie of the first skirmish game I have played in W3. I finished the campaign. Please tell me this is a figment of my imagination. At my current level I beat the AI in 12 minutes. I had done it with other races like Undead. The computer bites off more than it can chew when it tries to level up it's hero. I seen it try beat up a few ogre mages. Sometimes I let the AI get beat up and when it retreats I kill off it's hero and retreating units. Sometimes I ambush the AI while it tries and kill off the Ogre Magi. In the end I kick the AI's ass easy.

On another note. The AI builds 1 barracks. Tis crap. I build 2 barracks and a good amount of farms and just crank out first level units, not wasting resources on other things. Sometimes on upgrades. I attack when I have 10+ footmen or whatever and my lvl 2-3 hero ( I look for easy leveling targets ) and while the AI is at another place leveling up I hit it's base and the AI waits a little before coming for the rescue. By that time I have finished either over half it's base or completely wiped it out. On some occasions it comes quicker but I manage to kill it off anyway. Just keep cranking out footers even when you are sieging the AI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	73  

Last edited by Kruno; 08-05-02 at 03:03 AM.
Kruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-02, 04:20 AM   #7
StealthHawk

i believe the computer shows more eptitude in longer games. my friend also says that the computer is very hard to defeat in FFA games where it is him and a bunch of other computers. anyway, i extrapolated that first sentence from his tales. again, i don't expect a computer to ever be challenging 1on1 while it is playing fair. simply because newbies need to be able to play 1on1 vs the computer and not be crushed. ie, until you play 50 games online against real people i would call you a newbie. playing against real people (who don't suck)changes everything
Old 08-05-02, 05:16 AM   #8
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

I have beaten 2 AI players simultaneously. i played a 43min game and a 28min game. All I have beaten. I'm sure playing against 8+ AI players would kill me though
You call me a newbie? O_o

Old 08-05-02, 08:26 PM   #9
StealthHawk

i could beat 7 computer opponents in StarCraft when you can do that in WC3, then you are not a newbie. i considered myself 'above average' in SC, not great or anything. that was in the regular unmodified Hunters map.

heh, j/k. i doubt you can cheese the computer as easily in WC3, so 7v1 should technically be impossible in a normal map. i'd have to take a look at the maps and examine AI nuances though. i bought WC3, so i'll be playing it soon. need to clear hd space of anime to make room
Old 08-07-02, 01:37 AM   #10
prydah
WC3 - DOTA

fry's electronics has warcraft 3 on sale for $35.99 (originally $59.99) until august 8, 2002.

i just installed it and the AI is ok but then again it could be because i'm playing on normal difficulty.
prydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-02, 02:17 AM   #11
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

In skirmish there is no difficulty setting I am aware of
The campaign is easy. Boring in a sense but exciting because of the story.
Old 08-07-02, 04:25 AM   #12
StealthHawk

you're right. towers are your friend too. i'm not sure if the AI builds only one barracks though. i have 2 and the AI usually has as many men as i do i should probably make a replay to find out. the AI is very inept against towers though towers totally decimate the AI.