Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-03, 02:44 PM   #1
adminc

Default Mandrake 9.1rc2 and Nvidia

History.

Compiled Nvida's drivers 1.0-4191 on 9.1 rc1 and the gcc version mismatches the ones that were compiled with the kernel.
just so u know
---
Latest Atempts!

Compiled Nvidas drivers 1.0-4191 (src) on 9.1 rc2 worked without one single error message, booted up the operating system and 2D works screaming fast (I'm using RenderAccel... I know beta but thats what linux is about... ))) works really fast in Halflife, Sin, Quake II, Quake III Arena, Unreal II Tour, Unreal III Tour.
Tux too of course
some of the games use winex and some is linux compiled.

Ogle Works as good as usual (Gothenburg rules)

Problem:
When the screen updates / redraws, it hangs or reboots! now and then, have passed the noapic to lilo, works n/a. (= NOT)
Recompiled kernel to turn of apic, acpi, apm and everything else I could think off and the problem still exist.

Ideas are welcomed

Old 03-10-03, 04:58 PM   #2
bwkaz

Default Re: Mandrake 9.1rc2 and Nvidia

Quote:
Originally posted by adminc
Unreal II Tour, Unreal III Tour.
Where did you get those again?

Unreal Tour. 2003 has a Linux port. U2 does not, and there is no such thing as U3, so I'm a little confused...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 06:51 PM   #3
adminc

Yeap u r right Unreal 2003 has a port

and Unreal Tournament uses winex to work ;O)

Sorry about that.

So now to my litle Fix to Nvida and M9.1 rc2
I just uninstalled Nvidas closed drivers and went with Mandrakes generic GF4 drivers and the computer does'nt reboot or lookup at all.
and we are back to gaming in winxp
and that sux
Old 03-10-03, 07:17 PM   #4
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by adminc
and Unreal Tournament uses winex to work
Or the installer at ftp://ftp.lokigames.com/pub/beta/ut for the GoTY version, or ftp://ftp.lokigames.com/pub/patches/ut for the non-GoTY version. That way you get a native install, and you don't need to use an API compatibility layer.

Quote:
So now to my litle Fix to Nvida and M9.1 rc2

I just uninstalled Nvidas closed drivers and went with Mandrakes generic GF4 drivers and the computer does'nt reboot or lookup at all.
That could be the fault of the X version (or your failure to read the relevant docs... ) not supporting the GF4 series of cards. If 9.1rc (-anything) still uses X 4.2 and not the released-Feb.-27 4.3, then the "nv" X driver doesn't support the GF4. The new X version's "nv" X driver does support both the 4 and the FX series cards, so if you can upgrade to that, then that driver should work.

HOWEVER, it still won't support 3D, because nVidia doesn't release specs on how their 3D processor works.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote