Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-07, 12:29 PM   #1
Zelda_fan

Default nVidia bashes Nintendo

Seems to be the popular thing to do these days.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/760/760643p1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidia
"They're talking nonsense," he said of Nintendo assertion that videogame graphics have reached a saturation point. "It's ridiculous sot say that graphics don't matter. That's like saying 'The quality of my TV screen doesn't matter.' Oh really? So then in that case, you can go watch 24 in black-and-white on a seven-inch screen. It's nonsense to say graphics don't matter. I think we can do a lot better, but I think we'd like to see graphics encompassing the gameplay."
I don't blame them. nVidia makes their bacon on "better graphics" so I really don't blame them for attacking Nintendo's highly successful idea. But if you look at which company it turning the biggest profit, I think you'll see who is right .
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:34 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: nVidia bashes Nintendo

It's all sour grapes. NVIDIA got screwed on the Xbox, and they're getting screwed on the PS3.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:37 PM   #3
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I think actually nVidia is doing the screwing with the PS3. MS was getting screwed with the xbox becuase nVidia didn't want to lower their margins on the profit they made from their part of the xbox. Because Sony did an "OH SH*T" about realizing they needed a real GPU, they didn't have the time to do the R&D or licensing agreement not to have nVidia bend them over.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:38 PM   #4
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
It's all sour grapes. NVIDIA got screwed on the Xbox, and they're getting screwed on the PS3.
How are they getting screwed with the PS3?

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:41 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
How are they getting screwed with the PS3?
becasue nVidia makes the GPU in the highly unsuccessful PS3, and ATI/AMD makes the GPU in the highly successful XBOX360 and Nintendo Wii.

nVidia may own the desktop graphics market, but in 3rd part applications they are getting screwed.
Old 02-02-07, 12:44 PM   #6
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
becasue nVidia makes the GPU in the highly unsuccessful PS3, and ATI/AMD makes the GPU in the highly successful XBOX360 and Nintendo Wii.

nVidia may own the desktop graphics market, but in 3rd part applications they are getting screwed.
Highly unsuccessful and it's not even a year old yet.....right...

Really that doesn't matter since the deal Sony made with Nvidia was to pay them upfront for the technology. It was different with Xbox since nvidia made money off of each one sold. Considering Nvidia probably didn't really have to break it's back to R&D RSX for PS3 it didn't cost them much to hand over the tech.

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 02-02-07, 12:45 PM   #7
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Quote:

Almost every computer I see has ATI or Intel integrated graphics too. I mean, assuming they have integrated graphics. I've never seen a computer yet with nvidia integrated graphics. I'm sure the exist, but they sure aren't common.

Still, when I build a PC again, I've got my eye on the 8800 GTS
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:46 PM   #8
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Highly unsuccessful and it's not even a year old yet.....right...

Really that doesn't matter since the deal Sony made with Nvidia was to pay them upfront for the technology. It was different with Xbox since nvidia made money off of each one sold. Considering Nvidia probably didn't really have to break it's back to R&D RSX for PS3 it didn't cost them much to hand over the tech.
The Wii is highly successful, and it's not a year old. I'm just judge Nintendo and Sony by the same standards. I guess we have to lower the bar when we're talking about Sony, right?

Old 02-02-07, 12:49 PM   #9
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Doesn't Nvidia get a percentage per 360 sale anyway? Thought I read that somewhere because of the whole backwards compatability problems or something.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:50 PM   #10
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
The Wii is highly successful, and it's not a year old. I'm just judge Nintendo and Sony by the same standards. I guess we have to lower the bar when we're talking about Sony, right?
Heh, according to Sony you shouldn't even mention the Wii in the same sentence as the PS3.

I just don't think Sony or Nvidia would start to fret over their sales in the first 2-3 months. I'd only see that happening if they knew they didn't have a real plan to help sales pick up.

60gb PS3 Owner
Old 02-02-07, 12:55 PM   #11
OWA

Quote:
I don't know. It doesn't seem like to me that they're after the same type people/market. It's kind of like comparing sports cars to an economy car. IMO, the head-to-head competitor for the PS3 is the X360. The Wii is more of an indirect competitor to both (again, just IMO).
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:57 PM   #12
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

I agree with it being an indirect competitor, which is why it will do real well because it is off on its own category.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote