Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-07, 09:39 AM   #13
equimax
equimax

Default Re: Failed to load GLX after new hard drive

Thanks so much for jumping in on this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75
First, can you confirm that the nvidia kernel module is getting loaded?
Hmmm.... sorry to be a little vague on what this means. As stated earlier in this thread, the basic NVIDIA driver seems to be loading, then failing or at least Xwindow/KDE is failing. By the "nvidia kernel" do you mean something that is loading in the FreeBSD kernel or separate from that? How would I investigate to find an answer for you?

Quote:
Second, do you see any libglx* files in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions?
Yes,

libglx.so@
libglx.so.1

thanks again for helping with this.

S
equimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 10:48 AM   #14
adamk75

You can run "kldstat" to get a list of loaded kernel modules. You should see one called 'nvidia'.

What is the file size of the libglx.so.1?

I've downloaded the 4365 driver from nvidia's website, and it looks like it should be 681008 bytes.

Have you tried reinstalling the 4365 driver? You can download it from:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-4365.html
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 11:29 AM   #15
equimax
equimax

Thanks so much for the additional ideas.

Quote:
You can run "kldstat" to get a list of loaded kernel modules. You should see one called 'nvidia'.
Thanks for this instruction. I ran kldstat and yes, nvidia.ko is in there.

Quote:
What is the file size of the libglx.so.1?
I've downloaded the 4365 driver from nvidia's website, and it looks like it should be 681008 bytes.
Yes, the size agrees, 681008.

Quote:
Have you tried reinstalling the 4365 driver? You can download it from: url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_1.0-4365.html[/url]
I already have this TAR file. Before starting this thread, I did a make clean followed by a make setup. Then I checked to be sure the appropriate Device Section showing Driver "nvidia" exists in XF86config. Then I checked to be sure the kernel contains the needed USER_LDT support. I did not reinstall the driver patch, but it was installed originally.

The more I get in to this, the more I am suspicious that the problem is not the NVIDIA driver and the failure to install GLX has been there all along. Maybe I am simply not using GLX. I'm not even sure what it is.

The KDE failure message says "Could not start KDEinit, check installation." Previous experience suggests that this message can mean lots of different things. Maybe this is a KDE problem, not a video driver problem.

What do you think?

S
Old 01-31-07, 12:41 PM   #16
adamk75

I have to agree. It seems unlikely that the failure to load the glx module would cause KDE not to work properly. You can always try gnome or some other simple window manager to see if X will start with those.

I'm actually beginning to think that this might be related to not copying /tmp over to the new drive. Maybe there's something different about the permissions on /tmp on this particular machine and KDE can't create the necessary sockets.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 03:01 PM   #17
equimax
equimax

Quote:
I have to agree. It seems unlikely that the failure to load the glx module would cause KDE not to work properly. You can always try gnome or some other simple window manager to see if X will start with those.
Adam
Well, your input caused me to persist until I found the problem. I went back and checked my notes concerning new hard drive startup using my backup drive. I have a list of directories that are not backed up and need to be re-created. I found that I had failed to create the /var/run directory. I created it, rebooted, and KDE fired right up.

Talk about feeling stupid. I did learn some things with this exercise, but I'm sorry to have wasted the time of some great people with this thread. Thanks to all of you. Your offers of help have been greatly appreciated. Without your input, I might have given up and never found the problem.

Seth
Old 02-01-07, 05:32 AM   #18
SirDice

Quote:
Originally Posted by equimax
My video card is not an AGP card.
That would explain the failure to verify AGP

If your system doesn't even have an AGP slot or if you don't use it you can safely remove the device agp from the kernel config.

Good to hear everything is working

One thing I've learned over the years, it's no use making backups if the backups don't work. Test it before you really need 'm
SirDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 08:12 AM   #19
equimax
equimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDice
That would explain the failure to verify AGP

If your system doesn't even have an AGP slot or if you don't use it you can safely remove the device agp from the kernel config.

Good to hear everything is working

One thing I've learned over the years, it's no use making backups if the backups don't work. Test it before you really need 'm

Thanks again for the help and advice. You are so right about backups. In my experience even backups that are tested and work may subsequently fail for a variety of reasons. The solution is redundancy. If one backup fails, at least you have a second or third chance.

S