Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-03, 08:38 PM   #1
steppenwolf

Default VT Switching problem

It seems that other people have similar problems, but after searching the forums I didn't find any that were a close enough match, and currently have no solution.

I have a fresh install of Debian 3.0r1 (Woody) on my MSI K7T Turbo2 box with a 950mhz Duron and a GeForce4 MX 440 SE (64mb) on 8x VIA AGP. The linux installation is virtually untouched (fresh and I haven't done much with it except recompiling the kernel). After downloading the latest nvidia drivers, I linked and added the kernel module and set up GLX in X 4.somthing.

The driver works just beautifully, and I'm very pleased with the performance (a 3D acceleration-on-linux first for me ). However, when I try to switch away from X and go to a vt, the video mode does change back to text mode that was present at boot time, leaving a blank screen. Of course, I can always switch back to X with no problems.

After reading most of the documentation and making sure that my kernel (2.4) had all of the important options enabled and the problematic ones disabled, I am quite stumped by the problem as it is obviously kernel-related.

Is there any practical way to fix this, or do I just have to live with it? I believe that I could if necessary....
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-03, 10:32 PM   #2
steppenwolf

Ah, no need to reply to this post. ^^;

After checking back and reading some posts, it turns out that the answer was right in front of me.

I guess the search I did failed to produce the results I wanted, even though they were actually there and would have been easily noticed if I had just looked a little harder.

Anyway, I apologize for wasting your time, and hope you can forgive me.
steppenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote