Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-07, 06:22 PM   #13
OWA

Default Re: Vista Activation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
w00t? Isn't this supposed to be the difference between retail and oem; I thought you wouldn't have to call to get it activated with the retail version?
Yeah, I thought that was supposed to be the case and that's why I was so surprised. I'll probably wait until the end of the trial period this time before calling to activate it just in case I need to change anything else.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:45 PM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Yeah, I thought that was supposed to be the case and that's why I was so surprised. I'll probably wait until the end of the trial period this time before calling to activate it just in case I need to change anything else.
That's what I'm doing, I haven't activated mine at all yet.
Old 02-22-07, 07:56 PM   #15
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
w00t? Isn't this supposed to be the difference between retail and oem; I thought you wouldn't have to call to get it activated with the retail version?
Actually the difference is that with Retail you CAN call and get it reactivated on a new machine as long as it's removed from your previous one. With the OEM your not supposed to be able to reactivate it on a new machine. With XP, Microsoft still allowed people to move their OEM license from machine to machine just to stop people from complaining and not to get into a legal battle on what really is defined by a "new machine". It's assumed that this policy will continue with Vista, but at any time Microsoft can choose to enforce it's OEM policy.

Personally I don't see Microsoft ever enforcing the OEM policy because now Vista is tied into one's HDD. Forcing people to buy a new license every time one's HDD fails would be a PR nightmare.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 10:37 PM   #16
scott123

Not to mention the fact that Vista sales are very poor right now. Seems M$ is haveing a lot of trouble getting people (other than new retail computers) to make the switch.

I'm not loosing any sleep with my Ult. OEM version. If I need to reactivate, I'll just call them. M$ is smart enough to understand that enforcing the OEM would be a marketing disaster.
Creative Xfi
Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 08:24 AM   #17
XDanger
Whaaat?

I thought the os was "tied" to the motherboard, not the hdd.
Old 02-23-07, 09:00 AM   #18
OWA

Doesn't seem to be the case. My system hardware was identical except for swapping out the hard drive.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 11:05 AM   #19
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
I thought the os was "tied" to the motherboard, not the hdd.
That was the case for XP. The OS was tied to your NIC. With Vista it's more tied into your HDD.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote