Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-07, 11:52 PM   #37
UDawg
Retired spammer

Default Re: Too late to jump into WoW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
No, they don't want instances because the majority of their players HATE instances. I can't stand instances and will never play an instanced mmo ever again.
Yeah cuz boss camping for days on end is sooooo much better

LOL
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 02:02 AM   #38
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
No, they don't want instances because the majority of their players HATE instances. I can't stand instances and will never play an instanced mmo ever again.
QFT...Camping is fine as long as it's not out of control...VG seems to either A) spawn a final boss mob due to a quest or B) Respawn the mob fairly fast. So I don't really think that's an issue Udawg...Personally, I won't play a game with too much instancing....

Take all that with a grain of salt, since I hanv't experienced "RAID" mobs yet (5 dots yeah, but never 6)...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 06:16 PM   #39
Epyx

Man after having played on a high level guild in EQ from launch to about 2003 I would ask why would you never play an instance MMO? EQ was absolutely brutal for non-instanced grinding and camping..Sky for necro epic etc.

I hated camping mobs, doing rotations, server schedule politics etc etc

WoW at launch was a refreshing change as you could pretty much always find something with rewards to do.
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 08:08 PM   #40
nrdstrm

Because with no instancing, things seem more special. For instance if it's going to take you days to get a high level item in a game, it's going to mean more...If I can run the same dungeon 3 or 4 times in a night to try and get it...I dunno...It just takes away from the feeling that I've accomplished something. KNOWING that I'm in the ONLY group on the server about to kill a high level raid mob gives me a sense of accomplishment...It's alot different if I know there are 20 other guilds killing the same raid mob at the same time I am...Perhaps someone else can explain it better...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:26 AM   #41
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Because with no instancing, things seem more special.
That basically sums it up. Instances take away the "alive" aspect of the game.

When you go to an amusement park and you see a roller coaster ride you REALLY want to get on. The wait in line is an entire HOUR. You want to ride it really bad, so you wait in line anyway. By the time it gets to be your turn you are SOOOO excited. So excited that while you are waiting, you start up a conversation with the people around you, making new friends. You get on the ride and soak in EVERY BIT of it. You know your time for riding that ride again may NEVER come any other time in your life so you enjoy it while it lasts. While you are on the roller coaster you know that only you and the ones with you are the ONLY people in the world enjoying the ride. A group of people to share the experience with. You had a great experience you will remember for a long time and met some cool people.

Now imagine you hear about this awesome roller coaster at another side of the park. You walk there are see 20 roller coasters side by side, all identical. You look and there is no line, noone really to talk to. You simply hop on board whichever one is closest to you. While you are on your roller coaster with a handful of people that you don't talk to, you look into the distance at the 20 other roller coasters, all which are about as vacant as yours. You don't really feel special. There are 20 roller coasters with people doing the exact same thing. Your entire experience lasts a minute. You had fun while it lasted obviously, but after you are done your excitement level is about the same as if you were to have just gone into a drive through car wash.

Does that make sense? I know it might sound crazy, but the fact EQ was not instanced is what made the game so great. You had to work for what you got. Some nights you would spend 5 hours just fighting through a zone only to get to the end and finding out the main God boss was killed just yesterday(which alot of times God respawns were a week plus). Its a "bad" experience, but once you DO get to fight that God boss it makes it all worth it. On EQ there were mobs that only SPAWNED once a MONTH. Once a month. Thats it. The person who got the item from that mob was ONE COOL DUDE for the entire rest of the game(feathered pegasus cloak anyone?). Anyone who see's that guy KNOWS the mob spawns once a month and feel priviledge to talk to someone who was lucky enough to get the cloak drop.

Wow being instanced fits some people's personalities, just not mine. I like to feel like I accomplished something. I like to be in a world that feels "alive". Instances make it impossible to feel that. Also the lack of players(ala Vanguard) makes it impossible to feel alive as well, but thats another story entirely.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:43 AM   #42
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Semi back on topic. The failure of EQ2 was due to the graphic requirements set too high and the fact the game felt so bland/unalive which was mainly due to INSTANCES. If you enjoyed the instance aspect of EQ2, give WoW a try. If not, try out Vanguard. Despite its share of problems, Vanguard is a GREAT game. Its biggest problem with Vanguard right now in my opinion is simply the fact that the world is TOO BIG.
Old 04-05-07, 10:52 AM   #43
arioch21
Vengeful Blades

having no instance wouldnt work in WoW, there is just too many players in each server, I remember camping all day just for 1 item in EQ, and clerics having to go 5+ days without logging off their characters just to get their epic items, there's just no way I could go back to that, give me an instance and give me my item ;p

Dont get me wrong, I met alot of friends because of no instance in EQ, you cant build the same community in wow because you only hang around people for a very short time, not long enough to get to know them. But with the amount of people within wow servers, it just wouldnt work having no instances for dungeons, you wouldnt be able to get quests or items in good time, and I just dont have the time to sit at my comp for hours on end to get something done, I have a life.
arioch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:13 AM   #44
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

There were a lot of acomplishments back in the early days of WOW back when you had only about one guild per server capable of pulling off 40 man raids, which I was lucky enough to be part of. Taking part in Molten Core and Onyxia raids even when you get wipe after wipe learning the bosses is part of a great acomplishment for early instances. Back when I was playing wow I was the first on the server to get the Arcanite reaper, to start collecting the might set from MC and to obtain Quel'Serrar from Onyxia. However since the game is getting on now everybody is getting hold of these once extremely hard to get items.

Old 04-05-07, 01:16 PM   #45
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch21
having no instance wouldnt work in WoW, there is just too many players in each server, I remember camping all day just for 1 item in EQ, and clerics having to go 5+ days without logging off their characters just to get their epic items, there's just no way I could go back to that, give me an instance and give me my item ;p

Dont get me wrong, I met alot of friends because of no instance in EQ, you cant build the same community in wow because you only hang around people for a very short time, not long enough to get to know them. But with the amount of people within wow servers, it just wouldnt work having no instances for dungeons, you wouldnt be able to get quests or items in good time, and I just dont have the time to sit at my comp for hours on end to get something done, I have a life.
Not necessarily. Just lower the amount of people on each server and instances are no longer needed. Still be that as it may, WoW players probably wouldn't like this. For the players WoW targets, instancing is perfect.
Old 04-06-07, 10:11 PM   #46
Epyx

Hmmm I kind of understand where you guys are coming from but then again...isn't it just a longer dangle of the carrot? I mean on one hand sure the game might feel more alive non-instanced in that you are competing with other players but we are still dealing with NPCs and Mobs that respawn on set timers...

A real non-instance dungeon might drop an item for a week and then never again period...but how much work would that be?

I dunno...time is a lot more limited for me nowadays then it was when I played EQ...never again do I want to camp a mob for 96 hours straight...to me that just wasn't fun...it was torture lol
8800GTX
Enermax 565P
20" 1680x1050 LG
42" 1920x1080 Westy
50" 1280x768 Sony
Epyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 12:46 PM   #47
Tho Jo Smale
Maximum Speed

I think that FFXI is the best eva.

Easy to get killed, hard to level.

Not dumbed down for kids like WoW.

FFXI FTW!!!!!

JC
Thermaltake 750w PSU
HIS Radeon 4870 1024MB 800/960 Cat 9.4 Beta
Creative X-FI APU
Western Digital 640gb Sata II Harddisk
Logitech Z-640 5.1 surround speakers
Lg 52X cd r/w and Lg 16x DVD R/W Lightscribe
3dmark06 14410 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=8600451
Newbs Helping Newbs brings a tear to my eye
Tho Jo Smale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 01:01 PM   #48
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

a mob that was "easy challenge" for me kicked my ass. I stopped playing FF XI after leveling to 25 a good 6 times because I lost levels getting my butt kicked by mobs that were supposedly easy to kill.
winton is offline   Reply With Quote