Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-07, 02:18 AM   #85
Blacklash
8^9^3

Default Re: Vanguard: FFA PvP Server

Sounds good.

I am confused why the game is still so rough and had to pushed out when it, "Wasn't ready" after 5 years.

Anywho, I will be back. I am just going to wait for the metric assload of nerfing and class redesigning to complete. Hopefully, in that time they will continue to optimize performance as well.

Nuke it til it glows!

BTW I've been hearing a lot of crazy computer voodoo mythical bullsh#t that just isn't true about VG; like VG runs better on AMD because it was developed on it and was optimized for it and of course the same is said about AMD video cards.

Just Google Vanguard runs like sh#t or poorly for those that believe that crap. <That's also good for a laugh.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 02:52 AM   #86
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malficar
Just Google Vanguard runs like sh#t or poorly for those that believe that crap. <That's also good for a laugh.
I would, Mal, but my Conroe slows down pulling up all those results.

Yeah, sounds like a real load alright. What's driving me crazy are these stupid pauses where it has to reload an area or something. It always catches me right in the middle of a battle, usually, when I'm casting a spell and because of the reload it cancels the spell out.

But of course it doesn't cancel out the attack of the creature that's usually in the middle of whipping my (#*!@ when the game finally loads up again.

Either that usually happens or it suddenly voids my invisibility spell right in the middle of Lizardman City when 10 suddenly jump on me and I holler "W_T_F !?" so loud everyone in my apartment complex can probably hear it.

I was chatting w/ this guy in my guild tonight and telling him this game still has more bugs than an ant farm. It is the epitome of a love/hate relationship.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 04:25 AM   #87
nrdstrm

I just don't know how these things are happening to you guys...I get hitching, but it has rarely, if ever caused me to die during a fight...It normally doesn't happen then to me...Only upon first loading, or going into a town area...

What I AM GETTING ALOT OF...is CTDs!!! I had 4 in 4 hours tonight. Fortunately I'm really enjoying the game, so it doesn't bother me too much. Really that's no excuse though. They need to get these things (hitching, ctd's, etc) fixed soon. It's going to drive most of the less hardcore away...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 05:23 AM   #88
Xion X2

This isn't hitching that I'm talking about. It is a complete in-game pause that usually lasts for a good 4-5 seconds. The game will just come to a complete stop all of a sudden at the most inopportune time.

It seems to happen a lot down by the river, especially, in the area where the lizardmen and dragon crabs(?) are at.

Magus was playing it with me the other day and his was doing it, too. It's like a 4-5 second lag that comes and goes. Sometimes it will pick my character up in mid-air and drop him back down on the ground when it does it, like it's resetting the scene or something. Very strange.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-20-07, 03:27 PM   #89
Blacklash
8^9^3

Well if you say the game "runs well". Set Highest quality + 16x AF and run around Hathor Zhi or Khal then get back to me. Try the crafting rooms when they are full of other players. Heck try those @ balanced settings. Naturally, don't stare at a wall and say, "I get good FPS." Look across the entire room from one end to the next, or look across that main connecting room in Hathor Zhi when it is full. Depth of field, with players and NPCs = FPS death @ highest quality in cities. It doesn't run well on balanced either in cities with players about.

No game runs like ass on my system except VG in some of its cities with other players about. I don't consider 20FPS acceptable on my system when nothing else I play can put me below 40 @ the highest settings with filtering on. I get those grinding halts on occasion too that Xion mentions. Outdoors run great, save an occasional "grind halt". They have serious issues to address with a decent number of players around one another and particularly in cities.

I'll see you fellows in six months when the largest of nerfs are over and perhaps they have optimized more. Hopefully they will tune the animations too. If you want to read well thought-out criticism of the game try the below thread. L233 is over the top in some cases and right on in others:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37302

Let me know how you like VG post L20.

BTW I am F'n tired of caves too.
Old 02-20-07, 04:02 PM   #90
Xion X2

I've found many of the quests to be really fun, especially when grouping w/ others. I went into a gnome cave up by the refugee camp across the lake from the plains, and it was really cool, although the 3 of us got our butts handed to us on a silver platter. Lots of 14 lvl 3 dots that were a little too much for the 3 of us.

It sucks to get your butts beat by a bunch of midgets.

Of course there's the common "Skin 15 lizards" or "Slay 10 dragon turtles" and stuff like that that gets boring real fast. But the others where you can really explore vast underground caves and such make it all worth it to me.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-20-07, 04:25 PM   #91
Blacklash
8^9^3

/Does Arnold

Ah'll be back...
Old 02-20-07, 04:25 PM   #92
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
This isn't hitching that I'm talking about. It is a complete in-game pause that usually lasts for a good 4-5 seconds. The game will just come to a complete stop all of a sudden at the most inopportune time.

It seems to happen a lot down by the river, especially, in the area where the lizardmen and dragon crabs(?) are at.

Magus was playing it with me the other day and his was doing it, too. It's like a 4-5 second lag that comes and goes. Sometimes it will pick my character up in mid-air and drop him back down on the ground when it does it, like it's resetting the scene or something. Very strange.
You mean "chunking"? It's basically a zone line...Those usually take me .5 seconds to chunk...I wonder if it's cause I'm closer to the server? (About 40 miles)...If it's something different, I havn't experienced it...Ever...

On Any Given Sunday!

Old 02-20-07, 04:31 PM   #93
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malficar
Well if you say the game "runs well". Set Highest quality + 16x AF and run around Hathor Zhi or Khal then get back to me. Try the crafting rooms when they are full of other players. Heck try those @ balanced settings. Naturally, don't stare at a wall and say, "I get good FPS." Look across the entire room from one end to the next, or look across that main connecting room in Hathor Zhi when it is full. Depth of field, with players and NPCs = FPS death @ highest quality in cities. It doesn't run well on balanced either in cities with players about.

No game runs like ass on my system except VG in some of its cities with other players about. I don't consider 20FPS acceptable on my system when nothing else I play can put me below 40 @ the highest settings with filtering on. I get those grinding halts on occasion too that Xion mentions. Outdoors run great, save an occasional "grind halt". They have serious issues to address with a decent number of players around one another and particularly in cities.

I'll see you fellows in six months when the largest of nerfs are over and perhaps they have optimized more. Hopefully they will tune the animations too. If you want to read well thought-out criticism of the game try the below thread. L233 is over the top in some cases and right on in others:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37302

Let me know how you like VG post L20.

BTW I am F'n tired of caves too.
I'm not trying to be smart with you, but have you played a new MMO that uses a forward thinking engine on launch before? EQ1, SWG, EQ2, DOAC, etc all sucked on top of the line systems on launhc. Of course WoW didn't, but that is because graphically it isn't that high end (I'm not arguing artwork right now, just graphic technique)...

Also, the whole "crafting" area thing simply doesn't apply to me...I only get poor framerates in towns, where I spend very little time. I don't craft or do diplomacy, so for myself, performance is acceptable. For a crafter, I could understand your frustration...

On Any Given Sunday!
Old 02-20-07, 04:51 PM   #94
Xion X2

Well it must be something in our settings that's different, nrdstrm. And I'm not the only one who's complained about the 4-5 second lag. Like I said before, Magus experienced it when we were questing together and Malficar also mentioned getting it. In fact, everyone I've chatted with in-game about it has also mentioned it happening on their rigs. And this isn't happening in towns--this is happening out in the various environments that I travel to. Some worse than others but always prevalent.

If it's a normal thing for a newly released MMO to have this many bugs and performance issues, then I can hitch along for the bumpy ride until they're able to work it all out. I just don't want it to be some abnormality that drags on and on and on and on for several months to a year until it's fixed.

This is my first MMO, so I'm not all that familiar about break-in period for these types of games.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-20-07, 05:48 PM   #95
Blacklash
8^9^3

Ok Hathor Zhi crafting room on a noob. Latest DX, latest nVidia Drivers, game fully patched as of today:

VG Highest settings 16xAF:

That's the problem right? ^

Same rooom balanced no AF 1680x:

Same room balanced no AF 1024x:

Pausing thrashing FPS @ both 1680x and 1024x no AF:

BTW I am standing completely still in all these shots save the "pausing" ones.
Old 02-20-07, 08:20 PM   #96
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Well it must be something in our settings that's different, nrdstrm. And I'm not the only one who's complained about the 4-5 second lag. Like I said before, Magus experienced it when we were questing together and Malficar also mentioned getting it. In fact, everyone I've chatted with in-game about it has also mentioned it happening on their rigs. And this isn't happening in towns--this is happening out in the various environments that I travel to. Some worse than others but always prevalent.

If it's a normal thing for a newly released MMO to have this many bugs and performance issues, then I can hitch along for the bumpy ride until they're able to work it all out. I just don't want it to be some abnormality that drags on and on and on and on for several months to a year until it's fixed.

This is my first MMO, so I'm not all that familiar about break-in period for these types of games.
Well, you could do one of 2 things...
1) Sit out for a few months until things get ironed out and come back...
2) Wait it out for a month or so...If there isn't drastic imporvement in the areas you speak of, then maybe it's time to go...

I'm still puzzled by the 3-4sec pausing though...I just don't get that in fights at all...I think it's maybe happened to me once or twice in a dungeon, but never out in the open...I wonder if it could be a zone thing...I mostly fight in Thestra...

On Any Given Sunday!