Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-07, 02:01 PM   #13
Ancient
Occasional User
 
Ancient's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Too far from the beach
Posts: 619
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
150% sure

The overscan in zoomed mode would be more like 40%. It zooms in REALLY close.
OK. Just had to make sure. If that were the problem it's far easier to cure than mucking about in the service menu.

Looking online it seems there are quite a few complaints about the overscan on your model. Reportedly, adjusting the horizontal and vertical screen size in the service menu will throw off your RBG convergence, so be prepared to recalibrate that as well in the service menu.
__________________
"You know the difference between cannibals and liberals? Cannibals only eat their enemies."
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 02:09 PM   #14
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Could I connect a PC to it and somehow use it to do all the video processing? Would that fix the overscan(without lowering resolution) ?
Yes but that's a lot more expensive then you might think. A capture card that's capable of accepting a HD signal is VERY expensive. Plus you run into issues like audio-delay timing etc.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 02:14 PM   #15
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Yes but that's a lot more expensive then you might think. A capture card that's capable of accepting a HD signal is VERY expensive. Plus you run into issues like audio-delay timing etc.
psst, i dont want to do that then

I just want to watch TV without missing a large portion of the screen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:38 PM   #16
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

If i got my TV professionally calibrated, would it fix my overscan?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 12:48 PM   #17
Ancient
Occasional User
 
Ancient's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Too far from the beach
Posts: 619
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
If i got my TV professionally calibrated, would it fix my overscan?
Yes. A professional will adjust the overscan as part of the basic calibration process.
__________________
"You know the difference between cannibals and liberals? Cannibals only eat their enemies."
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 02:51 PM   #18
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
Yes. A professional will adjust the overscan as part of the basic calibration process.
Sweet

This pro calibration doesnt sound like such a bad idea anymore.

One more problem, my TV is getting kinda dark. Could it be that my bulb is getting old and needs to be replaced? I am having to put my contrast on 100% to make it look good(which it does, but when i first got the TV 50% was bright enough).

Will calibration fix this? Or should i get a bulb replaced before getting it calibrated?

Sorry for the millions of questions. I'm an RPTV noob.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 03:21 PM   #19
Ancient
Occasional User
 
Ancient's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Too far from the beach
Posts: 619
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Sweet

This pro calibration doesnt sound like such a bad idea anymore.

One more problem, my TV is getting kinda dark. Could it be that my bulb is getting old and needs to be replaced? I am having to put my contrast on 100% to make it look good(which it does, but when i first got the TV 50% was bright enough).

Will calibration fix this? Or should i get a bulb replaced before getting it calibrated?

Sorry for the millions of questions. I'm an RPTV noob.
You have a CRT RPTV. The CRT provides the light so there is no bulb. What you're seeing is a sign that dust is reducing the output of the CRT so it's definitely due for a cleaning and calibration.
__________________
"You know the difference between cannibals and liberals? Cannibals only eat their enemies."
Ancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 07:10 PM   #20
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
You have a CRT RPTV. The CRT provides the light so there is no bulb. What you're seeing is a sign that dust is reducing the output of the CRT so it's definitely due for a cleaning and calibration.
..or his CRT's are just dim
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-07, 09:14 PM   #21
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
..or his CRT's are just dim
Which means... what?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 09:21 PM   #22
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Which means... what?
CRT's wear out. They are replaceable items on a CRT RPTV.
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 09:30 PM   #23
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
CRT's wear out. They are replaceable items on a CRT RPTV.
after one year? Like i said, its not bad at all. The lighting of the picture is perfect. However, i'm having to set it at 100% contrast to get it that way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 09:35 PM   #24
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
after one year? Like i said, its not bad at all. The lighting of the picture is perfect. However, i'm having to set it at 100% contrast to get it that way.
How is your room lighting. RPTV's generally need a darker environment
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removal of overscan options in 302.07... hikaricore NVIDIA Linux 12 01-05-13 04:30 PM
ViewPortOut instead of Overscan comp. I need help! C-J NVIDIA Linux 5 06-27-12 11:41 AM
Upgrade from 290.10 to 295.49 on GeForce 8300 = no hdmi audio + overscan tbubel NVIDIA Linux 2 06-15-12 03:55 AM
HDMI overscan fix for multiple resolutions + Zod Engine Problem. cheechr1 NVIDIA Linux 0 06-11-12 02:27 PM
HDTV support - computer to HDTV set porksoda NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 10 10-27-05 06:30 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.