Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-07, 11:47 AM   #1
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok
Default Talk about hitting the wall. Look at these PSP "sales"

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/S...ews.asp?c=2247

Now we all know Sony refuses to report sales numbers, instead opting for "Shipped" numbers. Even so, PSP shipments to the US were only 100,000 over 3 months leading up to Christmas! And this was with games like Metal Gear Solid coming out on the PSP. Now one could argue that the launch of the Wii and the PS3 overshadowed the PSP (well, maybe just the Wii ), but that wouldn't account for the DS's explosive sales which to this day still sell at every increasing rates.

PSP. Stick a fork in it, its done.
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 11:59 AM   #2
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

Default Re: Talk about hitting the wall. Look at these PSP "sales"

just sold mine 2 weeks back. Lucky I recovered the entire cost and then some. Mine was the rare 1.5 firmware, which is probably the only reason to have one right now. Another one of Sony's potientially great product gone to waste.
Old 01-31-07, 12:28 PM   #3
siorai
rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog
just sold mine 2 weeks back. Lucky I recovered the entire cost and then some. Mine was the rare 1.5 firmware, which is probably the only reason to have one right now. Another one of Sony's potientially great product gone to waste.
1.5 is hardly rare anymore since a downgrader has been released for 3.03 and below...

I've still got my PSP and I love it. The games that I loved to play before, I still love to play. I have yet to see anything video-wise that makes me want to switch from my PSP either. With the custom firmwares out there now, I think the PSP is finally starting to actually see it's true potential. It's just too bad that it's taken a fan and not Sony to actually achieve it.

I find it hilarious how so many people jump on the bandwagon of "Oh the PSP isn't selling well. It must suck. I have to get rid of mine now or else I won't be cool!" I'm not saying that's your particular reason tornadog, but I've seen many do it.
siorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 12:43 PM   #4
|MaguS|

My PSP comes to work with me, especially when I have to work on Saturdays and Sundays... I don't leave my office...

My DS saddly hasn't gotten much playtime since I beat the Japanese Import of Beat Agents.
Old 01-31-07, 12:45 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

Nintendo is to handhelds as Microsoft is to operating systems.

Nintendo has proven time and time again, that they are the handheld King, but every once in a while a foolish company like Sony comes around and tries to topple them - and fails. To Sony's credit, they probably did the best out of anyone (though gamegear did decently), but I've heard rumors that Nintendo is going to announce the DS2.0 this year (announce not release) and supposedly it has gamecube caliber graphics which basically stomps any advantage the PSP has over it. Meanwhile the PSP will keep chugging along, but in a year or two it will wither up and die just like all of Nintendo's other competition.

BTW has anyone seen the demographic of people who own PSPs? It's hilarious. The only people walking around New York that have PSPs are the "thugged out" gangsta's. You know the ones with 5lbs of gold bling around their necks, and a 59/50 ballcap with the bill still flat and the price tag still attached. On the other hand people who walk around with a DS Lite are usually normal people.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 12:54 PM   #6
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
BTW has anyone seen the demographic of people who own PSPs? It's hilarious. The only people walking around New York that have PSPs are the "thugged out" gangsta's. You know the ones with 5lbs of gold bling around their necks, and a 59/50 ballcap with the bill still flat and the price tag still attached. On the other hand people who walk around with a DS Lite are usually normal people.
Lol, youre not one of them are you?

BTW, I dont own a psp, and wont be getting one either. I hate handhelds. A waste of time.
H3avyM3tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 12:56 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:

Nintendo has proven time and time again, that they are the handheld King, but every once in a while a foolish company like Sony comes around and tries to topple them - and fails. To Sony's credit, they probably did the best out of anyone (though gamegear did decently), but I've heard rumors that Nintendo is going to announce the DS2.0 this year (announce not release) and supposedly it has gamecube caliber graphics which basically stomps any advantage the PSP has over it. Meanwhile the PSP will keep chugging along, but in a year or two it will wither up and die just like all of Nintendo's other competition.

Gamecube quality graphics?!?! HAHAHAHA This from the company who has given up on the graphics race... I expect the "DS2.0" to have slightly better graphics and probably more interactivity but to say Gamecube quality is just laughable.

BTW, The PSP in sales is not too far behind the DS when you look at the US sales number, worldwide its far behind but in the US its still going pretty strong. DS has 10 million in the US while PSP is almost at 7 million, thats not dominating so much here... I mean thats nothing like the 37million PS2s to the 12 million gamecubes now is it?
Old 01-31-07, 01:03 PM   #8
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal
Lol, youre not one of them are you?
You're right. I consider myself superior to every normal person I encounter.

Old 01-31-07, 01:04 PM   #9
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Gamecube quality graphics?!?! HAHAHAHA This from the company who has given up on the graphics race... I expect the "DS2.0" to have slightly better graphics and probably more interactivity but to say Gamecube quality is just laughable.
This isn't what I said. It's what IGN said. But like I said, it's just a rumor right now, but when you think about it, the technology is there to do it.
Old 01-31-07, 01:07 PM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
This isn't what I said. It's what IGN said. But like I said, it's just a rumor right now, but when you think about it, the technology is there to do it.
The technology was there to make the Wii graphically superior to the X360... Nintendo doesn't care about competing on the graphics end, they have shown us this.

I expect the next Nintendo Handheld to have some sort of motion sensing device or possibly a built in camera...
Old 01-31-07, 01:16 PM   #11
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Quote:

Hmm I've got a PSP (and my friend does as well) and we're not "thugs" (i think..).. We're more of the canadian type.

Anyway, I absolutely love my PSP and wouldn't trade it for a DS ever. Where else can you get awesome Winning Eleven 9 and Metal Gear Portable Ops and Power Stone Collection and F1 2006. My favourite new thing is the PS1 emulator, I can play Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Gran Turismo 2.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-07, 01:26 PM   #12
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
The technology was there to make the Wii graphically superior to the X360... Nintendo doesn't care about competing on the graphics end, they have shown us this.

I expect the next Nintendo Handheld to have some sort of motion sensing device or possibly a built in camera...
I doubt the camera, but perhaps tilt sensors and rumble would be strong additions, especially given that many DS games have rumble options, but you need an add in pack that goes in the GBA slot. Primarily they'd probably go with larger screens, closing up the gap between the screens, and an incremental boost in power, although to be honest I don't see why that would be necessary, especially given that games like Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy III, and Elite Beat Agents have taken up the majority of my play time.
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote