Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-03, 03:04 PM   #1
Kapp

Send a message via ICQ to Kapp Send a message via AIM to Kapp
Default Need help : Is this DVD defected..or.. (USING XBOX)

I currently brought 2 wrestling DVDs from Best Buy to watch on my XBOX. Now I have used a ton of DVDs on my xbox and NEVER had a problem. Ranging from Independant Films, dvds from blockbuster, steveo films, bumfights, and a ton more. These 2 DVDs are not working for some reason. I have posted on a message board saying perhaps that they are DIVX's and XBOX can't read them. I get the filthy disk error when I try and watch it. However, 1 of the DVDS were working but it wouldn't get past chapter 5 and it kept freezing. Is there a way to tell if they are DIVX's? Or are they defected or something? I put the DVD in my comp and I didn't see a DIVX file..if that makes any sense. I don't know much about DIVXs and stuff.

Any feedback would be helpfull, thanks
Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 10:06 PM   #2
styles-T
-========-

More likely defective..I cant see you buying 2 DVD's and getting Divx files from best buy..One way to check is get a divx player and try them on your comp..Or if you have a DVD player try them in your comp..Try other DVD's in your XBOX make sure they are playing as well..
Old 03-10-03, 10:52 PM   #3
Kapp

My fault, I meant a VCD. Someone told me theres a chance it's in VCD format in order for the company to save money making them. I put the DVD in, and it doesn't do anything. All other DVDs work fine, but i'm not sure whats going on. I don't think VCD's can play in the xbox..any clue what else I can do to figure out if it's a VCD or something?

Thanks
Old 03-12-03, 05:28 PM   #4
styles-T
-========-

Yeah..Get a VCD player and try it on your comp..I think PowerDVD or Windvd software plays VCD's. If it plays under VCD then you have VCD's..If it plays under DVD's then you have DVD's..
Old 03-12-03, 05:56 PM   #5
Kapp

i DON'T HAVE A dvd player on my comp though ;[
Old 03-12-03, 06:05 PM   #6
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally posted by Kapp
Well if you can see anything on the disc in your computer it's probably a VCD. If not it's most likely a DVD.
Old 03-12-03, 08:18 PM   #7
Nephilim
Slacker extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Kapp
You don't need a dvd drive to play vcds on your computer.

Athlon XP 2100+ | 512MB PC3200 RAM | Asus A7N8X Deluxe | GeforceFX 5900 VIVO 128MB @ 475/950 | 2 Western Digital SATA 120GB HDD in RAID 0 | 1 IBM 60GXP 60GB HDD IDE | 36x 12x 48x CD-RW | Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers | 19in. Samsung 955DF Monitor | Windows XP Pro
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-03, 08:24 PM   #8
Kapp

Yeah..I put the DVD in and it didn't work. It has an interactive menu when I got it working the 1st time so im guessing it's just defective..but it's weird..both of them? Maybe a bad shipment. Also, I noticed that the short time I did have it working, the curses were bleeped out, but on the DVD Case it says "uncensored"..so something is wrong here. I called them and they told me I can send it to them and they will send me replacements..however it's going to cost me 5 bucks extra..ill see if best buy has the dvds in stock, if not, ill wind up sending them in for replacements.

Thanks again all..