Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-07, 09:25 AM   #1
SebKaine

Default Linux / NVIDIA / and 3D apps

hi !

Since a long time i'm trying to switch to linux for my 3D works with Maya and Shake ! at this time i'm stick with XP . XP is not rock stable , but it works ! And here is my problem ...

i've try at many time to make the switch but always the same story again and again ...

Can't install the nvidia Driver ! I 've read religiousy the instruction from nvidia in the install section , i follow it ( yum update , kernel devel .... ) . And this crasy driver always find something missing ...

- you don't have this ...
- you don't have that
> I get those package , try again , and i got this
- sorry but you need that
- you will need this too
> I get those package , try again , and i got this
- sorry but you need this
- you will need this too

The same story , again and again ! this thing is driving me crazy !

So i 'm using Fedora 6 32 bits , i've seen around many forums ( highend3D , nvidia ... ) that many fedora users get some trouble to install the Drivers and make Maya + Shake running properly !

So please guys is there a magic Linux distro , that will not driving me crazy ! I'm not asking for the moon ! i just need to
- install an OpenGL driver
- install 2 graphics applications
That's all !

so please What is the best distro for making such simple things quite easily ! i confess i'm not a geeks , but i'm not 100% idiots !

thanks for help guys !
SebKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 05:48 AM   #2
raver

Default Re: Linux / NVIDIA / and 3D apps

Well, well!! All the same usual, big big NVIDIA problem!!!! Dude, to be frank with you, i cannot really reccomend you any linux distro in particular. But let's face it: NVIDIA driver installation nowadays is really starting to piss everyone off, be it on any distro!!! I've been using Fedora for quite some time now and I've always been 'Nvidia' on vga.. 3d driver was never an issue for me previously! It was straight forward: download nvidia-glx...rpm, nvidia-bla-bla.rpm and the NVIDIA-xxxxx-.run file, rpm everything, stop X, root install NVIDIA installer, edit xorg.conf and reboot/restart X... Next thing I'm doing is blasting monsters/imps in Doom3!

Now I'm using a 64bit Edgy Eft (ubuntu), used Dapper last year...Everything ok, installable from apt-get or synaptic, be it DVD player or cd ripper, lame encoder, dvd burner, etc, etc...all the same bla-bla u could get on Windoze...But coming to the latest Nvidia drivers, which changed a lot of versions since the time i left Fedora, u get mad, u get really really mad!

I had a hell-of-a-time with version 9746, the lastest from Nvidia... But i guess, I got a bit lucky with it, considering my limited experience of linux... After more than a week of struggle , i managed to get a 3D-accelerated-Nvidia-v9746 running machine....BUT, BUT, this time, no GLX...at least, what I found was that I removed nvidia-glx from /etc/init.d/ and after installing everything again, it is there no more. I've tried some 3d games which run more-or-less ok, but dunno how to get GLX running again... tried reinstalling the nvidia-glx-xxx.deb package several times but no luck... I'm leaving everything running as-it-is for some while until I get crazy again and re-start messing with the drivers again!!!

Anyway, hope u get what ur looking for bro... But 1 thing is for sure: Linux rocks!!!!!
raver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 08:41 PM   #3
grey_1

Default Re: Linux / NVIDIA / and 3D apps

I'm using Dreamlinux, 2.6.18.1, with the 9746 release. The DCP control panel also has an applet for installing Nvidia drivers.

I'v found it to be very stable. Hope you find the one your looking for!