Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-07, 09:08 AM   #1
blaubel
Pablo Carnero

Default Linux driver produces black screens frequently

Hi all!, I have not found any thread with this problem.

I installed the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1 (i also tried 9625, 9625 and 4363) with no problem, then I configured xorg.conf to use nvidia driver. When I restarted X, it produces me black screens frequently, however 3d acceleration works fine (with black screens).

I tried disabling acpi.
I tried with many options in xorg.conf.
In adition I tried compile new kernel 2.6.20 with "nVidia Framebuffer Support" and "nVidia Riva support" disabled.

PS.My monitor is Samsung SyncMaster710v, it has vga connection and my graphic card has dvi so they are connected with a dvi-vga adapter.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (102.9 KB, 98 views)
blaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 09:51 AM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Linux driver produces black screens frequently

If you're reporting that windows appear black after a period of time, that's a known bug and can be worked around by disabling the Composite extension.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-07, 12:02 PM   #3
blaubel
Pablo Carnero

Windows doesn't appear black, all the screen appears black during half second and very times
Old 02-19-07, 04:54 AM   #4
blaubel
Pablo Carnero

the problem has solved connecting my monitor on the vga connection, before it was on the dvi with adapter
Old 03-07-07, 02:05 AM   #5
Legoguy
Lego Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Legoguy Send a message via AIM to Legoguy Send a message via MSN to Legoguy Send a message via Yahoo to Legoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
If you're reporting that windows appear black after a period of time, that's a known bug and can be worked around by disabling the Composite extension.
This presents a problem for a fullscreen OpenGL window manager like beryl, or OpenGL games... since it's a "known bug," can we expect a fix soon?
When I run my Gateway FPD2485W through VGA, I see some retrace artifacts when there's anything moving on the screen. That annoying effect isn't there when using DVI. So it's kind of a lose-lose: in VGA, I get that; in DVI, I get this frequent screen blacking out problem. And I really don't want to lose the ability to use the new & amazing window managers because I bought a bigger monitor with proper DVI support (mind you, $700 isn't cheap)

[edit] So I just tried your solution of disabling Composite. I still get black screens. This is a different bug than the one that just affects windows, I think...
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw
Legoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 12:13 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're still getting black windows with Composite disabled, then you're hitting a different, unknown bug. I'd suggest starting a new thread with a bug report and reproduction details.

thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote