Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-07, 11:18 PM   #1
Fuzzy Eric

Question Incorrectly detected Video RAM and Instability

I'm running the nVidia driver 1.0-8776 on Kubuntu 6.10 (kernel 2.6.17) on an Athlon X2. The NVIDIA X Server Settings application reports 256 MB of video memory. This is surprising because the onboard 6150 may be allocated either 64 MB or 128 MB through the BIOS. Is this a problem?

I have also, sporadically, had a problem where I will be using the computer, and suddenly the video display will become "garbage". Garbage is here defined as a tiling, roughly 100 pixels tall and not evenly dividing 1920 (the display width), because subsequent rows of the tiling are not aligned. The garbage is roughly in the same color scheme as the desktop, but is totally randomized pixels. Is this related to the mismatch between reported and allocatable video RAM?

Sometimes, I can go weeks without video corruption striking. I suspect that it is a complicated coincidence of increased system usage, using a dual core processor, and the memory mismatch above. I haven't had an incidence since a batch of upgrades about 2-3 weeks ago, so the problem may have been resolved with a kernel or driver update at that time. However, I've had quiescent periods of several weeks before, so I'm not entirely convinced that my troubles are past.

Nevertheless, is there a problem indicated by the memory mismatch and is there something I can/should do about it?
Fuzzy Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 09:59 PM   #2
Fuzzy Eric

Question Re: Incorrectly detected Video RAM and Instability

Anyone?
Old 02-02-07, 10:06 PM   #3
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Incorrectly detected Video RAM and Instability

Have you tried updating to to lastest driver?? Try that and see how that goes..

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82822
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-07, 01:57 PM   #4
Fuzzy Eric

With the 9746 drivers installed, the situation is "worse". The NVIDIA X Server Settings utility reports 512 MB of memory. The only viable options are 64 MB and 128 MB (the choices available in the BIOS), and 128 MB would be the correct answer.
Old 02-08-07, 11:38 PM   #5
Fuzzy Eric

Any ideas about stopping video corruption which might be related to the driver misidentifying the amount of video RAM available?