Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-07, 04:42 PM   #13
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Re: LOL @ the last PSM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Yeah but they are gone due to their publisher it had nothing to do with Sony. PSM is still around from what I understand, haven't seen them announce that they are discontinuing the magazine.
Yes, I got them mixed up because I read "last" and automatically thought of them. Also Sony did play a part in it because of the demo issue.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 05:12 PM   #14
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Yes, I got them mixed up because I read "last" and automatically thought of them. Also Sony did play a part in it because of the demo issue.
I don't know of what demo issue you are talking about. They always had the demo's and Sony always worked with them. Hell Sony sends free demo's themselves to Underground members. The only reason I see an issue with the demo's when it comes to OPM would be due to the Playstation 3 requiring its games to be on Blu-Ray which well would be too costly for a magazine to include.
Old 01-25-07, 05:49 PM   #15
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
I don't know of what demo issue you are talking about. They always had the demo's and Sony always worked with them. Hell Sony sends free demo's themselves to Underground members. The only reason I see an issue with the demo's when it comes to OPM would be due to the Playstation 3 requiring its games to be on Blu-Ray which well would be too costly for a magazine to include.
They tried to put a good spin on it but the mag is dead because Sony didn't want it to compete with PSN. From the statements you can read in between the lines. Also in the OPM podcast they kind of alluded to the fact the demos got yanked and they seemed pretty shocked because it was abrupt. I'm not faulting Sony for doing this to beef up PSN but not having disks for the mag played a big role in its demise because I'am pretty sure it could have still went on being that the PS2 is for from dead.
Old 01-25-07, 06:19 PM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
They tried to put a good spin on it but the mag is dead because Sony didn't want it to compete with PSN. From the statements you can read in between the lines. Also in the OPM podcast they kind of alluded to the fact the demos got yanked and they seemed pretty shocked because it was abrupt. I'm not faulting Sony for doing this to beef up PSN but not having disks for the mag played a big role in its demise because I'am pretty sure it could have still went on being that the PS2 is for from dead.
Wow thats one big conspericy theory there... I dout it was so they wouldn't compete with PSN considering that once again they offer demo's themselves though Playstion Underground.

Ziff Davis only metions that they themselves don't see a reason to release a magazine with a demo if the network provides the same demo's easier and free.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161694.html

This is true, OPM was very slow with demo releases... They often had demo's of games that already have been released in the states, very few times would they have a demo of an unreleased game but rather video clips which now also can be obtained online easier.

packed in demos are dead now, theres no reason any magazine needs them, even PC Magazines. Look at PC Accel they wen't under because more people stole their demos then actually buying the magazine for them.
Old 01-25-07, 07:00 PM   #17
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Wow thats one big conspericy theory there... I dout it was so they wouldn't compete with PSN considering that once again they offer demo's themselves though Playstion Underground.

Ziff Davis only metions that they themselves don't see a reason to release a magazine with a demo if the network provides the same demo's easier and free.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161694.html

This is true, OPM was very slow with demo releases... They often had demo's of games that already have been released in the states, very few times would they have a demo of an unreleased game but rather video clips which now also can be obtained online easier.

packed in demos are dead now, theres no reason any magazine needs them, even PC Magazines. Look at PC Accel they wen't under because more people stole their demos then actually buying the magazine for them.
Quote:
"A key element of the OPM magazine was the playable PlayStation disc packed in with every magazine. With the launch of the PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system and its full network and Web capabilities, we are focused on delivering content via the PlayStation Network and PlayStation.com website, not discs," said Peter Dille, senior vice president of marketing, SCEA. "While we have enjoyed a very good run with the printed version of Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine, we feel it is important to shift assets online to meet the needs of today's PlayStation consumer. This is a natural evolution of our content delivery strategy."
Read that and tell me no and I will tell you, **** you. They yanked the disks. End of story. And the rest of what you said is irrelevant because were talking about this mag and the disks they offered. And I will say it again...listening to there podcast you can tell they were really holding back and alluded to the fact the the disks were yanked suddenly and it wouldn't make sense to go on without a demo disk which was part of the mag for so long. I even think they were bitching about it on neoblab.
Old 01-26-07, 09:24 AM   #18
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacos4me
I wonder how much Microsoft payed for that..
lol probably a decent amount. totally worth it though.

i over GoW
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 10:11 AM   #19
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Sony just wishes they could have Gears on the PS3. Maybe it would save the machine!!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote