Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-07, 05:18 PM   #1
breakerfall

Default Twinview, nvidia-settings and headaches.

Hi

I've been trying to get twinview to work how I want for a couple of days now, I keep coming close, but I'm not quite there.

I can get twinview to display across both of my screens, just the way I want, when starting x with both displays connected (I'm running on a laptop, with the DFP and an external TFT connected through the VGA port).

What I can't do, is boot up the laptop, startx and THEN connect a screen and use nvidia settings to setup dual screen on the fly. Well, I can enable dual screen, but then windows, dialogs, desktop panels etc, are stretched across both displays. This doesn't happen when I start X with both displays connected though.

So, questions:

1) Is it possible to enable dual screens on the fly, using nvidia-settings, but NOT have windows and widgets stretched across both displays?

2) When the seconday display device has a larger resolution than my primary display, there's obviously a large black void that I can't see, but it exists and unfortunately my mouse pointer can go into it. Is there a way to disable this from happening, without using panning? i.e. I want my screen resolution to be fixed, I want the mouse pointer bound by the resolution so that it can't go past the edge of the screen. Possible?

3) Minor issue... When I start X with both displays and both screens load up correctly - my fonts are slightly smaller than they usually are. This is a strange behaviour. Why would this be happening? Any ideas? Perhaps something to do with DPI? How would I set the config to keep my DPI / fonts at the right size for my primary display?

Here is a screenshot of the font / object size differences:

Before on the left, after on the right

Thanks for taking the time to read my mini-novel. =]

[edit]
The DPI issue has been fixed, using the option:

Code:
Option      "UseEDIDDpi" "DFP-0"
This sets the entire twinview screen to the DPI normally detected and used by the primary display (in my case the laptop screen). You can disable this option altogether and manually enter a DPI if you wish.

I still need to find a fix for my other problems. Anyone? Please?

Last edited by breakerfall; 01-31-07 at 07:22 PM.
breakerfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 02:46 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Twinview, nvidia-settings and headaches.

The reason why windows are stretched over two displays when you enable twinview using nvidia-settings is that the nvidia's xinerama extension is only loaded when X is started with twinview enabled. Nvidia-settings can't load the extension afterwards. I believe xorg 7.2 will allow this soon using randr 1.2 (it will require nvidia driver support)

There's no way to kill the void except for panning. You could also consider using seperate X screens, that way both screens behave as 'two X servers' and can be given their own desktop. That way they can have different resolutions.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-07, 05:35 AM   #3
breakerfall

Default Re: Twinview, nvidia-settings and headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
The reason why windows are stretched over two displays when you enable twinview using nvidia-settings is that the nvidia's xinerama extension is only loaded when X is started with twinview enabled. Nvidia-settings can't load the extension afterwards. I believe xorg 7.2 will allow this soon using randr 1.2 (it will require nvidia driver support)

There's no way to kill the void except for panning. You could also consider using seperate X screens, that way both screens behave as 'two X servers' and can be given their own desktop. That way they can have different resolutions.
Ok thanks for the response, at last a straight answer. Hehe, I spent most of yesterday being told it worked just the way I wanted for other people and to try this config and that config - sigh.

I don't want to use a seperate X screen - I want the extended desktop and the interaction between them, I was just hoping that, seeing as I can't access the black void, maybe somehow the mouse could be bound to the edge of the display. I mean, if they can limit the desktop wallpaper to fit inside the screen boundaries, why can't they do the same with the mouse pointer?

Anyway, thanks again - at least there will be a solution to the main problem I had soon(ish). So it should be supported with Xorg 7.2, but the current drivers don't support it yet?

[edit]
I just checked my Xorg log and it seems that even with only 1 screen, Twinview is load...

Quote:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView" "1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): TwinView enabled
(WW) NVIDIA(0): TwinView requested, but only 1 display devices found.
(==) RandR enabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Shouldn't that mean that nvidia-settings should be able to make use of the xinerama extension? Why can't things be easy when they're supposed to be?

Last edited by breakerfall; 02-01-07 at 05:57 AM.
breakerfall is offline   Reply With Quote