Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-07, 08:57 AM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Vanguard... what an improvement

Yea, I'm eating my own words. If you remember correctly, i bashed Vanguard up and down in previous posts based on my experience in the beta. If it wasn't for MaguS's posts on Vanguard's improvements, I would have wrote the game off as DOA.

That has all changed. I bought Vanguard and to say the game has improved is a HUGE understatement. Its not even the same game it was in beta. I am thoroughly enjoying myself and believe I will be playing this game with my guild for a good amount of time. Was it the "next Everquest" that I was hopeing for? No, but its the closest thing to it. The game has its fair share of bugs, but that does not take away from how fun it is.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 04:16 PM   #2
lognoronon

Default Re: Vanguard... what an improvement

I really want to play it but until they optimize it further I'm not going to bother.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
I7-2600k
8 Gig of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
EVGA GTX 560 TI
Lite On 20x DVD +- RW
WD 160 gig 7200 rpm hd
WD 750 gig 7200 rpm hd
Logitech G15 Keyboard
Razer Naga mouse
Corsair GS700
LG 22" L226WTQ

lognoronon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 05:36 PM   #3
nrdstrm

Yeah Tyger, while you were bashing, I was a proponent...TBH I was just holding onto the fact that maybe they would pull something outa there butts, and they DID! The change from the day beta ended to the Release was astounding.

As to it being your next "Everquest", my hopes are starting to fall that there will ever be my next Everquest. I'm pretty settled with the fact that I just want to play "GOOD" MMO's now, and that most likely nothing will ever compare to my EQ experiences...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 06:50 AM   #4
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

The animation looks very jerky, and everything has that "fake" look to it like EQ2.. Hrmm.. Maybe when/if they offer a trial or something.
Old 02-27-07, 09:41 AM   #5
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Does it run better? I played the beta some and wanted to like it... seemed like it had potential but ran log a dogs anus and was about as stable as my ass.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 11:44 AM   #6
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Does it run better? I played the beta some and wanted to like it... seemed like it had potential but ran log a dogs anus and was about as stable as my ass.
Read my description of the game 2 months ago and now.

Its two entirely different games. The game runs ALOT better and looks ALOT better. Words can't describe the difference in now and then. The game doesn't run great by any stretch of the imagination. It runs "good enough", I'll put it that way. Before it was completely unacceptable, now it is just fine.
Old 02-27-07, 11:48 AM   #7
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Running well in Vista? I might pick it up... would like a real MMO to play (have been playing free to play ones like Rappelz and Guild Wars until a good real MMO came along worthy of paying monthly for came along)... how much is it monthly? 15? But 10 a month if you do one big year payment in advance? Or something similar?
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 12:56 PM   #8
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Running well in Vista? I might pick it up... would like a real MMO to play (have been playing free to play ones like Rappelz and Guild Wars until a good real MMO came along worthy of paying monthly for came along)... how much is it monthly? 15? But 10 a month if you do one big year payment in advance? Or something similar?
15 a month yes. And you do get a discount for making payments a few months in advanced just like the rest.

About Vista. I actually think Vanguard runs better on Vista in XP SP2 compatibility mode than being on XP itself! I am going to benchmark and test this just to be sure, but yes Vanguard will run just fine on Vista. Earlier in development, Vanguard was MADE for Vista.

Old 02-27-07, 01:37 PM   #9
queth

talk about misinformation.
VG couldn't run on vista until around november 2006.
VG has more bugs than anything i have ever seen. Groups disconnecting for logouts to fix, loot rolling getting bugged so you lose loot. Items disappearing and taking 5 logons to get them back. So many more.

Doesn't stop me though 23 druid, 19 artificer, 100 diplomat.
queth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 02:44 PM   #10
Xion X2

^ LOL.

That's the hell of it though, isn't it? No matter how buggy it is you just can't stop playing it. The only thing that's gotten me away from it for a few days is a bad motherboard, heh.

One important thing to note on Vista gameplay, though, is that you can't vsync right now w/ the 8800-series. Vanguard runs a lot smoother with vsync enabled. 60fps w/o vsync is a lot rougher than 60fps w/ vsync. Look at the road going past you when you're running along or riding your horse sometime, and you'll see what I mean. Even at 60fps it's choppy compared to having vsync on.

But yeah, I never played the beta but this latest patch is already a nice improvement over the prior version. And they've been releasing them once a week, so I hope it stays on a steady incline.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 12:49 PM   #11
UDawg
Retired spammer

Why do you guys like EverGay? It is the dumbest idea for a game ever. Hey lets have our clients spend 4 months eveling 2 levels. When they die if they don't get back to their body in time because they were dumb enough to bind to a public place, they will loose4 levels and gear.

FRIKING BRILLIANT!

How about this. Lets show them why we call it "Ever"quest. We shall have them go to a zone 10 levels above them to kill a mob that is surrounded by mob 10 levels around them. Then if they actually do kill that mob we will give them a quest reward that is 4 levels below them. That way we will force them to spend the next 4 month leveling to finish a quest only to get a pos reward.

SOUNDS ****ING AWESOME TO ME! Screw that!

Bring on Warhammer and Age of Conan.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:05 PM   #12
NrthnStar5

what a loser
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote