Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-07, 03:26 PM   #1
geoduck

Default latest sata_nv for older kernel?

Is it possible to use the latest sata_nv version from the 2.6.20 kernel on a system running an older kernel such as 2.6.13? I'm running SuSE 10.0 and would like the benefits of NCQ and ADMA without the hassle of completely updating my system. The latest version of sata_nv available on the NVIDIA website for SuSE 10.0 does not appear to have these features.

Thanks,
Kelly
geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 06:38 PM   #2
Descore
MythTV user

Default Re: latest sata_nv for older kernel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoduck
Is it possible to use the latest sata_nv version from the 2.6.20 kernel on a system running an older kernel such as 2.6.13? I'm running SuSE 10.0 and would like the benefits of NCQ and ADMA without the hassle of completely updating my system. The latest version of sata_nv available on the NVIDIA website for SuSE 10.0 does not appear to have these features.

Thanks,
Kelly
Just upgrade your kernel, without upgrading your whole system. Check here for step by step instructions..
Descore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 07:06 PM   #3
geoduck

Thanks for the response. I've thought about that option but I'm a little wary of messing up my system and various dependencies. I'm still fairly new at linux but I have configured and built kernels using sources obtained through automatic system updates. This might belong in another support forum but I'll mention it here first since it has to do with sata_nv: I first looked at upgrading just the kernel using yast's software manager using a source for the latest version of opensuse (which has the 2.6.20 kernel) as an installation source but it came back with lots of dependencies that had to also be upgraded (including glibc to 2.5) which amounted to upgrading the entire system. So can I just upgrade the kernel from 2.6.13 to 2.6.20 without upgrading other major components? Is it best to download the source from kernel.org or get it through opensuse.org, in which case it might have suse-specific modifications. Although I want to use the latest sata_nv I also would like to stay as close to a specific distribution as possible.

Thanks,
Kelly
geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-07, 11:29 PM   #4
Dr. Tyrell

openSuse is persnickity when it comes to kernel modules, and there are a few special ones it needs, therefore going with their own kernel is best, so you're on the right track.

As far as the glibc and other libraries, you would do yourself a disservice to attempt to avoid updating them....there's often very critical fixes.
Knowing that, you now have to ask yourself whether you've compiled any apps or libraries by hand, and do you then need to recompile them.

Generally if you stick to yast and don't (or rarely do) hand compile from source, you can't go wrong.

The Doctor