Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-07, 12:05 PM   #13
Zelda_fan

Default Re: nVidia bashes Nintendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
I don't know. It doesn't seem like to me that they're after the same type people/market. It's kind of like comparing sports cars to an economy car. IMO, the head-to-head competitor for the PS3 is the X360. The Wii is more of an indirect competitor to both (again, just IMO).
That's not really a good analogy imho.

Reason being is becasue a lot of people are having fun on the Wii and they have no interest in the HI-DEF gaming on the 360 or PS3. It's not really a different type of machine as it is a different type of fun.

Nintendo is going after the crowd that wants more interactivity and a connection to the games, and judging from the sales numbers, a lot of people feel the same way.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:06 PM   #14
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Doesn't Nvidia get a percentage per 360 sale anyway? Thought I read that somewhere because of the whole backwards compatability problems or something.
There was that speculation, but neither Microsoft or nVidia have come out and said such.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:14 PM   #15
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan

Reason being is becasue a lot of people are having fun on the Wii and they have no interest in the HI-DEF gaming on the 360 or PS3. It's not really a different type of machine as it is a different type of fun.

Nintendo is going after the crowd that wants more interactivity and a connection to the games, and judging from the sales numbers, a lot of people feel the same way.
So answer this...You think if PS3, Xbox360 and Wii were the same price the Wii would still be selling as good as it is?

Price is a major factor and the fact that a lot of people just can't afford HDTVs and a 400-600 dollar game console has a lot to do with the Wii's success.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:15 PM   #16
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
Highly unsuccessful and it's not even a year old yet.....right...

Really that doesn't matter since the deal Sony made with Nvidia was to pay them upfront for the technology. It was different with Xbox since nvidia made money off of each one sold. Considering Nvidia probably didn't really have to break it's back to R&D RSX for PS3 it didn't cost them much to hand over the tech.
Hitting the second paragraph first. I am under the impression that nVidia and Sony signed the same kind of deal that nVidia and Microsoft did. The deal was money up front and money per chip, which is why nVidia announced a drop in their financial due to slow ps3 sales. However, this time around nVidia bumped up the amount up front and amount per chip. So, in the event the PS3 sells well, nVidia is poised to make a bundle.

As for the first paragraph. The PS3 is in the same market as the Wii, regardless price point. The Wii has been selling 3:1 to the PS3. As such the PS3 isn't selling well. However simply because the PS3 isn't selling well now, doesn't mean it will not sell well in the future. We really need six months of data in a market to gauge sales, that means that in the UK we will be waiting till November to comment on sales there.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:19 PM   #17
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Hitting the second paragraph first. I am under the impression that nVidia and Sony signed the same kind of deal that nVidia and Microsoft did. The deal was money up front and money per chip, which is why nVidia announced a drop in their financial due to slow ps3 sales. However, this time around nVidia bumped up the amount up front and amount per chip. So, in the event the PS3 sells well, nVidia is poised to make a bundle.

As for the first paragraph. The PS3 is in the same market as the Wii, regardless price point. The Wii has been selling 3:1 to the PS3. As such the PS3 isn't selling well. However simply because the PS3 isn't selling well now, doesn't mean it will not sell well in the future. We really need six months of data in a market to gauge sales, that means that in the UK we will be waiting till November to comment on sales there.
I still don't think it's direct, kind of like what OWA was saying.

Also about the deal isn't Sony still using it's own fabs to make the chip. This is one of the articles I remember reading about the deal.

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5177

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:21 PM   #18
LurkerLito

I think Nvidia has a point. I love the Wii and Zelda is a great game, but even with the component cables I still find the graphics feel old. There seems like there is no AA at all and it looks exactly the same as the PS2 games I tried on the PS3. When you play Zelda you can't help but think how much better the game would be if the Wii could have the same power as the PS3 or 360 and it was playing at 720p or higher.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:22 PM   #19
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

I wouldn't exactly say the PS3 is unsuccessful. It's selling at a similar or slightly lower rate than the 360. It's much rather a case of the Wii doing phenomenally well than anything else.

From what I gather, the 360 sold ten million units in about 14 months while the PS3 has sold ~1.3 million units in just over 2 months.

-Aristotle
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:23 PM   #20
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito
I think Nvidia has a point. I love the Wii and Zelda is a great game, but even with the component cables I still find the graphics feel old. There seems like there is no AA at all and it looks exactly the same as the PS2 games I tried on the PS3. When you play Zelda you can't help but think how much better the game would be if the Wii could have the same power as the PS3 or 360 and it was playing at 720p or higher.
Yes the game would have looked crisper, but to be honest, after 20 minutes into the game I completely forgot about the graphics and just focused on how much fun I was having.

Old 02-02-07, 12:24 PM   #21
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
So answer this...You think if PS3, Xbox360 and Wii were the same price the Wii would still be selling as good as it is?

Price is a major factor and the fact that a lot of people just can't afford HDTVs and a 400-600 dollar game console has a lot to do with the Wii's success.
Obviously the more expensive you make something the less people will buy it, but you can say the same thing about the PS3 and XBOX360. If they amped up the price another $200, do you think many people would buy them at all?

I can afford to spend "whatever" and I still think the Wii is the most fun of the three (and I own two of them).
Old 02-02-07, 12:31 PM   #22
OWA

Quote:

I was just trying to say they don't have the same capabilities and aren't really in the same price range so I think they're trying to appeal to different people/markets. Also, while there is some overlap, to me, the style of games also seems to be kind of different.

I agree with your comment that it could be considered more along the lines of a "different type of fun" also and maybe that's a better way to think about it.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:33 PM   #23
nemecb

Quote:
Yes the game would have looked crisper, but to be honest, after 20 minutes into the game I completely forgot about the graphics and just focused on how much fun I was having.
Yeah, it took me more than 20 minutes (actually it took me playing some GC games and realizing how much better Zelda looks), but I'm actually enjoying the graphics to some extent now. They may not be very advanced technically, but the art direction is very good.

And honestly, I think the Wii would be selling almost as well as it is now if it were the same price as the other consoles. Maybe not if they were all $600 like the PS3, but then none of them would be selling well IMHO. People aren't buying the Wii because of its price. Most of the people who've played mine say they want one and then ask what the price is, not the other way around. Price might be encouraging them, but it's not the reason for the purchase.

Edit: And on the original topic of this post (remember what that was?), it's just sour grapes. nVidia is currently losing out badly in the console market, so naturally they're not thrilled.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 12:39 PM   #24
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
And honestly, I think the Wii would be selling almost as well as it is now if it were the same price as the other consoles. Maybe not if they were all $600 like the PS3, but then none of them would be selling well IMHO. People aren't buying the Wii because of its price. Most of the people who've played mine say they want one and then ask what the price is, not the other way around. Price might be encouraging them, but it's not the reason for the purchase.
I think if the Wii was $300 (same price as 360 core) it would be selling almost as good.