Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-07, 10:31 AM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Bad overscan watching HDTV

I am getting pretty bad overscan watching anything on HDTV. I would say around 15%-16% bad. Possibly even more than that. If for example I am watching ESPN, on the bottom right corner I only see ES and the rest is cut off. The bottom of the ES is cut off some as well.

Is there a way to fix my overscan? My HDTV is a Hitachi Rear Projection 57F510. It has brilliant quality in my opinion, but the overscan really bugs me. Its alot more overscan than most rear projection TV's I have ever seen.

I went to the AVS forum to ask, but it appears down. Any ideas?
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:27 AM   #2
Ancient
Occasional User

Default Re: Bad overscan watching HDTV

There's a thread on that subject here.
Old 01-22-07, 11:31 AM   #3
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
I am getting pretty bad overscan watching anything on HDTV. I would say around 15%-16% bad. Possibly even more than that. If for example I am watching ESPN, on the bottom right corner I only see ES and the rest is cut off. The bottom of the ES is cut off some as well.

Is there a way to fix my overscan? My HDTV is a Hitachi Rear Projection 57F510. It has brilliant quality in my opinion, but the overscan really bugs me. Its alot more overscan than most rear projection TV's I have ever seen.

I went to the AVS forum to ask, but it appears down. Any ideas?
There should be an option in your settings menu to turn the overscan off. I personally HATE watching anything other than a 1:1 mapping of the signal to the display. When I bought my TV I did my research to make sure the TV supported this feature.

If your TV doesn't support turning off overscan manually, then the only way to do it is buy a standalone video processor (which isn't cheap).
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-07, 11:39 AM   #4
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
There should be an option in your settings menu to turn the overscan off. I personally HATE watching anything other than a 1:1 mapping of the signal to the display. When I bought my TV I did my research to make sure the TV supported this feature.

If your TV doesn't support turning off overscan manually, then the only way to do it is buy a standalone video processor (which isn't cheap).
Could I connect a PC to it and somehow use it to do all the video processing? Would that fix the overscan(without lowering resolution) ?
Old 01-22-07, 11:42 AM   #5
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
There's a thread on that subject here.
no that isnt a thread for what i want. I want to watch TV, not play my computer on my TV. This has NOTHING to do with a computer. It is just HDTV displaying from my cable box. Thats it.

IF however, i need to hookup a computer to fix this issue, I can do that. However, i dont think that would fix it either.
Old 01-22-07, 12:53 PM   #6
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
no that isnt a thread for what i want. I want to watch TV, not play my computer on my TV. This has NOTHING to do with a computer. It is just HDTV displaying from my cable box. Thats it.

IF however, i need to hookup a computer to fix this issue, I can do that. However, i dont think that would fix it either.
Ahhh. I thought you had an overscan issue with a computer running to your TV because overscan shouldn't be that bad coming from your cable box.

There are a couple of potential fixes because this may not be an actual overscan problem but a zoom setting from your TV or cable box. TVs and/or cable boxes often have aspect settings that zoom/stretch a picture to allow you to adjust the picture for the various widescreen aspect ratios, since not all are 16:9. For example, my TV has an "Aspect" button on the remote where I can select from a few different ratio types in widescreen labeled "full, panorama, and cinema." You may want to check if your TV and/or cable box has such settings available.
Old 01-22-07, 12:58 PM   #7
betterdan

My Panasonic rear projection HDTV had this same problem and I googled and found a site with the codes to get into the service menu and fix it. This is what the ISF calibrators do also. Try and see if you can find the code to get into your service menu but just be careful and write all the settings down in case you screw with something and mess the tv up.
Old 01-22-07, 01:00 PM   #8
superklye

EDIT: didn't read the first post. Nevermind.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-07, 01:12 PM   #9
betterdan

Here is a site talking about how to getinto the Hitachi F59 models. Maybe it's the same for yours http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/showthread.php?t=26531

Be careful if you try it.
Old 01-22-07, 01:23 PM   #10
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
There are a couple of potential fixes because this may not be an actual overscan problem but a zoom setting from your TV or cable box. TVs and/or cable boxes often have aspect settings that zoom/stretch a picture to allow you to adjust the picture for the various widescreen aspect ratios, since not all are 16:9. For example, my TV has an "Aspect" button on the remote where I can select from a few different ratio types in widescreen labeled "full, panorama, and cinema." You may want to check if your TV and/or cable box has such settings available.
hah, It isn't an "aspect" ratio problem . This is genuine overscan.

betterdan, i'll look to see if i can get to those "codes" you are talking about when i get home.
Old 01-22-07, 01:37 PM   #11
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
hah, It isn't an "aspect" ratio problem . This is genuine overscan.

betterdan, i'll look to see if i can get to those "codes" you are talking about when i get home.
I just scanned through the owner's manual for your TV. Your remote has an "Aspect" button on it. Are you sure you're not in 16:9 zoomed mode instead of 16:9 standard?
Old 01-22-07, 01:39 PM   #12
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
I just scanned through the owner's manual for your TV. Your remote has an "Aspect" button on it. Are you sure you're not in 16:9 zoomed mode instead of 16:9 standard?
150% sure

The overscan in zoomed mode would be more like 40%. It zooms in REALLY close.