Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-08, 10:11 AM   #37
choogi

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

back to wirelessdreamer's post about 2 months ago, does anyone know if this patch is in xorg 7.3 now? i'm using gentoo and xorg 7.3 isn't stable in the portage tree yet so i'm kind of hesitant about making the switch
choogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 05:45 PM   #38
d_u_s_t

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

choogi: Gentoo xorg 7.3 works great (for me ;-)...
just try the special xorg.conf option provided by the nvidia driver itself (read above) and see if it works for you.

fatespeaks: Sounds weird... but I think I got it
I'm using twinview with two seperate monitors and opengl works synchronously. T2GO is a hardware-only solution and emulates a big display for the graphic card (?)... so I don't see how (faked) xinerama info could affect opengl rendering on ONE SINGLE big screen or slow down rendering. maybe the opengl software you are using is interpreting xinerama info on it's own. also make sure that you are using hardware/direct rendering. mesa is a software only opengl system (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong). Check glxinfo for the line "direct rendering: Yes".

greetz,
dust
d_u_s_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:31 PM   #39
choogi

okay i went ahead and upgraded to xorg7.3 but i still have the problem with twinview not functioning the way i want it to (maximize spans across both screens w/o compiz). somehow compiz will detect the monitor edges and only maximize to each monitor but my menu panels still span across both monitors.

which patch (as there are a few in this thread) should i apply with xorg 7.3?

EDIT: also, compiz is now incredibly slow on my twinview monitors. it takes about 1 second for menus to fade into view and about 1 second for windows to maximize. but for some reason i get about the same fps in glxgears. compiz works just fine on the screen with the separate x server. any ideas?
Old 02-16-08, 06:51 AM   #40
d_u_s_t

You sould first try the xorg.conf-option provided by the nvidia driver without patching anything.
I think the patch has not been ported yet. I presume this shouldn't be difficult, but still I don't see the need for it. Are there any problems with the nvidia option?

Code:
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "string"

This option overrides the values reported by NVIDIA's TwinView Xinerama
implementation. This disregards the actual display devices used by the X 
screen and any order specified in TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder.

The option string is interpreted as a comma-separated list of regions, specified
as '[width]x[height]+[xoffset]+[yoffset]'. The regions' sizes and offsets are 
not validated against the X screen size, but are directly reported to any 
Xinerama client.

Examples:

"1600x1200+0+0, 1600x1200+1600+0"
            "1024x768+0+0, 1024x768+1024+0, 1024x768+0+768, 1024x768+1024+768"
Another solution:
If you just want to "maximize spans across both screens" then just try this:

Code:
Option "NoTwinViewXineramaInfo" "boolean"

When in TwinView, the NVIDIA X driver normally provides a Xinerama extension
that X clients (such as window managers) can use to discover the current 
TwinView configuration, such as where each display device is positioned within
the X screen. Some window mangers get confused by this information, so this 
option is provided to disable this behavior. Default: false (TwinView Xinerama 
information is provided).
It should suppress Xinerama information and apps see one single big screen across both displays.

Or try...

Code:
Option "Xinerama"  "false"
...for a driver independent way to get what you want (man xorg.conf).

OH, the "slow compiz with twinview" issue:
I just remember to have read about disabling something like "SYNC TO VBLANK/REFRESH RATE" in compiz's settings. Search this forum, there should be plenty of threads about that.

Good luck!
dustbln
Old 02-17-08, 01:17 AM   #41
choogi

Neither of those solutions seemed to work for me...

When I set "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" in the Device section, I should only put in the two TwinView monitors right?
Old 02-17-08, 06:14 AM   #42
d_u_s_t

You can set any Xinerama-Info YOU want. Its totally independent of your hardware configuration (except that you need the nvidia-driver to use this feature)

Example:
If you have two Monitors (at 1280x1024) and want to get one large screen that it treated as ONE SINGLE (twinview) display, you would set...

Code:
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "2560x1024+0+0"

good luck!
dustbln
Old 02-17-08, 10:54 AM   #43
choogi

Ah, what a versatile feature. For my Twinview setup I put this in my Screen section:

Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "1680x1050+0+0, 1680x1050+1680+0"

Putting it in the device section doesn't change anything.

...yet when I maximize windows still maximize to both monitors =(
Old 02-17-08, 11:35 AM   #44
d_u_s_t

Well, I think I got you wrong. I thought this was what you were looking for (compiz and apps seeing one single wide screen and thus maximizing to both displays).

Your
Quote:
looks correct to me and should create Xinerama information about two seperate screens.

BUT this doesn't mean anything - apps still see ONE SINGLE big screen. It is up to the app (e.g. menu panel, firefox ...) and window manager (metacity, kwin, compiz ...) to use provided Xinerama information for correct window placement.
If windows still maximize to both screens, it looks like your window manager is not using this information correctly.

You are using gentoo, so ensure that affected packages are compiled with Xinerama USE flag (add it to /etc/make.conf). re-emerge them if necessary.
Also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any errors. You can use this command line in a terminal window:
Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -e '(EE)' -e '(WW)'
Which window manager / desktop environment are you using? gnome? kde? with or without compiz?

greetz,
dustbln

Old 02-17-08, 11:18 PM   #45
choogi

I have xinerama set in my make.conf use flags so it should compile everything with xinerama right?

I'm using gnome w/ compiz-fusion.

Nothing in my xorg.0.log seems out of the ordinary.

When I'm only using 2 monitors in Twinview, I don't have the problem (ie windows maximize to only one monitor). It's only when I add the separate X screen (3rd monitor) that my Twinview seems to break. This problem's been driving me nuts!
Old 02-18-08, 01:55 PM   #46
d_u_s_t

Ok, think I got it now... ;-)

Are you using
with _3_ monitors? That may be the reason for your trouble...

You have to specify all screens in your TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride - even non-nvidia/twinview displays

greetz,
dustbln
Old 02-19-08, 09:18 AM   #47
choogi

Still doesn't work =(

I'm using:
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" "1680x1050+0+0, 1680x1050+1680+0, 1680x1050+3360+0"

Any other ideas?
Old 02-20-08, 04:17 PM   #48
d_u_s_t

Hmmm...
Compiz still doesn't respect the three displays when maximizing windows?
Well, there are plenty of other pitfalls...
  • check if it works without compiz (by using metacity or whatever window manager gnome offers)
  • try to set display information by hand:
    Enter you display configuration in compiz's setting (under General/Display Settings, use e.g. ccsm). You _may_ also need to uncheck both VBlank sync / autodetect or others...

Good luck!
dustbln