Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-07, 03:57 PM   #73
Xion X2

Default Re: Vanguard: FFA PvP Server

What's MCE2005? I've seen you mention it several times now.

Yeah, the only thing my single GTX ever really struggled on was Oblivion. I had no ini configs done and had all in-game settings maxed except grass/self shadows, and in thick grassy areas (especially the pink stuff) it would drop as low as 27fps at 1680x1050, 4xAA. In fact.. just tried it out again last night by disabling SLI and it still does it:

I didn't have my GTX overclocked, though. It would gain ~4-5fps if so, probably.

Now, those same places w/ SLI enabled at the same settings:

I also have my frames capped at 60 since I was running vsync. I might've been getting higher than that.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-07, 11:43 PM   #74
Xion X2

If anyone gets to the Vector Control mission by the rockspine lair near Hathor Zhi, send me a PM or tell and we can group together. My name is Xionn Dedrago and I'm a Dark Elf Sorcerer.

I'm not quite leveled up enough to take on all those lizards by myself yet.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-16-07, 02:18 AM   #75
Xion X2

Finished it w/ two others. It was tough.. took me 3 spawns but finally did it.

But if any of you out there need help send me a tell and I'll go through it again.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-19-07, 03:20 AM   #76
Blacklash
8^9^3

That's MCE 2005

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116049

I am taking a break from VG. There is just no excuse for cities like Hathor Zhi to run as poorly as they do currently given my hardware. I kill Oblivion and TRL @ 1680x with filter and all the goodies on.

I have noticed crafting stations|areas in cities when they are packed with people are horrid for FPS.

TRL on my rig, stock card and Vista:

Settings-

SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 04:27 AM   #77
Blacklash
8^9^3

Oblivion for the heck of it. Mostly outdoors in dense foliage. AA is broke with the .64 driver though. So they are 1680x HDR + 16x AF. All done under Vista x32. GTX is stock. I used the tdt console command to bench my FPS:

Pink and red foliage:

I included a few city shots to make the point VG cities should not be a problem. BTW I don't use vsync in Oblivion.
Old 02-19-07, 05:40 AM   #78
Xion X2

Well it definitely has a ways to go still, but they've done a LOT of optimization to the game as of today. It's running ~20% smoother for me than it was before, and it also looks like they've cleaned up the rough edges a lot. Looks like it's running AA, honestly, which I thought wasn't possible w/ the Unreal 3 engine (or is it running 2? whatever).

HDR/bloom intensity has also been increased. The sunlight off the water and off grass is much brighter than it was before, and overall, the game just has a more crisp, clean look to it. Draw distance also seems to be slightly improved.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-19-07, 06:23 AM   #79
Blacklash
8^9^3

Really? Hmmm.

I may give it a whirl again in a few days. I have a few demos I got from nZone I am likely going to try first.

I also wanted to wait a while so they could finish nerfing their darn classes I know there will always be some adjustments made and the larger ones should be made in the next few months. I'd hate to max a toon then be nerfed down to suck.
Old 02-19-07, 08:41 AM   #80
Xion X2

Well, I'm finding it awfully rough going w/ the sorcerer right now. It just seems like they expect that everyone's playing w/ a necro or warrior(which admittedly many are) and are great in close combat. I can't always team up with people; sometimes I'm by myself, and most of these quests lately have just been next to impossible. They place the enemies as close as checker board pieces, and no matter how careful I try to be they always end up teaming up on me and whipping my *#&!

I'll pick one enemy out to target--and never do it when it's standing in the middle of a group, always wait until it's by itself--and still 2 or 3 of his buddies from the other side of the screen will take off after me and gang-*)!!& the *#@(! out of me since sorcerers have weak armor. I haven't even found an armor vendor since Hathor Zhi, and that was beginner time. Long way back.

Not only that, I'm finding that even w/ my strong spells they're deflecting half of them sometimes. Yeah, sure--it's not bad enough that I'm bad in close combat, but then they take my distance combat away from me.

I don't know. I was really liking this game for a while, but here lately it just seems the deck is stacked against my class. I don't think the difficulty is very well-balanced.

Maybe I'm missing something? This is my first MMO and I'm open to advice. I have used my attribute points and looked for the best armor I could find. I've also trained and have the best spells. The only thing I haven't done much of is harvest/skin and craft. Should I be doing that to make better armor?

I'll tell you one thing. I am past the point of being tired of re-spawning and scouring the entire world map for tombstones. That @($*! has gotten old real quick.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 02-19-07, 06:37 PM   #81
Blacklash
8^9^3

Sorcerer was great in Beta and since then has been nerfed along with Bloodmage, and Disciple. I know a few others have been hit and I haven't been following it closely.

Brad believes in forced grouping and some classes will still be able to solo better than others. That solo ability will be limited and in some cases, as you have discovered, will not be possible. Some quests and powerful creatures may very well demand a group and you are SOL if you can't get one.

I can't currently give you very accurate opinions or advice on the latest round of nerfs because I have stepped back myself to let things settle. In certain cases some classes are better than others. Wolf totem shaman use to be great because they had decent melee ability and could heal themselves. Rogues are good for working into hostile areas because you can often sneak by aggressive creatures. Thing is, once you engage, you may gain aggro from wandering creatures and those nearby. You are not a tank to boot, so fighting a creature one on one is more difficult.

Some creatures are indeed "linked" and no matter what you do more than one will come. If you have tried pulling them from different directions or pulling the outer most creature and they always all come they are likely linked and there is nothing you can do beyond grouping. In MMOs some creatures are grouped. Period.

My advice is to read up as much as you can and perhaps ask for help on the official forums. I am out of touch with what has changed very recently, and am waiting for the game to "settle".

Official forums:

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/forums/list.m

TTH forum:

http://forums.tentonhammer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

VN boards:

http://vnboards.ign.com/vanguard_saga_of_heroes/c15803

I definitely suggest you try a few different classes before you lock into one.

I am getting really tired of MMOs because most of them don't know how to do Rogues well, and I always want to play at least one. Missions are; kill, kill, kill. Rogues ought to have meaningful XP that comes from something other than fighting. There's no trap setting, pocket picking, breaking and entering or item stealing. Heck I would even accept urban recon missions. Rogue missions ought to be about avoiding detection as well.

If you really want to solo in an MMO get EQ 2 or WoW. If you do EQ 2; try a Conjurer or Necromancer. Illusionists are very good too if you know what you are doing. If you want to go more melee, a Shadow Knight. If you want to play a "solo" healer, a Fury. XP will be slow in EQ 2 post L39 and you still will be able to solo.

Oh yes, and before someone comes along and asks, "Dude, why do you want to solo in an MMO?", I will address it. I want the option to solo, not to always solo because sometimes you can not get together a meaningful group or the group you could get into is replete with tools that would make you miserable. So, not being able to form a group do to lacking players or classes or said players being idiots. Grouping with some folks will actually lead to no fun, loss of XP and damaged gear. It's lose|lose. If I am having a great time and die plus take an XP hit, I don't care.
Old 02-19-07, 11:33 PM   #82
Xion X2

Thanks for that very detailed information, Mal. I'll check out the forums and gather some helpful advice.

I've found out that I'm just going to have to group most of the time as the sorcerer, and to be honest, I'd rather just stay in that class. I think my spell attacks are probably some of the strongest attacks on the game (I dealt 700+ damage often w/ a chained spell attack on my most recent group mission this afternoon), but when enemies get right up on me I just have no defense for it. I need someone else there with me doing melee or healing like I did today. I found two people to venture with today, and one was a healer, one a warrior, and we sync'ed together quite well.

I have no problem with grouping when I can, because I'd rather group than not. I enjoy it a lot more. But like you hit on, sometimes you simply just can't, and there are some times where I do just like to get out and explore on my own. To top it off, a lot of guys on this game are rushing from place to place and quest to quest as fast as they can like their lives depended on it, and I don't do that. I like to take my time and plan things out a little more, so sometimes I will break away into a new area and just explore or tweak my armor or abilities or whatever.

One thing I've found is that if I sit around an area and wait then one or two others may come to my location and I can group w/ them. That happened today with the rune mission which I was able to complete with two others and then they invited me on a subsequent quest with them.

So I'm back into it now--just going to have to be a little more discrete when dealing with quests that should be grouped from the beginning instead of wasting time trying to tackle it all by myself.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-20-07, 12:14 AM   #83
Blacklash
8^9^3

In Beta I used nukes that snared to keep creates at range as much as possible. When the got close I would hit them with a stun and run, set and try to re snare. If they were low enough life I would simply use my short range heavy hitting fast cast nuke chained together til they dropped. I could usually do that before they greatly reduced my life.

Grouping is were its at though in this game. You have the right idea. Go at your own pace and your life doesn't depend on a silly game. Stay away from stress boys that play that way. They will make you miserable.

Good luck.

You've seen all my screens in this thread, want to see some bullsh#t? A crafting room in Khal with around 16players and bunch of NPCs, highest quality and 16xAF:

That's 1024x in a window There were a lot of players outside too nearby. FPS is the same @ 1680x as well for whatever the reason. It did rise to a whole 20 after I stopped. That shot was upon first entering. The shot's about a week old.
Old 02-20-07, 12:28 AM   #84
Xion X2

Yeah, for whatever reason that's where the engine struggles mightily. Makes no sense. I've seen some graphics out of this game I never thought I'd see and @50fps+ out in wide open environments on a single GTX when I've tested it, but group 10 online characters together in a s****y looking room and you have slow-mo all of a sudden.

Hopefully they'll continue to optimize. I do think it's getting better overall but not necessarily in those parts you describe, though I think it's gotten slightly better in those areas.

Oh, and one think I've found that's really helped me out in casting is this: nrdstrm suggested to go ahead and charge the bolts as the first cast, so that's what I've been doing. Instead of freezing first, I'll hit them w/ bolts first since it takes long (they don't bullrush while it charges.) Then after the bolts hit them I can immediately hit them w/ a freeze spell, then again with bolts/char, then again with freeze, and by that time their life is already halfway diminished or more by the time they've gotten to me.

Still helps me none when gang-rushed, but it's definitely an improvement for 1 on 1. I've been taking down my own level creatures pretty easily w/ this new combo.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz