Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-07, 01:36 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Official - Post Your AMD Opteron Overclocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor976
I suggest that you run your fsb closer to your memory spec and just lower your multi if you don't want to overclock.

237x11=2607 or even 246x11=2706 "for a slight overclock with memory running almost at spec."

I still haven't gotten around to getting some more as5 yet. Maybe today. What heatsink do you use? I'm using the xp-90 with generic heatsink grease for now and I'm idling at 35-36. cpu at 2706.
I know my temps are way above what they should be.

Anyhow, this is the HSF I'm using:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...4/cl-p0114.asp

I'm gonna' try re-seating the HSF and see if that might help. I know this cooler is beefy enough to keep this CPU cool. I just figure it could be the crap thermal grease I'm using- or the HSF just isn't making proper contact.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 02:20 AM   #26
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I know my temps are way above what they should be.

Anyhow, this is the HSF I'm using:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/produc...4/cl-p0114.asp

I'm gonna' try re-seating the HSF and see if that might help. I know this cooler is beefy enough to keep this CPU cool. I just figure it could be the crap thermal grease I'm using- or the HSF just isn't making proper contact.
Yeah, I would think that HSF would suffice. Hell, I'm using the TT Pipe101 with a 92mm fan.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 04:03 AM   #27
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe
Yeah, I would think that HSF would suffice. Hell, I'm using the TT Pipe101 with a 92mm fan.
Later today (it's almost 2AM Monday) I'm gonna' order some AS5. I'm also thinking that it'd be a good idea to lap the surface of the heatsink. As I've never done it before- anything I should be aware of? What grit sandpaper do I need?
Old 02-26-07, 05:26 AM   #28
Redeemed

Alright, I'm playing FEAR right now (it is loading the next level as I type this) and my CPU temp is pegged at 60*C. Screw running it like this. I'm taking this HSF and this crappy Thermaltake thermal grease off today. I'm putting the stock cooler on and I'm leaving it on till I get the AS5 and this heat sink lapped. I'm not gonna' risk frying this CPU. I can't afford to replace it.

Hope that stock cooler is a good one. Actually looked like it'd do a decent job.

As to lapping this HS I'm currently using- any suggestions such as grit of sand paper that I should use or what not? This will be my first time lapping a heatsink and I want to do it right. Any input will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Old 02-26-07, 06:39 AM   #29
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

I've never lapped a heatsink, sorry. Weird, I would think that HSF you were using would be better than the stock HSF. Looks like the fan is too small for the heatsink to me. LOL Let me know how big a difference the AS5 made.
Old 02-26-07, 05:04 PM   #30
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe
I've never lapped a heatsink, sorry. Weird, I would think that HSF you were using would be better than the stock HSF. Looks like the fan is too small for the heatsink to me. LOL Let me know how big a difference the AS5 made.
It could be a number of things- I doubt this HSF is really to blame. It is pure copper with 6 heatpipes and a 120mm fan. I know the HSF is enough- but I'm betting something else is going on. Maybe it just isn't getting even enough contact on the CPU- or maybe it is just the thermal grease. Hard to say.

But, off it goes and on with the stock cooler. I'll post my results once the AS5 arrives and I get it and this beefy HSF installed again. Hopefully that'll solve this problem.
Old 02-26-07, 09:19 PM   #31
Redeemed

Well, my temps dropped by about 6-7*C with this stock cooler. It is hovering right around 47*C now. Still too hot for my liking.

I'm placing an order for some AS5 right now. I hope that helps. If not- might the mobo be reading the temp wrong? I'm gonna' try updating the BIOS- see if that changes anything.
Old 02-27-07, 09:22 AM   #32
Redeemed

Okay- in case this AS5 and lapping the heatsink don't bring my temps down- I'm willing to get a better cooler. I'm just curious- of these which would you choose?

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/...l?o=price_desc

I'm really interested in these two. Any comments on these?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/52...l?tl=g40c14s48

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/54...l?tl=g40c14s48

I'm really liking the Ultra TEC cooler. I'd use the LCD display that comes with it to replace the stock LCD that came with my tower.

Also, I'm interested in using that OCZ cooler for my ram- but is it even compatible with DDR? I know most of you that have that OCZ ram cooler are using DDR2- but will it work with DDR1? Here's the precise cooler:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/54...?tl=g40c18s235

Thanks again for all your feedback. And sorry for the slight thread jack.

Old 02-27-07, 01:27 PM   #33
Gregor976

A 47c idle temperature using your CL-P0114 would make me suspect that I had a bad cpu. I'm still using crappy generic thermal compound with my xp-90 and I idle at 35-36..

What does cpuz say your core voltage is? What is the airflow like in your case? What is your system temp? Are you sure that you're idle? You might want to check the task manager... :\
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 03:25 PM   #34
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

I use this to monitor my temps...

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

@ Redeemed
Yeah, something doesn't seem right. I'm idling at 37' C right now at 3:14 p.m. and this room (on s.w. corner of house) is a bit warm even. I was wondering last night how people have the fan on the HSF blowing? Mine is blowing away from the HS to lift the heat up away from the cpu. Anyways, try that prog above and see what it says. It should give you temps for both cores.
Old 02-27-07, 05:48 PM   #35
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor976
A 47c idle temperature using your CL-P0114 would make me suspect that I had a bad cpu. I'm still using crappy generic thermal compound with my xp-90 and I idle at 35-36..

What does cpuz say your core voltage is? What is the airflow like in your case? What is your system temp? Are you sure that you're idle? You might want to check the task manager... :\
CPU-z reports a core voltage of about 1.392v. In the BIOS I have it set to 1.3v It shouldn't be that high. As to airflow- it should be good. I have a 120mm for intake (87cfm), another 92mm fan for intake by the HDD cage, a second 120mm for exhaust (87cfm), and an 80mm on the side panel as exhaust. So the airflow should be pretty good. I know my rig isn't "exactly" idle- I've always got several programs up and running (Zonealarm, Steam, FRAPS, PC ProbeII, Ai Booster, etc). But cpu usage seldom goes above 10% per core. So that's why I'm saying "idle"- as they aren't really being stressed and are more "idle" than anything.

I've yet to flash to the latest BIOS. Anychance it could be reading the temps wrong?

And SLippe- thanks for the program- it just finnished DL'ing.
Old 02-27-07, 07:36 PM   #36
Redeemed

Okay, CoreTemp is showing that Core #1 is about 4*C hotter than Core#0- is that normal? Shouldn't they both be about the same temp?