Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-07, 01:34 AM   #1
ynnek

Default Final Fantasy XII

Anyone playing this?

I was hesitant in getting another FF, but my friends assured me its the best Final Fantasy ever..

And it is! The graphics are awesome, for the PS2. The artwork and style really work well, so its still enjoyable to look at.
The combat system is totally changed to be more like a modern RPG, and with the gambit system that lets you "program" your companions, they fixed just about everything I hated about FF combat. Its not tedious at all. Other rpg games can learn a thing from XII actually...

The story is pretty good too! Its not really centered around one person, so its much more interesting. Because of this, it being linear is not too much of a problem, because I actually want to see what goes on.

The prerendered cutscenes are really sweet.

But what I think is most impressive, are the character animations for the ingame engine cutscenes. They really took the time to get the body language, and especially the facial expressions down. Because of this, I think these ingame cutscenes are the most enjoyable ones that I've ever watched.. I don't think any PC game cutscenes come close to the model animation...
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 03:48 AM   #2
Lfctony

Default Re: Final Fantasy XII

Unfortunately, it's different for me. This is the first FF I've played that I didn't like from the beginning. Eventhough at some point it started to pull me in, I eventually gave up on it. I don't enjoy the game anymore. I find the story uninteresting, and I liked the conventional battle system a lot more. Too bad because I was really looking forward to it, and right now I'm actually bored to finish it.

Tony.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 07:32 AM   #3
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony
Unfortunately, it's different for me. This is the first FF I've played that I didn't like from the beginning. Eventhough at some point it started to pull me in, I eventually gave up on it. I don't enjoy the game anymore. I find the story uninteresting, and I liked the conventional battle system a lot more. Too bad because I was really looking forward to it, and right now I'm actually bored to finish it.

Tony.
Same for me... I hated the characters, the story, the voice acting, the gameplay... I tried SO hard to like the game and finish it, but it just wasn't possible.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 10:17 AM   #4
|MaguS|

I loved the game, I think its possibily one of the best Final Fantasy since VI. The characters and story were very well done.
Old 02-10-07, 11:25 AM   #5
lognoronon

I'm with Magus on this one.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-07, 02:36 PM   #6
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I too think FFXII is one of best FF games but I don't have much time to actually finish it. School keeps me busy with a lot of homework so I only have a bit of time to play games...

Maybe during summer time.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 07:44 PM   #7
firehawk

i cant be arsed to finish a pg anymore. i always lose interest half way through

it the only reason i haven't played this one yet
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 08:27 AM   #8
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I loved the game, I think its possibily one of the best Final Fantasy since VI. The characters and story were very well done.
What he said.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-07, 03:18 AM   #9
ynnek

Ugh.. Now I remember why I don't like FF's.. The grinding!!! I'm up to fighting this firebomb. Can't quite kill him.. Checked an online guide.. and they suggest that I'd be 10 levels above where I am, with a bunch of other stuff to buy... Argh, that means more grinding.... I'm not sure if I'm going to continue playing.. cause I can't stand the grinding.

its a pity cause I like the game.. but I can't stand grinding!! I mean a little bit is okay, if it kinda makes sense, like walking through a forest, or cave to get to somewhere.... but having to back through areas over and over and grind and grind... blah forget this.

I sunk a little over 40 hours into this game.. That translates out to $1 a hour.. So I didn't think I wasted my money.. but kinda annoyed at the game that I don't think i can finish it.
Old 02-17-07, 03:42 AM   #10
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

FFXII gave me old memories of FFXI... the grinding. It's not a bad thing, I used to be hardcore player in FFXI but you're able to solo most of stuff. FFXI is probably worse when it comes to level because there's very little that you can solo and leveling is really slow and hard to find party members for exping.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 08:29 AM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
Ugh.. Now I remember why I don't like FF's.. The grinding!!! I'm up to fighting this firebomb. Can't quite kill him.. Checked an online guide.. and they suggest that I'd be 10 levels above where I am, with a bunch of other stuff to buy... Argh, that means more grinding.... I'm not sure if I'm going to continue playing.. cause I can't stand the grinding.

its a pity cause I like the game.. but I can't stand grinding!! I mean a little bit is okay, if it kinda makes sense, like walking through a forest, or cave to get to somewhere.... but having to back through areas over and over and grind and grind... blah forget this.

I sunk a little over 40 hours into this game.. That translates out to $1 a hour.. So I didn't think I wasted my money.. but kinda annoyed at the game that I don't think i can finish it.
It's not grinding its management, The game allows you to avoid combat easily so to make up for it you get screwed if you avoid too much combat. Sounds like you chose to go the hard way...
Old 02-17-07, 11:56 AM   #12
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
It's not grinding its management, The game allows you to avoid combat easily so to make up for it you get screwed if you avoid too much combat. Sounds like you chose to go the hard way...
Thats the odd thing, I never avoided combat. I killed everything in path everywhere I went, I even walked instead of taking the teleport crystals. I guess I could kill more of the hunts..

The hard thing about this boss is he has the ability of "renew" to reset his HP to full when he goes below 50% continuously (I think even when its silenced) Reading some faqs, it sounds like you need quickening chains that take over 50%.. I got the license board filled up pretty well so far, so maybe I should try again after getting level 2 quickenings for everyone. blah.

Right before 30 hours, I thought the game was too easy, i was just mopping the floor..