Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-07, 02:24 PM   #13
jadacyrus

Default Re: NVRM Xid: WHY ISNT THIS FIXED?!?!?!

I tried acpi=off
then I tried noapic
then I tried all your Xorg modification suggestions..

Still getting the crash just as frequently. I have some theories that i don't know make sense. But ever since I upgraded to edgy this was happening, and thats when they started using the generic smp kernels I think. Is there a way to remove all SMP from my kernel...could that be cuasing the problem?

If possible, can I get a somewhat more specific explanation as to what exactly an NVRM Xid is coming from and what it denotes? I searched for disable SMP, and i get this command: "nvram boot-args="cpus=1"
..nvram looks alot like NVRM.. Am I getting hot or cold here?
Old 02-14-07, 02:26 PM   #14
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Sure, you could build a kernel without SMP support. In fact, a very useful test would be to build a kernel.org 2.6.20 kernel without SMP support.

You could also try booting the Ubuntu kernel with the nosmp parameter, but that may or may not work.
Old 02-14-07, 02:29 PM   #15
jadacyrus

Rolling my own kernel is slightly above my skill level at this point..I think so at least.. But i'm willing to try anything if someone points me in the right direction.

EDIT: Okay booting with nosmp didnt work either..

Guess at this point ill try rolling my own kernel, anything if it will fix this annoying damn crash.!!! If this doesnt work then im buying a new video card I cant deal with this!!
Old 02-14-07, 04:36 PM   #16
Descore
MythTV user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadacyrus
Rolling my own kernel is slightly above my skill level at this point..I think so at least.. But i'm willing to try anything if someone points me in the right direction.

EDIT: Okay booting with nosmp didnt work either..

Guess at this point ill try rolling my own kernel, anything if it will fix this annoying damn crash.!!! If this doesnt work then im buying a new video card I cant deal with this!!
It is really a crying shame you are not trying the one thing that is most likely to help with your problem.

Rolling your own kernel is very easy. Let me give you step by step instructions:

$ mkdir kernel-src
$ cd kernel-src
$ wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2
$ tar xjf linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-2.6.20
$ sudo apt-get install libgtk-dev
$ make xconfig

• Find and load your old kernel's configuration. Most likely it is in /boot and called something like config-2.6.17-11-generic
  • At this point make adjustments to the configuration if you want, like remove SMP support, but it is not necessary..
  • Quit and save

$ make bzImage modules
(or if you have dual CPU then):
$ make -j3 bzImage modules
(get a cup of coffee)
$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20
$ sudo cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.20
$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.20

Next step depends on your bootloader. If you are using GRUB:

$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
  • Find the section for your old kernel. Copy this, to create a new section for the new kernel. Then you can boot from either one from the boot menu.]

$ sudo reboot

Or if you are using Lilo:

$ sudo gedit /etc/lilo.conf
  • Edit this file the same way as you would for GRUB above

$ sudo lilo
$ sudo reboot

I hope you try this, and that it helps with your problem If not, at least you have now learned how to build your own kernel.

/Descore

Last edited by Descore; 02-14-07 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-14-07, 05:06 PM   #17
rotarychainsaw

Post Re: NVRM Xid: WHY ISNT THIS FIXED?!?!?!

Hey, I have this problem but have a config right now that hasn't crashed yet (knock on wood)

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...86#post2156286
is the link that helped me figure out what I'm doing.

I basically blacklisted the driver that agpgart was using which seems to force the nvidia apg driver to take over:

lsmod | grep agp
to see which modules agpgart has access to

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
added 'blacklist intel_agp' to the bottom (which is what that grep up there said next to agpgart), also added 'blacklist agpgart' but I dont think that is actually a module. whatever.

Then I added in xorg.conf
Option "RenderAccel" "False"

then booted the kernel with the acpi=off parameter.

I suck at writing this stuff, but hopefully you figure it out and it works.
Old 02-14-07, 05:43 PM   #18
jadacyrus

Wow, thanks guys for all these awesome posts for helping me figure this out. I am truly appreciative of all of this. I already ordered a new card, before it gets here I will try the AGP trick that was mentioned, if that doesnt work, i will try rolling my own kernel using descores info. Still, if this doesnt work, I will put in the new card and determine if it was faulty hardware or not.
Thanks for all your help. =)
Old 02-15-07, 05:49 PM   #19
rotarychainsaw

Update: All that did make it crash less, but it still locks up once in a while

I don't really know where to go after that. Hopefully that kernel rebuild will help you, then I'll try it
Old 02-15-07, 06:21 PM   #20
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descore
It is really a crying shame you are not trying the one thing that is most likely to help with your problem.

Rolling your own kernel is very easy. Let me give you step by step instructions:

$ mkdir kernel-src
$ cd kernel-src
$ wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...2.6.20.tar.bz2
$ tar xjf linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2
$ cd linux-2.6.20
$ sudo apt-get install libgtk-dev
$ make xconfig

• Find and load your old kernel's configuration. Most likely it is in /boot and called something like config-2.6.17-11-generic
  • At this point make adjustments to the configuration if you want, like remove SMP support, but it is not necessary..
  • Quit and save

$ make bzImage modules
(or if you have dual CPU then):
$ make -j3 bzImage modules
(get a cup of coffee)
$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20
$ sudo cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.20
$ sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.20

Next step depends on your bootloader. If you are using GRUB:

$ sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
  • Find the section for your old kernel. Copy this, to create a new section for the new kernel. Then you can boot from either one from the boot menu.]

$ sudo reboot

Or if you are using Lilo:

$ sudo gedit /etc/lilo.conf
  • Edit this file the same way as you would for GRUB above

$ sudo lilo
$ sudo reboot

I hope you try this, and that it helps with your problem If not, at least you have now learned how to build your own kernel.

/Descore

blabla

make all modules_install install

is all that is needed.

Since ubuntu is a debian clone, the kernel-install script should be identical to the one in gentoo.. and make install copies around everything to /boot and creates symlinks. So no need to do anything.

Btw, which f*ing distro is using lilo? That is just sick.

Old 02-15-07, 09:04 PM   #21
jadacyrus

I'm actually using ArchLinux now..

My new video card should be getting here on monday, I'm goign to try that before I decide to roll my own kernel just to be on the safe side. I figure it might be a HW problem after all, and if not, well I have a new video card.

And if it fails again on the new card, then it new kernel time. If that fails, then its back to here for more suggestions heh. Hopefully, it wont go that way.
Old 02-15-07, 11:11 PM   #22
rotarychainsaw

I gave up haha. Maybe I'll get the urge to mess with this again later, but I have a feeling a new bios introduced all my problems.

I'm just gonna run the nv driver because at least suspend works on that, and I guess save up for a laptop with an intel graphics chip. Wobbly windows and suspend. Sounds nice.
Old 02-18-07, 03:14 PM   #23
jadacyrus

three days of gaming with the new card and not one crash or lock up.. So i guess it was a hardware related problem.. I gave the old card away to some friend because it worked fine when i wasnt gaming. Im a charitable person what can I say.
Old 02-22-07, 04:43 PM   #24
colchaodemola

Well , my machine keep crashing and i can not change video card `cause i am in a laptop. Geforce 7400GO latest Bios running beryl. Please someone fix this problem ...
Closed Thread