Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-07, 02:39 PM   #1
psyddicus

Exclamation nvidia drivers make my laptop screen look like someone's thrown paint at it

I have installed the nvidia drivers for linux on a desktop computer countless times. This is my first experience with a mobile card and laptop, a GeForce Go5600. I have installed numerous driver versions in a number of ways, but no matter how I do it the result is the same: this. It doesn't show up very well in the picture, there's a bunch of red generally, but you get the idea.

It happens with different distributions/kernels and never gives any error message. If I start a display manager from the command line, the screen turns into that but the rest of the system (including X) is apparently still working; I can hear it beep when it's ready to log me in, I can type in my user name and password and hear the sound associated with my gnome splash, and I can get back to the first tty by hitting ctrl+alt+f1. I never get any error messages or anything else that might help me.

I've gone looking for help with this in several places now, please tell me someone out there has had a similar experience to mine!
psyddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 02:44 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia drivers make my laptop screen look like someone's thrown paint at it

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 04:08 PM   #3
psyddicus

Default Re: nvidia drivers make my laptop screen look like someone's thrown paint at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Here's the log in a zip file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (29.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 02-12-07, 04:46 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does this problem persist if you add the following option to the Device section of xorg.conf (and restart X)?
Option "ModeValidation" "NoVertRefreshCheck"
Old 02-12-07, 04:52 PM   #5
psyddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Does this problem persist if you add the following option to the Device section of xorg.conf (and restart X)?
Option "ModeValidation" "NoVertRefreshCheck"
This fixed it. I actually found this a bit ago by doing a search here for Alienware, which I hadn't thought of before. I guess this problem is common with Alienware mobile setups? Thank you for replying with this answer though.
Old 02-12-07, 04:55 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The EDID for your panel in the bug report has an error which caps the VertRefresh at 60Hz, yet specifies a native mode which requires a 61Hz refresh rate. I've not seen many Alienware notebooks to know whether this is a common problem, but its definitely the problem on yours.
Old 02-16-07, 06:06 AM   #7
supertoilet

I had the same problem until I applied the fix mentioned at the bottom of this page: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:HOWTO_nV...esktop_Effects

Best regards,

Tobias
supertoilet is offline   Reply With Quote