Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-07, 03:26 PM   #1
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Vanguard... Whats up?

So I figured I'd put aside my "elitest ways" and give Vanguard another shot. I'm downloading the updates as we speak. What server are you guys on, what classes, and are you having fun?

Right now, My guild is halfway set on playing the "Woefeather" server but we arent 100% decided just yet.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 05:50 PM   #2
Xion X2

Default Re: Vanguard... Whats up?

I'm 30+ hours in and loving it.

I'm on Woefeather.. I think most of us are. My handle is Xionn and I'm a Level 8 Dark Elf Sorcerer. I'm still in Hazoth Zhi.

The game is just awesome, and it looks incredible.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 06:14 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Think im still lvl 11, Haven't played much recently.
Old 02-16-07, 06:54 PM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien

is there grass in that game? lmao. It looks horrible imo.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:00 PM   #5
|MaguS|

yeah there is but not much in the desert.
Old 02-16-07, 07:05 PM   #6
Roadhog
Resident Alien

oh.. I thought that was snow.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:22 PM   #7
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog
oh.. I thought that was snow.
It is. You expect grass to grow in snow?

Yes, there is plenty of grass in the game.. where it's warm. In fact, it has the best looking grass of any game I've ever seen with the length and the way it blows around in the wind.

And how can you say the game looks horrible? Look at the rocks in the pictures in my prior post. They look about as real as real gets.

Sometimes I wonder if you just like to be negative, roadhog. You never have anything positive to say about anything.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-16-07, 07:43 PM   #8
Odral
True Gamer

Iam wanting to try this game but really don't want to shell out $50 before trying it. If anyone has a spare trial key that would rock. Iam currently playing EQ2 but this games looks promising. Thanks in advance
Odral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-07, 07:47 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2

And how can you say the game looks horrible? Look at the rocks in the pictures in my prior post. They look about as real as real gets.

Sometimes I wonder if you just like to be negative, roadhog. You never have anything positive to say about anything.
Dude no offense, the game looks good but it could look ALOT better. Models are pretty poor in detail and the world looks generic at times. I do think the foilage is the best in a MMO to date but it has room for improvement. I gotta say though, the trees are just awsome looking sometimes.
Old 02-16-07, 07:48 PM   #10
Orsenfelt

Id like to play, but I dobut my PC could run it anywhere near any settings that would make it enjoyable.. lol. I'll get it when I upgrade.
Orsenfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 10:30 PM   #11
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Dude no offense, the game looks good but it could look ALOT better. Models are pretty poor in detail and the world looks generic at times. I do think the foilage is the best in a MMO to date but it has room for improvement. I gotta say though, the trees are just awsome looking sometimes.
Everyone has their own opinion, but I don't agree with that at all. I mean sure it's not perfect, but what game is? I can't recall playing any game where I didn't think to myself "I wish this or that would look better." I think the game looks great like it is. I've played some of the best looking games on the PC to date: Oblivion, Fear, Fear XP, Chaos Theory, Condemned, Prey, etc and overall, on the whole, I think this beats any of those. The part you get to past the Queens Gate in Hathor Zhi where all of the tree monsters are walking around is just phenominal looking.

Are you sure that you have all your settings turned up all the way? I've noticed that whenever I make any sort of change it wants to bump everything down. Make sure that you have your Rendering Quality turned up all the way, especially. It offers quite a performance hit, but it makes everything look much more detailed--especially the mountains.

I have shadows down to 50% and environmental shaders down to 50%. I've found this gets me over 40fps most of the time on my setup.

There's no reason at all to classify the game as "horrible" looking, such as someone so eloquently put it. That's just being extreme. There's no way a sane person can say that the rocks on this game aren't detailed to the extreme and that the grass doesn't look exceptional when it blows in the wind. It's the first game I've seen to use volumetric clouds like Crysis, too. So it's just being stupid to say that this game doesn't look good.. especially when you don't even have it and haven't played it.

I agree that some parts of it could look a little better, but for the most part everything is very detailed. I'd like the models to look better myself, but I think that may be a tad unreasonable when you factor in that the game is unlimited as far as character models are concerned. You can't program exceptionally detailed characters on an MMO because you have no idea how many people are going to join on a server. It could drag the engine down. You have to give yourself a buffer there, and aside from the character models, I think they've created a very detailed world for you to roam around in.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-16-07, 10:34 PM   #12
|MaguS|

The game is in some serious need of enviroment shadows.