Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-07, 04:54 PM   #61
Xion X2

Default Re: Vanguard... Whats up?

I really haven't found many like that so far and I've trained everywhere there's been a sorcerer instructor. One of the reasons I'm aching to get to Lvl 12 is because I get many more spells to train for. Like 2 more quests and I'll be leveling up again.

I do have a disperse spell, but it usually won't let me cast it unless I land a critical attack. I could try moving my Taqmir Bolts I or Frostbite I spells back onto my toolbelt to see if the lower damage reduces aggression, I guess. I've stopped using them because they're less powerful. Can a sorcerer use ranged attack weapons? I've just been using a staff, and to get any extra damage in I can, after I cast my first spell I will usually autoattack to get ready for his bumrush at me. I usually get an extra swing or two in while he's hacking away.

If that really does have that kind of effect on agro, then they should tell you. It's not like all of us are pros at MMOs and know these kinds of things already.

Maybe it's in the manual and I just haven't read it, though. I've been meaning to sit down and read that thing; I just normally skip that step when I'm playing stuff and learn the hard way.

[Edit: You know what the odd thing is? Is that this usually doesn't happen when I'm grouping w/ people--only when I'm by myself. You saw me, Magus--I could stand back and target one enemy w/ spells and the other guy would just stand there. Well, I've been targeting enemies when soloing that are standing at about the same distance and they've been hauling (@!~! after me every time when soloing. Doesn't make sense.]

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 05:25 PM   #62
Xion X2

Alright, here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Targeting wasp on the right at a distance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like enemy on the left is a safe distance away, and this is as far away as they get from each other:

Now, after I cast Frostbite I (even took it down to I this time from II, at the suggestion that it may reduce aggro):

Any suggestions?

I even have a Force Barrier II spell that I use every time that adds around 100 HP to my life and uses a protect barrier to reduce damage. But when crap like this keeps happening, what's the point? I can't take on 2-3 guys by myself every time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vgclient 2007-02-19 17-02-56-75.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	24110  Click image for larger version

Name:	vgclient 2007-02-19 17-03-07-90.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	24111  Click image for larger version

Name:	vgclient 2007-02-19 17-03-14-85.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	24112  

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-19-07, 06:05 PM   #63
NrthnStar5

Start off with bolts first, since that takes a few seconds to cast, then followup with frost immediatly after, char, then keep casting bolts until he gets up close and finish him off with char and that instant arcane spell (icon is a fist i believe)

I myself have rare problems with other mobs pulling, usually only if they are together, i think it just comes down to certain mobs automatically pull because that is the type of mob they are.
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 07:32 PM   #64
nV`andrew
Akrynym

Send a message via AIM to nV`andrew Send a message via MSN to nV`andrew Send a message via Skype™ to nV`andrew

i want to cry. i had 20 something silver so i go to buy a horse, and accidentally try to equip it while still with the merchant. lost my horse. bought another. quit out of hte merchant window, and i guess i lagged, cuz it sold that horse too

lvl 10 dark elf sorceror btw.
nV`andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 07:51 PM   #65
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Ahaha.

Magus, can you see all the optimizations they've made to the game today? I think they've added AA to the engine--everything looks cleaner. The HDR/bloom effect also seems to be quite a bit stronger and the game is running smoother than it ever has for me.
I didn't see any patch notes so I don't think they made any changes since I didn't download any update at all... Maybe your finally playing sober enough to see the graphics?
Old 02-19-07, 10:02 PM   #66
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nV`andrew
i want to cry. i had 20 something silver so i go to buy a horse, and accidentally try to equip it while still with the merchant. lost my horse. bought another. quit out of hte merchant window, and i guess i lagged, cuz it sold that horse too

lvl 10 dark elf sorceror btw.
You realise anything you sell to a vendor can be bought back right? (Last 20 items I think) for the same price you sold it for? Or did you loose the money AND the horse? If that is the case, did you "/petition"?

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-07, 11:39 PM   #67
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I didn't see any patch notes so I don't think they made any changes since I didn't download any update at all... Maybe your finally playing sober enough to see the graphics?
Nah, I never play sober.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 02-20-07, 12:31 AM   #68
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NrthnStar5
Start off with bolts first, since that takes a few seconds to cast, then followup with frost immediatly after, char, then keep casting bolts until he gets up close and finish him off with char and that instant arcane spell (icon is a fist i believe)
Hey thanks man, that's really helped and made things much easier. Not only does the charge-up for bolts take longer but it takes a precious second or two to hit the target. Now I'll use that up front and they don't start charging until it hits them. Saves me a good 2-3 seconds in battle now. Works much better than casting freeze first.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 02-20-07, 11:10 AM   #69
NrthnStar5

Cool, glad that helped! A matter of only a couple of seconds will in fact make a difference. I used to cast freeze first too, then realized it made sense to start out with bolts and followup with freeze. Allows me to get more in like you said.
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-07, 10:39 PM   #70
|MaguS|

Hey anyone with an SLi 8800GTX rig, try displaying the SLi Load bars. I can't get mine to display when running the game... I don't think its supporting SLi right now... please provide a screenshot if you are claiming its working.

BTW Im on Xp with the most recent official drivers.
Old 02-20-07, 10:49 PM   #71
Blacklash
8^9^3

Here's one of the reasons I am currently critical of VG:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...t=85300&page=7

See my last post or the one that starts, "Ok guys I rolled a noob on Woefeather..." Look at the bottom screen shots @ 1024x and highest performance settings. Of course note the place and conditions, they are important.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 04:28 AM   #72
Xion X2

Things are going much better w/ the Sorcerer now. I see what you mean about ultimate damage dealer now, Mal. Some of my spells are really getting strong because I'm distributing all my attribute points to Vitality, Intelligence, and Wisdom. Each one takes at least 200hp now and sometimes I can chain them up to 750hp apiece.

I was w/ this one group tonight that was trippin' out at how easy I made a quest they had struggled with. Said they were taking down enemies in less than half the time it took them before w/ me casting for them.

Also learning to attack from a distance much better. I'm @ level 13 now, and I've been taking down two lvl 13's at a time (2 dot, usually) and lvl 16 (2-3 dots) by myself by chaining spells and casting in better order. Most often I can have their power down to 1/5 before they ever touch me and in many cases have completely killed them before they got to me.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz