Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-12-03, 08:27 AM   #37
nutball
International God of Sex

I think if that happened there'd be more than a few going on!
Old 03-12-03, 09:21 AM   #38
Typedef Enum

Yeah...

To say that nVidia is _really_ trying to bring NV35 to the table is an understatement...Understanding this, it does baffle me why anybody would want a card that is, for all intents and purposes, DOA (Dead On Arrival).

The rumour mill is now looking in the May timeframe for NV35...though it would be best to reserve judgement, based on what has taken place the last 12 months or so. But with NV30 semi out the door, and NV35 already functional, it looks very promising that we will see them announced in the not too distant future.

I would much rather wait for that, as opposed to dealing with all the shortcomings of NV30. Then again, I'm not waiting at all...As soon as the 9800 is launched, I'm grabbing one of those
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 11:41 AM   #39
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Beige
too bad the drivers can only get worse as at the moment nvidia doesn't have any WHQL certified drivers because it would mean not being able to use their 16-bit hackery. and too bad that 3dmark2003 score is meaningless because it's not using WHQL drivers which is a requirement for valid scores. too bad the 9700pro will have higher FPS in Doom3 final when the same IQ is used.

then again, your own fault for buying a product that was 1 step short of having DISCONTINUED written across it.

but so long as you're happy with what you got and don't care about the ~1 million other people who got more for less money...
They have shiped 1 million R300's but havent sold them all.

Meanwhile Geforce4's still sell strong.

Im going to check out best buy right after i eat!
GlowStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 11:59 AM   #40
nrdstrm

NV35 will be announced soon?!? Great!!! When that comes out I will buy it and retire my FX. What's the big deal really?!? Right now I have the most powerful Nvidia card available (since I refuse to buy ATI)(Before the flames start, ATI makes good cards, I just don't like them, personal opinion). When the next "Best thing"from Nvidia comes out, I will buy that too. Also, in relation to "ATI will have better FPS when Doom3 comes out officially" or whatever, how do you know? From what I hear, Carmack plans to optimize for both cards (he got really upset with ATI after the Doom3 leak.)

For glowstick : I think you are refering to the 43.00 drivers. They are terrible, I tried them. I will stick with the 42.68's for now.

For All : Keep checking PC Club, I have a gut feeling that the MSI cards will be shipping soon. No hard data, just call it a hunch.

Also, I am using a weak motherboard, weak ram, etc. When I get my new mobo (655max) and dual channel ddr 400 (2) 512MB I will repost my benchmarks...

AND...for low/mid range cards, looks like Nvidia is spanking ATI. Only the 9500Pro can beat a 5600 and 5200. The value versions of ATI's cards (except the 9500pro) are NOT DX9 compliant and were built on DX8 platform, while ALL of Nvidia's cards will be DX9 compliant (<$100 to $200). Since that is where the card makers make most of their money, guess Nvidia will win again...
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 12:20 PM   #41
GlowStick
CoD4!

Hm, i cant decided weather i should get the flowfx or wait for gainward or waith for nv35
Old 03-12-03, 12:25 PM   #42
Captain Beige

Quote:
Originally posted by nrdstrm
AND...for low/mid range cards, looks like Nvidia is spanking ATI. Only the 9500Pro can beat a 5600 and 5200. The value versions of ATI's cards (except the 9500pro) are NOT DX9 compliant and were built on DX8 platform, while ALL of Nvidia's cards will be DX9 compliant (<$100 to $200). Since that is where the card makers make most of their money, guess Nvidia will win again...
hahahahaha nvidia says they are DX9 compliant, but the FX line is useless for DX9 - DX9 requires at least FP24, nvidia has non-compliant FP16 and compliant FP32 which cannot be used on the NV30, let alone cards with less hardware acceleration. why do you think nvidia STILL doesn't have any WHQL certified DX9 drivers? - because they would HAVE to be DX9 compliant meaning FP32, meaning nvidia being raped in every benchmark.

you also seem to be ignoring the fact the 9500pro has been out for a while and the 9200, 9600, 9800 are guaranteed at most 4 weeks away (1st April current release I think). nvidia's record of getting products available after launch isn't so reliable, so the only thing nvidia is "spanking" ATI at is BS hype.

just keep looking for a WHQL driver. you'll be waiting for a long time. then ask yourself what nvidia is so afraid of.
Captain Beige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 12:53 PM   #43
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally posted by nrdstrm
NV35 will be announced soon?!? Great!!! When that comes out I will buy it and retire my FX. What's the big deal really?!? Right now I have the most powerful Nvidia card available (since I refuse to buy ATI)(Before the flames start, ATI makes good cards, I just don't like them, personal opinion). When the next "Best thing"from Nvidia comes out, I will buy that too. Also, in relation to "ATI will have better FPS when Doom3 comes out officially" or whatever, how do you know? From what I hear, Carmack plans to optimize for both cards (he got really upset with ATI after the Doom3 leak.)

For glowstick : I think you are refering to the 43.00 drivers. They are terrible, I tried them. I will stick with the 42.68's for now.

For All : Keep checking PC Club, I have a gut feeling that the MSI cards will be shipping soon. No hard data, just call it a hunch.

Also, I am using a weak motherboard, weak ram, etc. When I get my new mobo (655max) and dual channel ddr 400 (2) 512MB I will repost my benchmarks...

hey whats up man? well i wish i could get the next big thing from nv too... but my lowly job just will not allow that (im still gonna try my best to work with you guys soon )
oh, and the drivers he was talking about, were the ones realeased yesterday... 43.30... i just gave them a shot... they're bad too... much like the 43's... 3dmark score of 3,5?? i dont remember... im gonna give them a shot with games too, see how it does with those.

and yes, i much agree with him about nvidia cards... im just not an ati guy. my friend has a 9700 pro... and i wasnt too impressed... it was fast... when it wanted to be. half of the game demos i brought over wouldnt even run. just a fuzzy screen. with my geforcefx, i havent come across a single game that refuses to run.
Old 03-12-03, 01:15 PM   #44
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp

and yes, i much agree with him about nvidia cards... im just not an ati guy. my friend has a 9700 pro... and i wasnt too impressed... it was fast... when it wanted to be. half of the game demos i brought over wouldnt even run. just a fuzzy screen. with my geforcefx, i havent come across a single game that refuses to run.
Try:

Tenabrae
Imperium Galactica 3 Demo
Doom 3 Alpha

All are broken on the nVidia cards since the 4x.xx detonators, but run fine on ATI cards.

Then there are detonator glitches with:

Splinter cell demo (bad lense flares and flickering textures when AA is on)
Silent Hill 2 (using the flashlight causes garbled screen when using AA)

These problems aren't present on my 9700.

IMO nVidia's driver quality became worse than ATI's since the 4x.xx detonators. They broke a lot of things trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of their hardware.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64

Last edited by DaveW; 03-12-03 at 01:18 PM.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-03, 01:19 PM   #45
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

i dunno about the others.. but i have the doom3 alpha... runs fine at 1280x1024 high graphics at 30fps. i dunno where you got your info from. ive tried the 42.68's, 43.00 and the 43.30. it actually runs alot better than my friends did on the ati.. his only ran about 10fps... probably because of mis set graphics settings though

ok.. as for splinter cell.. i do sometimes get a weird flashing screen bug... i dunno why... but thats really the only problem i have encountered
Old 03-12-03, 01:21 PM   #46
GlowStick
CoD4!

Hm, newegg says they are getting some EVGA's in tomorow.

odd thing is the NON ultra is more expensive than the Ultra ; D

should i buy should i should i !!!!
i cant decide!
Old 03-12-03, 01:29 PM   #47
StrikerPro
Greek Rager 24/7

Send a message via ICQ to StrikerPro Send a message via MSN to StrikerPro

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
They have shiped 1 million R300's but havent sold them all.

Meanwhile Geforce4's still sell strong.

Im going to check out best buy right after i eat!
Oh no, that's wrong! 1 million R300-based products were shipped LONG ago, and a week ago or so ATi announced 1 million were actually SOLD!
StrikerPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 01:32 PM   #48
RobHague
I like cheese.

If anyone is like me and from the UK, then if you want to pre-order your card (5800 or 5800 Ultra) then check out here...

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?A...ID=1&t=278&l=2

They have Asus, MSI and TerraTec versions. The Asus 5800 Ultra is just 314!

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote