Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-08, 08:11 PM   #61
JaXXoN

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbobmx View Post
FYI, that the "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" X option will probably do this without the need for patching the X server.
The TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride options doesn't work when "true" xinerama is enabled!

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 11:37 PM   #62
xbobmx

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXXoN View Post
The TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride options doesn't work when "true" xinerama is enabled!
Fair enough.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 06:27 PM   #63
beph

Quote:
Which resolution do you need? You can have up to 4800x1200
(and probably 5760x1080, but didn't tested that) with DH2G/TH2G!
Please check:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106517

regards

Bernhard
Hello, thx for the quick response sorry for my delayed answer, I assumed that I would get an notification for each answer to this thread but this was not the case.

I have 3 30" screens rotated, so the resolution would be 5200x2560(3x1600and +2x200 to remove the borders).
TH2G are only low res so I can't use it unfortunately:-(
beph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 11:07 AM   #64
Nilzao

Hi all, nice job JaXXoN.

I'm a Slackware user, just user, not a ninja user or a hack user.

I got 2 pci cards model GeForce 4 MX 4000 installed.
4 monitors. 2 CRT 1024x768 and 2 DFP 1280x1024.

Made it with Slackware 12.0 Xorg 1.3.0 kernel 2.6 Nvidia X Driver 96.43.07 with Kde.

With xinerama enabled and both cards with twinview, performance goes great, and 2 big screens with the 4 monitors.

Quote:
For a triple head setup where two displays are configured as TwinView,
the Xinerama extension doesn't provide convenient information to
applications.
In my case four head setup.

Things i tryed:
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride" Xorg.log reports that that Option was ignored.

When writing 4 cards at xorg.conf with screen0 screen1:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card1"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
   Screen 0
   BusID "PCI:2:7:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card2"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT"
   Screen 1
   BusID "PCI:2:7:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card3"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
   Screen 0
   BusID "PCI:2:9:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Card4"
   Driver "nvidia"
   Option "UseDisplayDevice" "CRT"
   Screen 1
   BusID "PCI:2:9:0"
EndSection

#supose All screen sections ok and Xinerama ON at ServerLayout
Worked great with xinerama, and screens sizes, monitor areas, X server hold the mouse pointer.

And got all the same problems posted by lots of other users:
"when Xinerama is enabled in case of twinview, things goes slow, badly slow"

So i tryed the Super Jamie thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jamie View Post
Sorry to be a pest, but is it at all possible to write a howto on compiling this under Debian or Ubuntu? Or perhaps post a binary?

edit: actually, disregard that request. i found this other Fake Xinerama, which does the same thing, and works great for me!
http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/fakexinerama/
In my case Slackware, I made this way, and worked for me too (almost great).

Performance ok, window size for maximize ok. Now i got a new problem.

"the twin view HAVE to get 2 monitors with same resolution to fit, X server cant hold the mouse pointer at the CRT monitors, have to use virtual space to scrool the area."

I tryed to use the nv opensource driver, i don need GL accell to work (just to the screensaver )
With nv driver have to make the 4 cards and use screen0 screen1. With a GeForce 5200 FX worked. With my dual pci GeForce4 MX 4000 didn't. It says "entity already in use" when loading X server.

Tryed to use nv + fbdev or nv + nvidia, and all get the same message.

Its time to make some bug reports.

#1 NvDrivers cant tell Xinerama with TwinView the size of screens (for a third or more screens). Becouse
TwinView HAVE to assume Xinerama job. And cant assume a third part card to make it.

#2 NvDrivers cant be used (with good performance) with Xinerama with separeted cards and separeted screens defined at xorg.conf without using twinview.

#3 Twinview cant fit the size of screen in lower resolution than the neighbor monitor.

Some story about #2:
I tryed some options at xorg.conf to work better:
AllowGLXWithComposite "false"
UseFBDev "true"
and some other combinations randomly.

Now the questions:

Question for #2:
"Can i get good performance disabling GL or some funciont at nvidia driver at xorg.conf?"
Rule: "using Xinerama, and 4 cards and 4 screens defined"

Question for #3
"Can i make the Twinview hold the mouse pointer at the CRT screens with low resolution?"

Soon i will try to patch my Xorg server to use the "Option XineramaInfo" at xorg.conf, i just don't know how to patch something in Slackware yet.

Thanks a lot, this topic really helped me till now.
Nilzao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-10, 08:48 PM   #65
Edwardly

So, whenever I tried using full xinerama, I got a lovely driver crash. When I tried with TwinView and a seperate screen, I got applications extending to the entire twinview.

I updated some old patch, and I'm pretty sure I found it somewhere around here.

I decided it'd be best to put it back where I found it. It would be nice if twinview worked fine when I'm using a third monitor, without xinerama, though.

Edward
Attached Files
File Type: gz 1.8.0-xinerama-spoof-info.patch.gz (1.7 KB, 118 views)
Edwardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 10:49 AM   #66
warer

Any update to this issue now in 2011? I am still having this problem. Even nvidia option TwinViewXineramaInfoOverride doesn't seem to work.

Is fakeXinerama the only way to go? Is there an updated version for the newest Xorg?
warer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 11:36 AM   #67
BitJam

Here are two different versions of fake xinerama:

http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/fakexinerama/

http://lists.suckless.org/dev/0910/1599.html

If neither of these work, maybe you could upload xinerama.c from the version of Xorg you are using.
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 11:51 AM   #68
warer

my libxinerama source is from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/maveric...nerama/2:1.1-3

Can't get the one from http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/fakexinerama/ to compile, error output: http://paste.ubuntu.com/556232/

Old 01-21-11, 03:50 AM   #69
BitJam

I've got a fairly recent Xorg server here. My original Xinerama.c looks a lot like yours. They are probably identical. The fake Xinerama.c compiles fine here with gcc-4.1.2 and gcc-4.4.4. The more recent gcc does give me one earning about the return value from fgets not being used.

I looked at my /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h header file and it has a wchar_t defined inside a tyepdef on each of the three lines where you are getting your first 3 error messages regarding wchar_t so I think those files are close to being the same as well.

I stumped for now. One thing you could try would be to unpack the original libxinerama tarball, cd to the created directory and run:
Code:
$ ./configure
$ make
That also works here just fine. I'd bet/hope that it fails for you. If so, then there might be a problem with your tool chain that is probably unrelated to the fake-xinerama code. There could also be a problem with your include files but I don't think they would cause the kinds of errors you're getting.

Your error messages are so severe and plentiful, I would guess the problem is very basic.
Old 01-21-11, 04:08 AM   #70
warer

I just deleted /usr/include and reinstalled all the dev libs. Now it works. Just reinstalling them didn't have any effect. Must have had some strange version of a header file. Though it was not any of those in the error log.

Will check fakeXinerama tonight
Old 01-21-11, 11:51 AM   #71
BitJam

Glad to hear you got it to compile. The original version of Xinerama.c that we are using has functionality that is not present in the fake Xinerama.c so it is quite possible that you will run into link-time or runtime problems, but getting it to compile was the first step.

It was rather trivial to create a version of Xinerama.c from the original with the new (fake) XineramaQueryScreens() and supporting routines. I got it to compile but I haven't tried linking or running so there are probably some bugs to fix. I can post it if you want. It would be pretty easy to do yourself with just a little copy and paste. I may not have time to do much more.
Old 01-21-11, 12:04 PM   #72
warer

This is way too much hassle though just to make 3 monitors work. I might just buy another 24 inch and use two