Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-07, 11:43 PM   #13
ynnek

Default Re: Final Fantasy XII

I almost have all the potion lores, attribute boosts, etc filled up on that top section.. Thats where all my LP's went to. I first started out using quickenings(beating all the boss's on the first round), but now I don't use them because of my play style and used all my lp's on the attributes.. instead of just jumping to the other quickenings.. Band mistake? I dunno.. But the golden armlets double the LP's, so it won't be hard to get them if I have to. They all arent' that far away eithe rnow, since my board is getting filled up.

But guess, what after sleeping on it, and sobering up , I beat that boss without using a single quickening or even a potion or item, and without anyone dying at all, only using Vann, Ashe, and Fran! Didn't have to grind any more, just needed to sell my loot and upgrade my equip.. Much different tune huh?

So I went back to the shops, and noticed I had a bit more items left to sell than I thought! Soo, I sold all of them, and picked up 3 fire shields, 3 gillia boots, and 3 icebrand swords.. Now I only take half damage for fire, immune to oil, and a good boost on attack. Equipped them. I thoguht of getting better armor, but was too impatient..

Vann, Ashe, and Frann on the magic side, also have at least the ability to cast most of the white magics, and also haste from the time magics. Also they all have at least the tech to charge.. and I believe they all have the attribute boosts to gain MP when damage, deal damage, kill an enemy, etc.. among other things.. For someone that hates grinding, I set up my characters to be self sufficient self healing self regenerating grinding machines.... go figure..

So I marched in, told everyone to cast haste on themselves simultaniously, told Frann to slow the main big bomb, and then systematically killed all its support, heal and charge, rinse and repeat.

Vann is my party leader.. I always make him attack most of the time, so he racks up the MP's because of it.. The other two simply have gambits to cast cure on somewhen when they are < 70% health, and to attack leader target.

So it was a battle of attrition. This bomb is a bit harder than the other boss's because even with silence, he's able to call up more buddies (like 8 of them?) and also cast renew, which resets its health back to 100% when it goes below 50%.. I think it did both of these things 3 or 4 times. Very annoying. If your quickenings aren't powerful enough, he'll renew himself after your first chain, and then he's back to 100% again, while you have no more LP for those characters.. So I decided not to use quickenings.

After about 4 of these cycles, it starts casting Fira over and ever again? (one of those mass fire's)which damages everyone about 300 hp in one round. Before, without the fire shield, thats what was killing me (cause it was like 600 hp).. So while he does this, Fran and Ashe and occasionally Vaan can counter with Cura and Curaga. And when haste wore off, immediately told everyone to cast haste again back on themselves. When their MP's went down, tech Charge. Vaan didn't have any problems keeping his MP up though since he did most of the attacking while everyone was healing. I think that bomb casted Fira continously like 30+ times.. Everyone's health was bouncing up and down for a while lol. So it was grueling, but I knew that my team could dish out damage with Vann, while Fran and Ashe could continuously heal up everyone, and still charge MP back up.. all without using a single potion. Thanks to everyone's ability to cast haste themselves.

So after like what, 20 mins? It basically ran out of MP or its equiv, and its physical attacks were weak.. By then the last 30% of its health went down pretty quick with everyone being able to attack again. (don't forget it cast renew like 4 times everytime it was down to about 50%)

Wooh. I'm back in the game.

Oh btw, I just found out the bomb guy was an OPTIONAL boss battle.. so it was suppose to be a bit harder than the usual boss's.. lol!
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 07:09 PM   #14
Spartan 117
Halo PWNz0r

I love this game, im still playing it, and I plan getting FFXIII for the PS3 when it comes out
2 PNY XLR8 GTX 670 in SLI
1 PNY XLR8 GTX 560 Ti for PhysX
Crucial M4 256GB SSD - OS/games
WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD - Storage
Team Executor XBOX 360 HDD Adapter for JTAG 360 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
LG Blu-Ray burner
Samsung DVD-RW burner
Cougar GX V.2 1050W PSU
Cougar Evolution case
40" Sony Bravia KDL40V5100 @ 1080P
Spartan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 08:42 PM   #15
ynnek

Alright, I'm a little over 50 hours into this game now.. and I think I need to take a break form it. Its just not holding my attention.. Maybe its cause I just spent like 3 hours walking in the wrong direction... Hey, at least I won't have to worry about doing any extra grinding right? I might not bother finishing this game honestly..
Old 02-26-07, 04:40 AM   #16
ralinn
Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
Alright, I'm a little over 50 hours into this game now.. and I think I need to take a break form it. Its just not holding my attention..
What the beef?

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 12:40 PM   #17
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Wow, over 30 hours and you haven't got level 3 quickenings? I actually got the quickenings as quickly as I could when levelling, my characters are all around level 32 and my 3 main party members all have their level 3 quickenings. They really come in handy for finishing off some of the harder boss battles.
Why only the main characters? It's much easier to kill off difficult beasts with everyone having 3 quickenings. That way you can do more than one series of damage to the beast. I'm already at level 20(haven't even gotten Ashe yet ), and killing the special beasts is almost too easy with 18hits series of Quickenings.

Lovin' the game btw...
Old 12-29-07, 03:51 PM   #18
ynnek

Digging this thread up from the past..

After reading up on FF XIII, I decided to pick up FF XII.. I had to refresh myself where I left(back in Feb!) off by reading the story scripts off gamefaqs, up to the point I stopped.. I realized, by the position of the file, I was actually close to finishing, since I started rushing through after the first 30 hours of the game. So I decided I had some time and rushed through the rest of the story.

There were some monotonous parts, and a boss? that was impossible to beat until I picked up the "bubble" spell (which was impossible to find, I had to go search in a gamefaq to find out where to get it).. Part for the extra hp, and part for the disease resist. To make things more aggrivating, all this was in this section where it takes a lonng time to walk back up from the last teleport crystal. I probably spent 20 mins it self walking back to a teleport stone, findng the shop, then teleporting back and walking back to the boss area.

However, in the end, I beat the game.. my characters, Vaan, Ashe, and Fran, where about, level 58ish? The rest of them were at level 28ish?(I never used them after a certain point) lol Didn't have any fancy armor, accessories, or anything either. "Only" spent about 65 hours in the game.. probably could have been done in less, like 50 if I didn't take so long in the start, trying to do everything.

I ended up not using any actual quickenings or summons, jsut melee attacks wth swords, shields, and heavy armor on the 3 of them (never switched to the others again), and they all had the ability cast more or less the same support spells. I didn't even bother with gambits(except target leader's target, and sometimes curaga when < 50%) just manually ordered the refreshing of healing and buffing spells. For me it at least, it felt like the characters' developments seemed to all converge into the one same "type". Or maybe its because thats the way I did it..

I was going to go back and get some items to make life easier, but then I realized I would have to "grind" some more.. Or worse, some stuff like ribbons, were just about toally random luck.. So I said, forget that.

Anyways.... Now I remember why I like the FF's and keep coming back to them. The little details in the cutscene and stuff are awesome.. Characters don't look and move too much like talking robo-mannequins like other games.. and the music and art are just great. Yea some dungeons/areas seemed to repeat on forever, and you get a feeling of repeated monster models with different skins... and some sections it seemed like forver till you got to the next cutscene. But the boss fights are always cool, and the cut scenes are always nice, even the PS2 rendered ones(relative to being rendered on a PS2). I personally liked the story and ending overall, although I found it a bit confusing sometimes? Well I guess it didn't help that I stopped in the middle for almost 10 months. Even with its faults, overall, I say I still liked the game very much.
Can't wait till FF XIII!
Old 12-29-07, 06:26 PM   #19
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
It's not grinding its management, The game allows you to avoid combat easily so to make up for it you get screwed if you avoid too much combat. Sounds like you chose to go the hard way...
This just isn't true. The game definitely forces you to grind at times. I never ever skipped past enemies but still found myself needing to grind up to 4-5 levels to get to a point where you could do the next boss. Money never seemed to be much of a problem though.

Its been ages since I finished it now (like 9 months or something) but I remember thinking at the end how unstaisfying the whole thing was. Something that had never happened to me before in a FF game (I've played all after and inc. VI). I think VI, VII, IX and X were all better games.

Having said that I still quite enjoyed it and polsihed it off in less than a couple of weeks, and I'm still desperately looking forward to the next one.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realise this was dug up from the graveyard.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-07, 08:14 PM   #20
ralinn
Masters

I agree. FFXII was just too different from the other FF's for me

I really hated the story, normally an FF would focus on the characters and you'd find out so much about them, sometimes even get quite close to them. But FFXII was the opposite... it was more about war and politics. I just felt that the characters were just along for the ride. I didn't really care about them at all.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-07, 11:21 PM   #21
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

I used a game shark code that gives the entire party experience, so I dont need to re-grind dormant characters.

Game has great story, graphics, and amazing voice acting, but I found the fighting engine to be the pits. Upgrading weapons is still a pain, and the amount of magic in the game is pitiful. Anyone you keep as a mage will be casting sub par spells compared to past games. Lets hope all the bad goes away in ff13.
Old 01-17-08, 11:40 PM   #22
emacs

this iteration of the Final Fantasy franchise was pretty good; played it on my PS3 (60GB version). i never did finish VII, however.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 01:14 AM   #23
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

agreed, while everything about ffxii is great but battle is kinda weak. doesn't feel like epic like in other ff games. i was kinda disappointed they didn't follow ffxi's example when it comes to battle (where mage would caste big spells and shows big fancy effects on screen which is pretty to watch everytime).

hopefully ffxiii will change that.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 10:38 AM   #24
Epyx

I have a bit of a different take on FFXII. I am a lifelong PC Gamer and my favourite games have always been CRPGs. I was weened on Wizardry/Phantasie/Bards Tale/Ultima/Might and Magic etc. I also enjoyed recent titles like Baldur's Gate/NWN/Morrowind/Oblivion (with OOO mod)

I have always loved the CRPG way of me being in charge of the story and being able to go where I wanted when I wanted. What I never liked about console rpgs was being led by the nose through a storyline with little freedom.

Until now...

To me FFXII is the perfect blend of console/computer rpg...I love it. Storyline that I actually enjoy the cutscenes for and just enough freedom to do what i want when I want to!
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote