Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-07, 01:43 PM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default How to clean CRT RPTV

Anyone know how to do this? My TV looks good as is, but definitely not as good as the day I bought it . After doing some searches online, i found out that RPTV CRT's need to be cleaned from time to time. The mirror, screen, and lens. However, i don't even know where to begin to take this thing apart to clean it. I looked online to find some sort of guide, and I still cant find anything.

My TV is a 57f510 Hitachi RPTV. I need a guide to clean this TV. It doesn't have to be for this model tv, just as long as its a CRT RPTV. I don't even know where to begin.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 02:05 PM   #2
evilghost

Default Re: How to clean CRT RPTV

Cat urine works great, it's free concentrated ammonia. You could also use those piss-n-chit dogs you have like a sponge. Not sure if dog urine has enough ammonia though.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 02:08 PM   #3
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Cat urine works great, it's free concentrated ammonia. You could also use those piss-n-chit dogs you have like a sponge. Not sure if dog urine has enough ammonia though.
bah, i haven't built that Linux webserver. Don't make me switch back to windows before I even give Linux a chance.
Old 01-22-07, 10:41 PM   #4
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

anyone? i cant even find links on how to open the thing up. I dont want to spend tons of time opening up something i probably should be.
Old 01-22-07, 11:38 PM   #5
evilchris

It's a CRT, you clean it you'll bump something and throw the thing out of alignment. Pay for a professional cleaning/alignment.
Old 01-23-07, 02:17 PM   #6
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
It's a CRT, you clean it you'll bump something and throw the thing out of alignment. Pay for a professional cleaning/alignment.
Yes, but isnt it like $500 to pay for it be cleaned? If this was a TV that I was looking to keep for a very long time, i might do that. While the TV is only a year old and is pretty good, its really not worth it to pay someone else to clean it. If I mess it up, I guess I'll learn a lesson. Right now I want to see what i can accomplish, even if that means risking the whole TV. Trust me, I've screwed up quite a few mustangs a good amount of times trying to fix things on my own. Eventually I got it. I really just want to do this for the learning experience of it.

So all i have to do is take off the back cardboard part? I can use a can of air on it? I read online that i should only use a microcloth. I'm not doing an in depth cleaning job by any means. If its too hard for me to clean, I'll just close it up... and then MAYBE call a professional... depending on cost.

And gib. My TV model name is a 57F510 from Hitachi. Is there some type of guide for me to look at?
Old 01-23-07, 02:34 PM   #7
Ancient
Occasional User

For some CRT RPTVs you access them through the back. For many others you loosen the front screen at the bottom and it lifts upward in a hinge-like manner to provide access to the lenses.

A cleaning/calibration by an IFS certified pro should run you about $325 to $350. It would be worth the money to have it professionally cleaned and calibrated the first time so you can watch what and how it is done. Learn from it and you can do it the next time it's required. CRT RPTVs are recommended to be cleaned every 6 months to a year.
Old 01-23-07, 02:50 PM   #8
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
For some CRT RPTVs you access them through the back. For many others you loosen the front screen at the bottom and it lifts upward in a hinge-like manner to provide access to the lenses.

A cleaning/calibration by an IFS certified pro should run you about $325 to $350. It would be worth the money to have it professionally cleaned and calibrated the first time so you can watch what and how it is done. Learn from it and you can do it the next time it's required. CRT RPTVs are recommended to be cleaned every 6 months to a year.
Do DLP's and LcoS TV's have to be cleaned often as well? I might at least call to see how much it is to professionally clean/calibrate my TV. If its around $300, I might go ahead and do it. If it's more, I'll just screw up my TV myself.

Old 01-23-07, 03:11 PM   #9
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Do DLP's and LcoS TV's have to be cleaned often as well?
Allegedly. Some use sealed optical units though so the cleaning requirement varies between the different types.

I found some info on cleaning CRT RPTVs. It's not real comprehensive or specific, but it does have some decent information.

http://www.keohi.com/keohiHDTV/learn...theoptics.html

Quote:
I might at least call to see how much it is to professionally clean/calibrate my TV. If its around $300, I might go ahead and do it. If it's more, I'll just screw up my TV myself.
Google for an IFS certified pro in your area. A lot of them advertise their prices on their websites. imo, anyone asking $500 for that service is either overcharging you or worried about making the payment on their Ferrari.