Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-03, 12:46 PM   #25
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yelapaboy
I guess what I really wanted to know was not whether or not this is a fan-site but whether or not Nvidia is putting the screws on sites such as Nvnews and 3Dgpu to toe the line as I had noticed a distinct skewing and selectivity of news posts at both sites recently. I guess this really shouldn't bother me as both sites have excellent message boards that truly are worth visiting but if Nvidia is in fact doing so it does chafe my rear end.
This site has been posting news on other graphics cards for a long time now. It hasn't been a problem then and I don't think it's one now. It's all a matter of priorities. First comes news from NVIDIA, then anyone else. Stuff is bound to get missed because we're human. And as has been said, this site is being run out of people's free time and out of the goodness of their hearts.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 12:50 PM   #26
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
And as has been said, this site is being run out of people's free time and out of the goodness of their hearts.
as are practically all forums of this kind on the internet
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 01:00 PM   #27
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
This site has been posting news on other graphics cards for a long time now. It hasn't been a problem then and I don't think it's one now. It's all a matter of priorities. First comes news from NVIDIA, then anyone else. Stuff is bound to get missed because we're human. And as has been said, this site is being run out of people's free time and out of the goodness of their hearts.
You are right, Saturnotaku, It's true they post on other graphic cards. The majority of the news are Nvidia. Which is obvious because it's a nVidia Fan based site. When they have the time they post on other news. But the first and most priority is Nvidia based news. If they want to seriously get away from the stigmata of the Fan based, you would be expecting equal amounts of news. Catalyst 3.2 was released yesterday. I haven't seen any mobile 9600 news posts on here. I know i'm so damn nitpicky but just writing what I've seen.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 01:23 PM   #28
volt

That's true, we are now posting more NVIDIA based news.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 01:27 PM   #29
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Yelapaboy
Oh yeah and "Off my favorites list if this keeps up" well, sometimes I say stupid things.
Emotional brainfart gladly forgiven, it takes some cajones to stand up and admit it.

As for how much control/influence nVidia has over nVnews, that's a bit of a bone of great contention among a number of interested parties right now. This is an independantly owned site, but they do (obviously) have an nVidia bias and contacts within nVidia. I'm sure nVidia has been giving this site it's usually "unhappy nVidia" treatment and generally trying to make life aggravating for them whenever there is dissing nVidia news put up...but none of the staff have really complained of it and they still seem to be on good terms.

So the answer I guess is decide for yourself, there really is no hard and fast answer. Myself I happen to think the folks here who run this place are good people who try like hell to play fair and honest...you can make your own decision.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 01:47 PM   #30
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
That's true, we are now posting more NVIDIA based news.
which brings me back to my reason for posting in this thread...

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0

Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-03, 07:27 PM   #31
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Uhmmm... I think MikeC wanted nVnews to be a fansite.
Why else did he name it nVnews? LMFAO!!!
Old 03-15-03, 01:06 AM   #32
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
which brings me back to my reason for posting in this thread...

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDQ0

You will have to see Mike for an answer on this
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-03, 01:54 AM   #33
StealthHawk

FgrMstr(Kyle from [H]) has said it himself

responding to
Quote:
I think hardocp ask nvnews not to link news to their page, i'm probably mistaken.
Kyle says:
Quote:
I asked them not to link our news stories that we post on our front page if they were basically going to copy and paste them in their entirety.

Old 03-15-03, 10:20 AM   #34
Sean P.
www.pcper.com

Send a message via ICQ to Sean P.

Yes...I know I am an absolute hypocrite for posting here again ( after stating that I would be leaving here for good ). However, I feel as though I can add some insight to one of the issues at hand here.

Quote:
Originally posted by ClyssaN
I think hardocp ask nvnews not to link news to their page, i'm probably mistaken.
Actually, the entire reason I left revolved around nV News not posting an NVIDIA-related news story I sent them from HardOCP. Though my reviews at HardOCP were linked a few times, one day Mike decided that a quick mention in the General Hardware forum was enough attention for my next review and it did not get linked. As you might imagine, the amount of people seeing it on the front page grossly outweighs the number of people who would see the quick post in that specific forum. Regardless, it is a thing of the past and we have all moved on...

While I'm here, I just wanted to thank those who provided feedback ( positive and negative ) regarding the review. Furthermore, I'd like to thank all of those who have been keeping in touch with me via email ( pelly@hardocp.com ). I appreciate all of your comments and input and will keep doing my best to give you all solid and unbiased reviews.

Take care guys...

www.pcper.com
Sean P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 08:39 PM   #35
Rogozhin

If nvnews is supposed to be a nvidia site why did Mike C then decide that nvidia wasn't enough when posting video card news? Why didn't he then call it "gpunews."?

I believe that rage3d holds much more clout and recieves much more hits BECAUSE it is ONLY an ATI site, while nvnews posts links, articles, and reviews that have many other variables besides nvidia's products.

It seems like a misnomer since if he had decided to rename it gpunews he would have had many more readers since people that own voodoo, ati, matrox, and kyrol (sp), would have visited the site.

Just questions and no intention of flame bating (like crank baiting!)

Rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-03, 09:04 PM   #36
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
I believe that rage3d holds much more clout and recieves much more hits BECAUSE it is ONLY an ATI site
NOT TRUE!

I personally consider their OT forum a version of online therapy for me.....

They do cover other news, but generally only as it relates to ATI.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote