Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-07, 10:43 AM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Which Distro Are You?

Since the General Linux section of NV is almost at a halt in dicussion, I figured I'd come up with an ice breaker. Thread topper says it all.

I use Ubuntu 6.10 on my Dell PowerEdge server (evilghost's old machine, thanks buddy!). I really bought it to back up my important files, but dabbled into the Linux world with such things as Apache (www.sixstorm.com), Samba, OpenSSH, and of course, Beryl. So now, not only do I use it as a backup server, but I also use it as a test desktop for learning Linux.

What about you?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 05:04 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Which Distro Are You?

Kanotix and Dreamlinux are my two favs.

Kanotix is as fast as I've seen straight out of the box and never ever a driver issue. Dreamlinux would need a lot added for a power user like evilghost, maybe you too six, but very stable and the the multimedia setup is top notch.

This reminds me, I need another hdd, thanks!
Old 02-21-07, 06:30 PM   #3
Camp0rz
*BANNED*

Have ubuntu 6.10 on my desktop. Just acquired an old gateway laptop. It has a P3, 10 gb hdd, and 128 mb of ram. Have KDE Ark linux on it now. It's a really simplified distro of linux, but it's the only thing I have that will install on the machine. Ubuntu freezes the system, xbuntu freezes it. Going to give fluxbuntu a try when I go buy some more cd-rs from the store later tonight.

Any suggestions for a distro that would run on the lappy? Have a flash drive with dsl and puppy linux on it somewhere but I'm not too fond of those. I'll just be using the laptop for general internet browsing.

btw.. that dream linux looks pretty nice. Might give that a try on my desktop.
Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 06:53 PM   #4
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

been using slackware since v6 i think. Tired heaps of other distros but still like good ol slack
Old 02-21-07, 09:41 PM   #5
evilghost

Home, Server, Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake LTS
Home, Laptop, Ubuntu Feisty Fawn
Home, Laptop (Wifes), Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
Work, Desktop, Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

I'm thinking of going pure Debian on the server.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 10:51 AM   #6
six_storm

Just tried out Sabayon Linux (beryl built in distro) and I really don't like it. Prolly the only reason I don't is because with Ubuntu (or any other type of Ubuntu), you get lightning fast results. With Sabayon, loading is slow . . . . very slow. I guess it's more for the graphical extensive systems?

Anywho, I've never dabbled into the K desktop so I'm trying out Kubuntu on VMWare this afternoon.
Old 02-22-07, 06:16 PM   #7
retsam

im os/390 at work .pfftt...when you little boys that use weirdoz and weenix grow a pair come talk to me...mmm k.. i once saw 160 instances of linux run through v-ware on our mainframe in a test enviroment...
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:31 PM   #8
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
im os/390 at work .pfftt...when you little boys that use weirdoz and weenix grow a pair come talk to me...mmm k.. i once saw 160 instances of linux run through v-ware on our mainframe in a test enviroment...
And his e-penis grew 6" that day in Whoville
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-07, 04:10 PM   #9
six_storm

Ok, so the KDE desktop is alright, but I still like Gnome better.

Guess since this is the only real active Linux thread on this whole board, are there any optimizations or tweaks that I can do to speed up my Gnome+Ubuntu+Beryl desktop?
Old 02-23-07, 05:44 PM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Ok, so the KDE desktop is alright, but I still like Gnome better.

Guess since this is the only real active Linux thread on this whole board, are there any optimizations or tweaks that I can do to speed up my Gnome+Ubuntu+Beryl desktop?
I find some pretty large differences in performance between linux drivers. Overall I got the best performance from the 9746s. Ran XGL very well before I tried to tweak it, and destroyed it.
Old 02-24-07, 10:24 AM   #11
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I find some pretty large differences in performance between linux drivers. Overall I got the best performance from the 9746s. Ran XGL very well before I tried to tweak it, and destroyed it.
May I ask why you are running XGL instead of Beryl? Just curious.

I installed the latest SVNs of Beryl from whoever that one guy is (Beryl 2.0RC3). I was playing around with the configurations in Beryl Manager and my Desktop Cube function quit working. And when you purge Beryl, remove SVN repos and reinstall, it apparently doesn't wanna downgrade to RC1 lol. At least I know those work.
Old 02-24-07, 12:09 PM   #12
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
May I ask why you are running XGL instead of Beryl? Just curious.

I installed the latest SVNs of Beryl from whoever that one guy is (Beryl 2.0RC3). I was playing around with the configurations in Beryl Manager and my Desktop Cube function quit working. And when you purge Beryl, remove SVN repos and reinstall, it apparently doesn't wanna downgrade to RC1 lol. At least I know those work.
Was running, I just wanted to test both out, tried XGL first is all, no particular reason. But I really trashed my installation trying to tweak it . As of today I'm waiting on taxes back to grab another hdd as one died on me and I have way to much on my xp hdd to wipe it. I'll post more on my performance with beryl soon as I can get a distro up and running wiith it.

I'll just have to make a hard decision on what distro to go with. I had way to many problems with ubuntu, so I'll probably go back to Dream Linux.