Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-07, 11:31 PM   #13
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: Sigh, Java HW Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork
I can actually hold my ground pretty well in Java.

What's your problem with JOptionPane?
Well this is my first time using it and I'm basically self teaching myself. I'm required to use it over the Scanner class and so far I'm coming along. However right now I have an ArrayList with bank customers that I want to print but no luck so far.

Is there like an easy method or something in JOption that allows this?

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 11:42 PM   #14
rhink

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null,"stuff!");

replace "stuff" with a string object, or an object that has overriden object.toString(), so it actually prints something useful.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-07, 11:54 PM   #15
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Gah, my head is a bowl of mush right now. I keep reading the same lines over and over. I'm going to leave that part for the morning since this isn't due till tomorrow midnight.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try those suggestions and let you guys know how it goes.

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 01-26-07, 09:16 AM   #16
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork

Go over to the API and check out the different variations on how to use JOptionPane.

the .showMessageDialogue(...) methos mentioned by rhink is the obvious choice.

You can also print out the info as an actual table, but that's a little more complicated as far as I remember.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-07, 11:25 AM   #17
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Okay so I created toString methods for my Name, Address and BankAccount classes that hold the various info pertaining their respective classes.

I'm thinking I should create another one in the Customer class that calls the toString from those three so when I need to display it in the test class I only call the toString from class Customer. If any one sees a problem with that speak up, please.

How would I display all the info for each object on the list now?

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 01-26-07, 06:07 PM   #18
rhink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork
Go over to the API and check out the different variations on how to use JOptionPane.

the .showMessageDialogue(...) methos mentioned by rhink is the obvious choice.

You can also print out the info as an actual table, but that's a little more complicated as far as I remember.
Heh JTables can be a real pain in the ass, though this would be a relatively simple application of them. Swing is the worst part of working with java, imo. Extremely flexible, can do a lot with it, but it's also very complex if you do more than scratch the surface, and can be slow.

Marvel, you could certainly create a toString in your customer class that concatenated everything in the objects contained within.

As far as displaying them all.... well, you could pop up a new dialog using joptionpane for every single one, but that would require the user to click through each and every one. If you don't have a requirement to use a GUI, it's very straightforward just to iterate through a loop and do a System.out for each record you want to print. JTables would be a nice, neat way to list them, but they can be difficult to work with. Could also use a JTextArea. It really depends on what you're most familiar with, and exactly what the requirements for this project are.
Old 01-26-07, 06:23 PM   #19
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
Heh JTables can be a real pain in the ass, though this would be a relatively simple application of them. Swing is the worst part of working with java, imo. Extremely flexible, can do a lot with it, but it's also very complex if you do more than scratch the surface, and can be slow.

Marvel, you could certainly create a toString in your customer class that concatenated everything in the objects contained within.

As far as displaying them all.... well, you could pop up a new dialog using joptionpane for every single one, but that would require the user to click through each and every one. If you don't have a requirement to use a GUI, it's very straightforward just to iterate through a loop and do a System.out for each record you want to print. JTables would be a nice, neat way to list them, but they can be difficult to work with. Could also use a JTextArea. It really depends on what you're most familiar with, and exactly what the requirements for this project are.
I've got the toString methods and right now it's currently looping through the items on the list but like you said the user has to click through every item. There's nothing in my assignment objective that doesn't allow that but I think it sucks to have to click through.

How would you recommend displaying everything at once using a scroll window with joptionpane?

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 01-26-07, 07:03 PM   #20
rhink

JOptionPanes just make dialogs. I suppose you could insert line breaks and put everything in one big frickin string and output it all into a single window, but I don't think there's a way to make it scrollable. You'd need another control for that, which means you'd have to create a window for your application and learn how to use a little bit of swing or awt.

Old 01-26-07, 07:20 PM   #21
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Is that like the Jtextarea and jscrollpane?

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 01-26-07, 07:34 PM   #22
rhink

Yup.
Old 01-26-07, 08:00 PM   #23
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
Yup.
Ah cool, I somewhat know how to use those.

This is the method I created for the Bank database class which basically runs through the list and creates a display for every object. However this method creates a display for every object and requires the user to click through. Can't figure out how to just join everything up though.

Quote:
public void DisplayList()
{
for(int i = 0; i < accounts.size(); i++)
{
Customer c = accounts.get( i ) ;

String s = c.toStringCustomer() ;

JTextArea text = new JTextArea(s, 40, 40);
JScrollPane pane = new JScrollPane(text);

JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, pane, "Account Information",
JOptionPane.INFORMATION_MESSAGE);
}

}

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 01-26-07, 08:17 PM   #24
rhink

If you want to display everything at once, just concatenate the customer strings into one long one before creating the JOptionPane.