Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-07, 03:15 PM   #1
croziermd

Question Nvidia Install problems on Fedora Core 6

I've been running Linux for about 4 days now, so I appoligize for not knowing much. Despite reading as much as I can find, I still am unable to load the Nvidia drivers. I have download the Nvidia install package (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run), and logged out of the X-server (init 3) and ran the command "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run"...This resulted in an error message in finding the Kernel source.

So, I downloaded my current Kernel version source file (kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6.src.rpm) and extracted that to: "/usr/src/kernels/Linux-2.6.19" and then exited back out of the X-server and ran "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path= /usr/src/kernels/Linux-2.6.19" The Nvidia installer was then unable to find the file 'version.h', which indeed was not at the location it was looking (nor was it anywhere else).

I also tried running "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run -k $(uname -r)" I have no idea what this does, however it did force the installer to proceed, but upon loading back into the X-server it died and resulted back to the old config (and manually attemping to change the xorg.conf file to use the driver 'nvidia' instead of 'nv' would result in it crashing on restart as well, leading me to believe the driver was not correctly installed (it seems to be somewhat installed since i can change to it in the display settings, and when i try to reinstall the driver I am asked if I want to install over the old one.

So...Any advice on how to successfully install the Nvidia driver (from start to finish, i really am not even sure if i have all the necessary packages - I installed the version of gcc that the kernel was compiled with 4.1.1, but that is about all i installed) would be greatly appreciated, and I will uploaded any log files along the way as necessary.

Thanks,
croziermd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:24 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Nvidia Install problems on Fedora Core 6

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:46 PM   #3
croziermd

Default Re: Nvidia Install problems on Fedora Core 6

Thanks for your reply...I ran the three yum installs, and two worked, but the kernel-devel install gave the following error:

Transaction Check Error: package kernel-devel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 (which is newer than kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6) is already installed

I ignored, and attempted to reinstall the drivers via the method in my first post with the same results...
croziermd is offline   Reply With Quote