Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-07, 03:09 PM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: Too late to jump into WoW?

Vanguard is awesome. I've had an issue w/ it crashing due to an unstable overclock I've had, but I'll be back on it again soon. Over 10 hours in now.

I actually got it running really good w/ SLI the other night, magus. I forced SFR and it seemed to get a large performance boost, but I also had OC'd my Conroe from 2.4-->3.6 so I'm not sure which to attribute it to.

But you may want to give it a shot, if you haven't already. It was sticking at my refresh rate since I run vsync in every part except where there were lots of characters on-screen at once, then it would slow down to around 25. But everywhere else on the outside places would stay pinned at 60fps and played very smooth.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 06:10 PM   #26
nrdstrm

Been having a blast with Vanguard. I like it for many of the same reasons as Magus. I also enjoy the graphics (incredible if you can crank it up to high/ultra high)...

As to WoW, it's really never too late to get into wow...I mean you can max a character really fast wich some people like...I prefer a bit more of a challenge to my games, rather than play an MMO on "easy" mode . That said, all those millions of people playing it at the moment must like something about it...I guess there is something to what Brad has been saying (Owner, Sigil Games) about how there are casual players (WoW) and core gamers (EQ/Vanguard/etc). I guess core gamers just prefer more of a challenge...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 03:06 AM   #27
Xion X2

Quote:
I also enjoy the graphics (incredible if you can crank it up to high/ultra high)...
I completely agree w/ you there. The game looks great, IMO. Volumetric clouds are awesome, rock textures are the best I've seen next to Kameo on the 360. Ground textures are good.. and I love the thickness of the grass that waves in the wind.

Specular effects are also great.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-07, 04:28 PM   #28
ThornRage

Started playing WoW in Apr of 06. Once I reached 60 I suddenly got bored and left the game for a month. That was my fault ... I didnt seek out a guild. Then a friend of mine told me about a guild and I came back and was accepted. It was a new guild that was farming ZG and working it's way to MC and Ony. So I was able to get in before they got too heavily geared. It was then that I discovered that the lvl'ng to 60 was not the game, that was just the preparation ... once you hit 60 you were suddenly in the real game.

Now with Outland, most of my guildies are still lvl'ng. I am at 70 working on my keys. Going from 60-70 was fun but now that I am at 70, I know the real fun begins once more guildies catch up. We have over a dozen there now and we are using GEM to plan instances and events.

I have played several MMOs such as Star Wars Galaxies, Guild Wars, City of Heroes, Auto Assault, etc ... WoW is the game that has been the most fun.

As for Vanguard, I got into the beta several months back ... I left after 3 weeks of constant playing ... I was not impressed.
OCZ Platinum 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200)
BFG GeForce 8800 GTX 768mb
LG 18x8x8 DVD burner
Sony 16x8x8 DVD burner
2x Western Digital 250GB / SAMSUNG T Series 500GB
OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
20" Dell UltraSharp 2007FP,Wide Flat Panel
Windows Vista Ultimate
ThornRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 11:21 AM   #29
Son Goku

Only bad side, when you get a number of new players in an area are:

- When I went to lvl my first Draenie, it took litterally an hour to complete a quest as we all had to compete over respawns. Someone came up with 1,500 people all on Azuremyst isle. On another server which holds my horde chars, the Blood Elf starting zone was just as bad. Nothing could spawn fast enough to let anyone, do anything...

- My Draenie warrior is a miner, and now with everyone hitting the mithril deposits, ugh. Up to 257 mining now, but with 236 BS, I still need the stuff. And some cut throat price sharks are trying to charge > fel iron prices for the stuff now.

Way outa whack for anything that was ever charged in the past, and up to 5x (or worse) the money that could be recovered in selling the items made from it. No one providing trade items, would bother, when the cost of materials out-strips the money that can be made by 500% or worse I'll just get to fel iron and say good ridance to anything low lvl until the market rebalances. Someone wants? Get your own mats, or tough... Just like the enchanters started doing ages ago.

- Ninjas, ninjas, and more ninjas

All said however, there are people beginning/leveling alts. There are people in the factions trying other classes (alliance shamys and horde palys), and quite a bit goign on. Oh, and when leveling the mains, hmm....

This friend and I 2 manned all the silithid hive quests in Silithus (only getting owned on Natalia) the Monday before Burning Crusade came out, with our 2 hunters. Should he get back (was on a couple days ago, don't know now); would be interesting should we both hit lvl 70 and get equiped. I wouldn't mind trying to 2-man BRD (which many say is quite doable now); but even head into ZG.

Perhaps not Hakar, but might be interesting to what a couple lvl 70s in all new gear could do there. Hell, some people didn't think 2 hunters could do the silithid hive quests by themselves; and were a lil surprised we pulled it off, and without dieing a lot, in old Azeroth gear (of course) at lvl 60...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 12:44 PM   #30
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornRage
Started playing WoW in Apr of 06. Once I reached 60 I suddenly got bored and left the game for a month. That was my fault ... I didnt seek out a guild. Then a friend of mine told me about a guild and I came back and was accepted. It was a new guild that was farming ZG and working it's way to MC and Ony. So I was able to get in before they got too heavily geared. It was then that I discovered that the lvl'ng to 60 was not the game, that was just the preparation ... once you hit 60 you were suddenly in the real game.

Now with Outland, most of my guildies are still lvl'ng. I am at 70 working on my keys. Going from 60-70 was fun but now that I am at 70, I know the real fun begins once more guildies catch up. We have over a dozen there now and we are using GEM to plan instances and events.

I have played several MMOs such as Star Wars Galaxies, Guild Wars, City of Heroes, Auto Assault, etc ... WoW is the game that has been the most fun.

As for Vanguard, I got into the beta several months back ... I left after 3 weeks of constant playing ... I was not impressed.
Take a break from WoW until your buddies get up to 70. That is what I am doing. Then the game will be fun again. Taking those breaks is such a good thing.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:03 PM   #31
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDawg
Take a break from WoW until your buddies get up to 70. That is what I am doing. Then the game will be fun again. Taking those breaks is such a good thing.
Udawgs "taking a break" = "Playing Vanguard instead"

Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 01:21 PM   #32
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Well about 2 weeks after BC came out, my buddies were all "C'mon man, come play again." (I had been on break from WoW for a few months and was unsure if I would want to play BC). Well I bought it and in 10 days I had my 60 Orc rogue up to level 70. But for the first 2 weeks after that point...nothing. Couldn't do many instances, etc. My guild had not gotten enough people to 70 to start running instances nonstop, didn't have keys for Karazhan yet etc.

So those 2 weeks I farmed gold for my epic flying mount. So now I'm instancing pretty much nonstop (we ran Shattered Halls 4 times in one day, w00t for Thrallmar rep). And just last night we burned our first boss in Karazhan and are set up and ready to rock n roll on our next scheduled run.

Things are really going to start clicking too once we have the 10-15 stragglers get to 70 (we now have about 20-25 members keyed for Karazhan).

And on the note of old instances, we went back and did a Scholo run to help some guys out...yeah...I tanked everything in there on my rogue, rarely required any heals, and rarely used any of my heavy specials (evasion, adren rush, etc.) So BRD would be super easy (why you would run it...eh, I mean I guess if it's fun, all the power to you).

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-07, 01:44 PM   #33
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Udawgs "taking a break" = "Playing Vanguard instead"

Damn straight. I am having fun with it. Vanguard is no where near as good a game as WoW but it is fun. This evening I will be leveling up my black smithing.

I don't care if I go back to WoW. I'm just chilling until Warhammer and Age of Conan come out.
Old 03-06-07, 03:46 PM   #34
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Damn straight. I am having fun with it. Vanguard is no where near as good a game as WoW but it is fun. This evening I will be leveling up my black smithing.

I don't care if I go back to WoW. I'm just chilling until Warhammer and Age of Conan come out.
I knew you would come to the dark side

Yea, last night I was having one of those Udawg moments "I hate these death penalties!!!!". I died a good 20 times just last night . I got over it though. I think I'm going to buy a camel tonight
Old 03-06-07, 04:44 PM   #35
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
I knew you would come to the dark side

Yea, last night I was having one of those Udawg moments "I hate these death penalties!!!!". I died a good 20 times just last night . I got over it though. I think I'm going to buy a camel tonight
Seriously, the death penalties are stupid. Sure, break your equipment but why take a xp hit? that is friking insane. Oh another thing that bothers me is PUBLIC DUNGEONS! The argument here is that it is more "real". MORE REAL!? WTF!? How real is it to stand in a cave with magical halflings waiting for a boss to respawn. REfrikingSPAWN! How many things in life do you know that "respawn"? I know of NONE and I certainly have NEVER ran through a field chasing goblins for reputation or a broken tooth. More real my ass. Just admit it. They don't want istances becaus they don't want to pay or more servers and a more robust network. It's a game, just have fun with it.

LOL! Ok I feel better. I do really like the game. I just love to complain about the stupid stuff in it....like jumping. BAHAHAH come on, you know that is bad. Every time I jump I am waiting for my Pally to cry out "ZOMG I SLIPPED A DISK!" LOL It looks so painfull.

You are going to buy a camel? So if horse shoes make the horses run faster then do camel toes make the camel run faster or do they just invite 14 year old perverts to stare?
Old 03-06-07, 08:43 PM   #36
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
They don't want istances becaus they don't want to pay or more servers and a more robust network. It's a game, just have fun with it.
No, they don't want instances because the majority of their players HATE instances. I can't stand instances and will never play an instanced mmo ever again.