Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-24-07, 12:49 PM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Which Distro Are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Was running, I just wanted to test both out, tried XGL first is all, no particular reason. But I really trashed my installation trying to tweak it . As of today I'm waiting on taxes back to grab another hdd as one died on me and I have way to much on my xp hdd to wipe it. I'll post more on my performance with beryl soon as I can get a distro up and running wiith it.

I'll just have to make a hard decision on what distro to go with. I had way to many problems with ubuntu, so I'll probably go back to Dream Linux.
I'll have to check out DreamLinux. Sabayon Linux sucks (Vista-like rough on your hardware lol) and it isn't efficient like Ubuntu. Post some screenies when you get a chance!!!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 03:12 PM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I'll have to check out DreamLinux. Sabayon Linux sucks (Vista-like rough on your hardware lol) and it isn't efficient like Ubuntu. Post some screenies when you get a chance!!!
I'm glad I saw your post on Sabayon, that was on my "to try" list. I should have this set up again with Dream this week. Not a convenience thing, it's a sucky kind of money thing, gotta feed them kids.

Couple of thing s about Dream, it's based on Kanotix, which I always found very fast and stable. It's multimedia tools are top notch and NV drivers installed easily, but it is rather pared down.

Appearance wise, beautiful. Looks much like a mac set up.

This is from their homepage, not sure if you visited it yet.
Old 02-24-07, 04:22 PM   #15
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
And his e-penis grew 6" that day in Whoville
oh, your just jealous you didnt get to play with such a beast.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-07, 01:09 PM   #16
carlos
In the fetal position

Debian - the most reliable and stable distro I have ever used. At work all our servers are RHEL4 and CENTOS 4.4 but my desktop and home servers are all Debian.
Old 02-25-07, 05:29 PM   #17
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Debian GNU/Linux since 2000. Unstable for my wife, unstable/experimental for me, stable for servers at home and work alike.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 10:29 AM   #18
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I'm still testing the limits of Ubuntu with add-on software such as other desktop environments, beta programs like Beryl and XGL, system optimization, and just basic everyday things such as web surfing, email, office apps and so forth.

I'm also hoping to install Ubuntu on my girlfriend's PC (along with XP in VMWare Server for college stuff) at some point this year. Still learning teh L1nuX!!!111
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 10:48 AM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I'm still testing the limits of Ubuntu with add-on software such as other desktop environments, beta programs like Beryl and XGL, system optimization, and just basic everyday things such as web surfing, email, office apps and so forth.

I'm also hoping to install Ubuntu on my girlfriend's PC (along with XP in VMWare Server for college stuff) at some point this year. Still learning teh L1nuX!!!111
I've been trying to run any linux in virtual pc and vmware server. Easier than burnng cds to try out a distro. Did you have trouble with screen corruption after loading the image?
Old 02-28-07, 10:49 AM   #20
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I've been trying to run any linux in virtual pc and vmware server. Easier than burnng cds to try out a distro. Did you have trouble with screen corruption after loading the image?
I never did using VMWare Workstation on XP/2000.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-07, 11:15 AM   #21
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I never did using VMWare Workstation on XP/2000.
Never had trouble you mean? It seems somewhat common, but no good answers. Ubuntu looks crystal clear til the desktop loads, but I can't read anything if I manage to get a terminal open.

One fix I found was to change the default from 24bit to 16, It's not a big deal really as I'm waiting for another hdd to install too. I just thought this would be nice to play with in the interim. Thanks.
Old 02-28-07, 11:55 AM   #22
kokoko3k

I love to have performance, smallness, and the ability to configure what i am using, so...
Gentoo, of course!
kokoko3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:20 PM   #23
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko3k
I love to have performance, smallness, and the ability to configure what i am using, so...
Gentoo, of course!
...and a 700+ MB portage directory and excessive compile times.

All in good humor
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 01:38 PM   #24
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoko3k
Gentoo, of course!
I'm trying hard not to start a distowar or a flaming thread but I can't just hold all of it inside. It's nothing personal, but somehow Gentoo users always remind me of Windows-fanatics. They use every single available knob and lever to tune performance of their box. At the end they spend significant time to gain insignificant advantage over stock configuration. I would understand running Gentoo on a box with very little mass storage space (assuming everything would be compiled outside the box), but with modern hardware this is hardly necessary. IIRC 170 MiB harddrive used to be more than enough for Debian potato.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote