Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-07, 01:22 AM   #13
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Default Re: DVD and video playback on LCD HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX
I don't know what a "Bray" player is but I do know that a Blu-ray and/or HD DVD player would give you the absolute finest presentation a movie can give you.

That is unless you prefer 720x640 resolution over 1920x1080.
Congratulations, more mindless arrogance from keyboard warriors who probably aren't even out of high-school, and are free to fantasize about the latest and greatest consumer gear
RupertBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 03:15 PM   #14
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertBanana
If I have a 32in HDTV LCD with a 1366x768 native resolution, and I try and watch a DVD or a video file from my PC,.... what resolution will the media be displayed at, ie, will it be at the files own resolution, or will the TV enlarge it to fill the screen?
Okey so let me get this straight, you want to connect your pc to your TV and watch a DVD on the pc? So you're basically using the lcd tv as a monitor?

And if this is what you're planning on doing the only question you should be asking is whether the picture on your TV will show up correctly, as in 1:1 pixel mapping. So the resolution of the movie in question won't really matter as you'll be able to stretch to fit the screen whatever the quality. It will work just as any pc monitor out there. Hope this helped!
Old 02-09-07, 05:32 PM   #15
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Okey so let me get this straight, you want to connect your pc to your TV and watch a DVD on the pc? So you're basically using the lcd tv as a monitor?

And if this is what you're planning on doing the only question you should be asking is whether the picture on your TV will show up correctly, as in 1:1 pixel mapping. So the resolution of the movie in question won't really matter as you'll be able to stretch to fit the screen whatever the quality. It will work just as any pc monitor out there. Hope this helped!
Well yeah....I was under the impression that if one played a DVD on a HDTV monitor, that the DVD would still look fairly good because the monitor upscaled the media{where upscaling means...:add more pixels to closely match the HDTV's native resolution}.....however, if it merely doubled the image like you can do with WMP11, then presumably, the image quality would degrade...?

For example, if you have a video file @ 320x240, you can use WMP11 to play it @ 100% or 200%, but @ 200% it doesn't look as sharp, although it's a larger image.

I don't mind the idea of having 1:1 pixel mapping, but if the files resolution is relatively low, then it would look tiny on a 13x768 screen wouldn't it?
Old 02-10-07, 01:02 AM   #16
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Congratulations, more mindless arrogance from keyboard warriors who probably aren't even out of high-school, and are free to fantasize about the latest and greatest consumer gear
Actually I have bought everything I own with money I've earned from my job.

Imagine that huh?

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 05:15 AM   #17
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Well yeah....I was under the impression that if one played a DVD on a HDTV monitor, that the DVD would still look fairly good because the monitor upscaled the media{where upscaling means...:add more pixels to closely match the HDTV's native resolution}.....however, if it merely doubled the image like you can do with WMP11, then presumably, the image quality would degrade...?

For example, if you have a video file @ 320x240, you can use WMP11 to play it @ 100% or 200%, but @ 200% it doesn't look as sharp, although it's a larger image.

I don't mind the idea of having 1:1 pixel mapping, but if the files resolution is relatively low, then it would look tiny on a 13x768 screen wouldn't it?
Well I wouldn't exactly call it tiny, but it won't be hd-dvd quality that's for sure. Your computer is the one doing the upscaling when you use the screen as a monitor, so the quality depends on drivers gpu etc..
Stretching a DVD to that resolution won't really make such a huge difference, but I'd say it would look better if you just got a dvd player with a built in upscaler and hdmi out.
Just connect the pc to your TV and judge for yourself, I've found that watching DVDs on my comp really doesn't look that bad.

Old 02-10-07, 01:04 PM   #18
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Well I wouldn't exactly call it tiny, but it won't be hd-dvd quality that's for sure. Your computer is the one doing the upscaling when you use the screen as a monitor, so the quality depends on drivers gpu etc..
Stretching a DVD to that resolution won't really make such a huge difference, but I'd say it would look better if you just got a dvd player with a built in upscaler and hdmi out.
Just connect the pc to your TV and judge for yourself, I've found that watching DVDs on my comp really doesn't look that bad.

Ok no worries.....I'm just collecting some basic facts at the moment, but I want to build a fairly beefy PC because I "cap" and share media with my net buddies.
Old 02-10-07, 01:05 PM   #19
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Actually I have bought everything I own with money I've earned from my job.

Imagine that huh?
WOW, that's exciting Gameyguy.....you must be all of 23 and super-rich, LOLOL.
Old 02-11-07, 02:44 AM   #20
GamerGuyX

Quote:
WOW, that's exciting Gameyguy.....you must be all of 23 and super-rich, LOLOL.
Who said anything about being rich?

Oh right, that was you , you poor mother****er.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]

Old 02-11-07, 06:45 AM   #21
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Who said anything about being rich?

Oh right, that was you , you poor mother****er.
Listen champ.....everyone reading this can tell you're just a punk, so why not disengage whilst your testicals are still intact.
Old 02-11-07, 01:51 PM   #22
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Listen champ.....everyone reading this can tell you're just a punk, so why not disengage whilst your testicals are still intact.
Says the brainless half-wit who's ego is to big to take suggestions from anything but his own imagination.

Old 02-11-07, 02:41 PM   #23
RupertBanana
The Best Far Cry player.

Quote:
Says the brainless half-wit who's ego is to big to take suggestions from anything but his own imagination.
Truth is dummy, you're a smartass hiding behind his keyboard.....you're also likely to be a nerdy type, ie, glasses, skinny, appalling dress sense, appalling hairstyle, and insecure around women and people in general.

Strong, mature and rational people don't feel the need to act like hero's, especially from the vantage point of their PC.

If you have nothing positive or on topic to add, then I suggest you crawl away and digest the painful truths I've deduced about you.....and btw, please don't fire back with some nonsense about being 6ft and macho, unless you plan to offer verifiable photographic evidence.
Old 02-11-07, 03:57 PM   #24
betterdan