Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-07, 01:27 PM   #25
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Any one read this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID
AHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!
Old school Nintendo had the greatest library of video games. Bar none. Why else do you think Nintendo could get away with charging $10 a game on virtual console?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 01:37 PM   #26
evilchris

Zelda can I dload and play old stuff like Metroid on the Wii? Picture perfect emulation?

Still can't find one....
Old 01-30-07, 02:22 PM   #27
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Zelda can I dload and play old stuff like Metroid on the Wii? Picture perfect emulation?

Still can't find one....
The emulation is basically picture perfect.

I just checked Wii Shop Channel, and they don't have Metroid yet, but they do have some good old school shooters like Contra III for example. I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually put old school Metroid on virtual console.
Old 01-30-07, 03:24 PM   #28
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Thats why Sony is putting such a high bet on Blu-Ray, if sony can grab some of the people who just want a nextgen video player they make some money off Blu-Ray sales. Look at OWA, he had a PS3 for maybe a month and owns tons of movies already...

Sony knew the risk with the PS3, this isn't a suprise to them at all, hell the PS3 was hurting them prior to its release.
How much money does Sony make for every Blu Ray disc sold ?

I don't have figures but if it's anything like DVDs and similar technologies regulated by a consortium, it's really nothing compared to the licensing fees imposed for publishing a videogame on a proprietary console.

People mention BluRay as a mean for Sony to recoup the costs while I think the real ROI will be the mass manufacturing of components like the HD drives and Cell processor (which is more similar to a DSP than to a traditional processor) which will allow Sony to include such technologies in a cost effective manner on a wide range of other products.

Considering the background of current Sony management, it seems that Sony sacrificed its most profitable brand to regain dominance in the more traditional consumer electronics sector by leveraging the advanced technology employed in a videogame console.
XFX 9600GSO 384MB
Little freak wonder
msxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 04:18 PM   #29
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Old school Nintendo had the greatest library of video games. Bar none. Why else do you think Nintendo could get away with charging $10 a game on virtual console?
while I will agree with you on old school Nintendo having great games (8 bit version) its kind of silly to say the N64 had great games. I traded mine for a freaking VCR for Gods sake.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-07, 04:39 PM   #30
Zelda_fan

Quote:
while I will agree with you on old school Nintendo having great games (8 bit version) its kind of silly to say the N64 had great games. I traded mine for a freaking VCR for Gods sake.
Zelda, Mario 64, Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Starfox.... yeah they all just sucked major ass.
Old 01-30-07, 06:46 PM   #31
|MaguS|

Quote:
Zelda, Mario 64, Smash Bros, Majora's Mask, Starfox.... yeah they all just sucked major ass.

MM sure did...
Old 01-30-07, 06:57 PM   #32
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Quote:
They still suck dude.

Sony needs to get their software sales going. Nothing will sell a console without games to play on it. If the games wont sell good, than sony lost. Its a lousy start for sure, but some gooooood games are coming.
H3avyM3tal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-07, 08:30 PM   #33
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
AHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!
Hilarious, especially considering the 64 has 3 of the top 10 rated games of all time, not to mention the #1 spot. The PS2 only has 1, and that's a port of a GC game (which scored higher than its PS2 counterpart).

Sure the PS2 is responsible for mainstreaming gaming, but saying that the 64 was **** and had no good games is just asinine.

Don't pretend like the PS2 was some genius brain child of Sony either. It had just as many if not more problems than the PS3 does. Sony won out on a fluke; they got ridiculously lucky. They were riding their name and grabbed the support of some key developers to give themselves momentum with very limited competition on the playing field. It was successful because it was the most popular console available, garnering the majority of support from the developers. Why not develop for the winning team? Unfortunately for them, they failed to recognize that they had serious pitfalls in the game plan from the getgo, and now its ****slapping them left and right in the PS3.

The PS3 is essentially a souped a PS2. Unfortunately for Sony, that doesn't bode well when there's already a next-gen console on the market with an 8 million headstart, a vastly better game library, secured exculsives with hugely popular game franchises on the way, better online services, and more developer support - all at a cheaper price tag. Sony is not riding its name out of this one, and Microsoft has never been in a better position. Don't even get me started on what the DS is doing to the PSP ("FATALITY" in the MK voice was ringing in my head as I typed that), not to mention how wildly successful the Wii is and will continue to be.

All this pessimism isn't to say that Sony can't clean their act up and pull themselves out of this maginot line-esque scenario they've dug themselves into, but the "PS2 Plan" they're pulling right now sure as **** isn't going to work. Their namesake still carries a ton of weight in the industry, they're just sitting on that weight and swinging their arrogance around instead. It's almost a shame. And don't think this is some Sony video-game hatemail, this is purely from a business perspective, I have enjoyed a ton of games on my PS2 and will be picking up Rogue Galaxy soon (comes out today right?). Of course this is all just my opinion and I'm sure a good majority of those here won't like it.

Yes, Microsoft and the 360 aren't perfect, and neither is Nintendo's Wii, but their negatives pale in comparison to the virtual suicide it looks like Sony is trying to committ. They've set themselves up a blind firing squad; maybe they'll get lucky again, maybe they'll get shot (somewhere other than the foot). We'll see.
Old 01-30-07, 11:11 PM   #34
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
Hilarious, especially considering the 64 has 3 of the top 10 rated games of all time, not to mention the #1 spot.
rated by who? the N64 was crap, and the only game I even remember not being a complete turd was Starfox.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 03:28 AM   #35
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Rated by everyone. On gamerankings top10, Zelda OoT is #1 game of all time, and GoldenEye and Super Mario 64 are on the top10 list as well. I'm not a fan of 64 (I didn't own a N64 or PS1 for that matter, my first console was the Xbox), but don't state your opinion as a fact "64 games suck". It looks to me that some of these games are extremely good if they're rated that well.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 03:48 AM   #36
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

But that WAS his oppinion, and one that I share. Why do you people have problems with oppionions? Some people will say that the GC sucked, just like some people say that the PS3 sucks - even though the real games arent out yet.

Hey, IM no saint. I really think that most if not all of nintendos 1st party games are for kids who likes little green elfs and princess dazy... This whole forum is filled with oppinions.

Rated by eveyone? Not by me, nor my friends, nor by some here, so please.
You wanna argue taste?
H3avyM3tal is offline   Reply With Quote