Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-07, 10:16 AM   #1
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Default DVD and video playback on LCD HDTV

If I have a 32in HDTV LCD with a 1366x768 native resolution, and I try and watch a DVD or a video file from my PC,.... what resolution will the media be displayed at, ie, will it be at the files own resolution, or will the TV enlarge it to fill the screen?
RupertBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 11:12 AM   #2
superklye

Default Re: DVD and video playback on LCD HDTV

Your TV should allow you to stretch the picture to take up the full 16:9 aspect ratio if you're viewing a 4:3 source, but why you'd want to do that is beyond me.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 04:30 PM   #3
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertBanana
If I have a 32in HDTV LCD with a 1366x768 native resolution, and I try and watch a DVD or a video file from my PC,.... what resolution will the media be displayed at, ie, will it be at the files own resolution, or will the TV enlarge it to fill the screen?
it will most likely be at whatever rest your player outputs. Most tvs don't upscale the video, so it will most likely be in 480i. (It just streches the image to fit the screen.) If you get a newer dvd player, you can probably find one that does 480p or can upscale the picture to whatever you want.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-07, 11:24 PM   #4
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Your TV should allow you to stretch the picture to take up the full 16:9 aspect ratio if you're viewing a 4:3 source, but why you'd want to do that is beyond me.
If a DVD is 720x480{NTSC} or 720x576{PAL}, then you run it on a 720p moniter, does the image lose it's clarity?
When you run a low resolution video file at 100%, it's looks tight, but if you run it at 200%, it looks grainy......is this what will happen to a DVD on a 720p HDTV, or will the upscale maintain picture quality?
Old 02-04-07, 11:29 PM   #5
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
it will most likely be at whatever rest your player outputs. Most tvs don't upscale the video, so it will most likely be in 480i. (It just streches the image to fit the screen.) If you get a newer dvd player, you can probably find one that does 480p or can upscale the picture to whatever you want.
I'm using my Lite-On DVD burner for DVD playback on my existing 19in CRT.....and DVD's look great, but they're at 1:1 pixel ratio aren't they?

So if the HDTV can't upscale, then won't a stretched DVD lose PQ?

I'm assuimg that stretched means "double or increase size, but lose PQ"
I'm assuming that upscale means.."double or increase size, but maintain PQ via the TV's video processor".
Old 02-04-07, 11:55 PM   #6
Bman212121

Quote:
I'm using my Lite-On DVD burner for DVD playback on my existing 19in CRT.....and DVD's look great, but they're at 1:1 pixel ratio aren't they?

So if the HDTV can't upscale, then won't a stretched DVD lose PQ?

I'm assuimg that stretched means "double or increase size, but lose PQ"
I'm assuming that upscale means.."double or increase size, but maintain PQ via the TV's video processor".
I probably can't give you the best definition, but in the context of how I was referring to it, is that streching is like taking a magnifing glass to zoom the picture, you are still using the same number of pixels to create the image, and thus it appears jaggy and not very crisp. If you use an upscaler, the device adds in extra pixels to the image, to help smooth out the image. The source file may be low, but the upscaler tries to improve the picture by blending in extra pixels into the image. I'm not sure if that is the "correct" definition of how it does it, but it is something to that effect.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 12:57 AM   #7
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I probably can't give you the best definition, but in the context of how I was referring to it, is that streching is like taking a magnifing glass to zoom the picture, you are still using the same number of pixels to create the image, and thus it appears jaggy and not very crisp. If you use an upscaler, the device adds in extra pixels to the image, to help smooth out the image. The source file may be low, but the upscaler tries to improve the picture by blending in extra pixels into the image. I'm not sure if that is the "correct" definition of how it does it, but it is something to that effect.
Ok, based on that, stretching an image sux, but upscaling is fine.
At this stage, I'm just planning on getting a 32-40inch LCD HDTV for my PC, so that means I'll still be using my PC's DVD player......as such, I need to make sure that the TV can upscale DVD and 576i/576p content otherwise the image quality will be laughable{I have a HDTV capture card as well}

I thought your explanation was excellent btw.

I guess the new 40inch Samsung 1920x1080 LCD HDTV's would have to have built in upscale circuitry, otherwise even a 720p broadcast would look small @1:1 pixels....ie, 1280x720p.
Old 02-05-07, 01:10 AM   #8
GamerGuyX

Buy into either Blu-ray and/or HD DVD and you won't have to worry about movies looking like crap on your LCD HDTV.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-07, 01:32 AM   #9
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
Buy into either Blu-ray and/or HD DVD and you won't have to worry about movies looking like crap on your LCD HDTV.
What if one of the formats goes under?
Also, my DVD player doubles as a recorder.

I was hoping to buy a HDTV LCD monitor and use it for my PC, gaming and HDTV viewing.
Old 02-05-07, 10:12 AM   #10
evilchris

Quote:
What if one of the formats goes under?
Also, my DVD player doubles as a recorder.

I was hoping to buy a HDTV LCD monitor and use it for my PC, gaming and HDTV viewing.
If one goes under the movies will still work. They won't self destruct.
Old 02-05-07, 12:23 PM   #11
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
If one goes under the movies will still work. They won't self destruct.
I'm not into gambling on over-rated and lowly spec gadgets.

In Australia, these are the price points......{all in $AUD}

Bray player=$1500
HD DVD player=$1000
Panasonic DVD recorder with 160gig HDD+integrated SD tuner=$700.
Panasonic DVD recorder with 160gig HDD+analog tuner=$500
Samsung DVD recorder+ NO HDD=$200

Now, why on earth would I buy either a Bray or HD DVD player?
Old 02-08-07, 11:35 PM   #12
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Now, why on earth would I buy either a Bray or HD DVD player?
I don't know what a "Bray" player is but I do know that a Blu-ray and/or HD DVD player would give you the absolute finest presentation a movie can give you.

That is unless you prefer 720x640 resolution over 1920x1080.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote