Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-07, 12:37 PM   #25
d_u_s_t

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

relifram:
It looks like you compiled the Xserver with wrong/local prefix (/usr/local). This sould be ok but might cause some trouble when it comes to big packages like X.
Try to create /usr/local/var/log/ and see if it works.
Recompile:
Check "./configure --help" in the Xserver's source.
"./configure --prefix=/usr" sould work.
Also check if there are other special prefix options and add it to the command.
Try these options:
localstatedir=DIR modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
--> "--localstatedir=/var"
and
sysconfdir=DIR read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
--> "--sysconfdir=/etc"

geek777:
You need to get/install the source package for Xserver (1.2.0?).
Download the patch from my last post.
Go into the source dir (/usr/src/xserver...?).
Try "patch -p1 --dry-run < /path/to/my/patch.txt"
If there are no errors do "patch -p1 < /path/to/my/patch.txt"
Compile/Install the source (./configure, make, make install?), also see above.

Don't expect too much. Depending on your video cards you might get worse performance or instability.
I tried it with two Nvidia Cards. A new PCI-E and an old PCI one. The result: I lost openGL and most acceleration (slow rendering and redraws).

Good Luck!
Stefan
d_u_s_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 12:34 PM   #26
geek777

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

Thanks for taking the time to respond Stefan!

This sounds somewhat bleak. As this triple head config is for my main work environment, I may have to live with the slow response for now, as I can't afford for X to be broken more than it is already. If I have some down time, i will try the steps after a full cold backup.

Thanks again for responding!
geek777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 01:10 PM   #27
d_u_s_t

What combination of video cards are you using? It may highly depend on that!

the xserver patch integrates perfectly in 1.2.0 and works like a charm, so the risk should be low (at least with gentoo linux where everything gets compiled anyway)

I read that the best setup for triple head x is to have a mainboard with two AGP/PCI-E slots and same video cards.
not sure about ati but nvidia's drivers support this and even claim to give you acceleration and opengl (on every head).
Old 10-06-07, 10:54 PM   #28
fatespeaks

This would seem to be just what the doctor ordered. I have been using a Matrox TripleHead2Go for a couple of months and I really miss having the window manager respect my display boundaries. Does anyone know if this patch will work on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)?

Cheers,
Aaron
fatespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 11:56 PM   #29
fatespeaks

Alternate solution: The NVidia binary drivers 100.14.19 support an Option named TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride. I used this to fake the Xinerama Info for my TripleHead2Go setup. Though, I think that this option should be driver independent. Hopefully the patch will be included with a future version of Xorg.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 10-10-07, 06:54 PM   #30
fatespeaks

I take it back. Using TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride to divide my screen introduces a few nasty side effects. Now compiz effects and screensavers update each area of my screen separately. In this case, the cure is worse than the disease.

Back to the drawing board,
Aaron
Old 10-11-07, 02:02 PM   #31
d_u_s_t

"update each area of my screen separately"? can you give more details about that and your hw setup? sounds like it might be another problem
Old 10-25-07, 12:20 AM   #32
Kaziya

Hey

has anyone made any update patches for either libxinerama v1.0.2 or xorg server 1.3? or any new work arounds?

Thanks
Kaziya
Kaziya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-07, 02:49 PM   #33
wirelessdreamer

i'm also interested if this has been ported to 7.3. anyone have any information?
wirelessdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 01:25 AM   #34
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatespeaks
I have been using a Matrox TripleHead2Go
Do i understand it correctly that you are using the TripleHead2Go with Linux?

Are there any special actions to do in order to get it working? Is it enough
to define a big enough resolution and then the box will switch to "split mode"?
What resolution are you using? Did you yet tried out to configure a twinview
setup where two displays are connected to the first output of the video card
(through TripleHead2Go) and the third display is connected to the second
output of the video card?

Sorry for being that curious, but i'm looking into an alternative to my
current two card "physical" xinerama solution - i could then look into
how to artificially provide "virtual" xinerama information for only one
screen (currently, my patch above only works when xinerama is actually
active, means when there are at least two screens defined).

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 06:56 PM   #35
fatespeaks

Yes, TripleHead2Go (Analog) is running on my Linux system. I just had to manually edit xorg.conf. I posted my process to an unofficial matrox forum.

I have not tried using TwinView with the TH2G for a total of 4 monitors, yet. But it should work, provided my video card has enough memory. Actually, I am considering buying another TH2G to use with TwinView for a total of 6 monitors, but I'll need a new monitor stand first. Matrox doesn't support 2 of the devices on a single system, but they also don't support Linux.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 02-07-08, 07:29 PM   #36
fatespeaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_u_s_t
"update each area of my screen separately"? can you give more details about that and your hw setup? sounds like it might be another problem
Sorry, I should have clarified that post a little better.

I have not used the patch that was posted in this thread. Though it sounds very promising, I am using a binary distribution and really don't want to manage a custom build of xorg. Instead, I just hacked my xorg.conf a bit to force the nVidia driver to report fake Xinerama info.

What I expect from fake Xinerama is that Gnome will understand the boundaries of my physical monitors. Gnome should maximize windows to a single monitor or snap to the monitor edges as I move windows. And, my hack did that.

But one side effect was that 3-d rendering (Mesa?) appeared to treat the 3 monitors as 3 separate rendering devices. When GL screen savers would kick on, I could see each physical monitor fade to black separately instead of synchronously. It has been a few months since I tried this, but I believe that the GL lattice screen saver would function across all 3 monitors as one large structure, though the animation seemed slow and it looked as if the image for each monitor was being rendered separately. Whereas, without my Xinerama hack, the rendering is quite smooth and the monitors appear to be a single display.

As I proofread this post, it still seems confusing. But, I can't think of a better way to describe this phenomenon.

Cheers,
Aaron