Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-07, 05:37 PM   #13
DeeZiD

Default Re: 8800 GTX Performance (9746)

There's no problem with kwin.
Kwin should be even much more faster than metacity. It's just the Kubuntu default theme's fault.

Crystal is slow as hell. Just select another Theme engine like plastik and it should be fast again.

regards Dennis
DeeZiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 06:39 AM   #14
bpepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeZiD
There's no problem with kwin.
Kwin should be even much more faster than metacity. It's just the Kubuntu default theme's fault.

Crystal is slow as hell. Just select another Theme engine like plastik and it should be fast again.

regards Dennis
I'll give that a try as soon as I can figure out where in kubuntu they've hidden the screen to change the desktop theme. I would have thought it would be under the System Settings and then Appearance or Desktop but I don't see anything there with a desktop theme setting where I can change it from Crystal to something else. Any hints???
bpepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 06:56 AM   #15
bpepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpepers
I'll give that a try as soon as I can figure out where in kubuntu they've hidden the screen to change the desktop theme. I would have thought it would be under the System Settings and then Appearance or Desktop but I don't see anything there with a desktop theme setting where I can change it from Crystal to something else. Any hints???
I ran kontrol manually and that allowed me to change the theme. After changing the theme to Keramik, the speed is much better. Its still not 100% but at least I can grab a large window and drag it around without everything coming to a halt and it moving in jerky steps. It is still slower than Crystal was on my 7900 card so there is still a problem but it looks like the problem is really bad when using the Crystal theme in particular. There are still pauses when switching desktops but its not as bad as before.

I think its all pointing to the speed problem already reported with the 9746 driver and I hope there is a fix in the next version that we can test to make sure that it was the problem!
bpepers is offline   Reply With Quote