Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-07, 10:47 AM   #1
TonyM16

Default Xbox 360 Controller for PC question?

Hi, I just bought an Xbox 360 controller , as it looks and feels cool and i thought it is compatible with all joypad games. It seems it isn't.

I tried playing with GTA San Andreas which is fully compatible with the Logitech Dual shock joypad which i also own. Problem is that joypad is nt compatible with my system, I think the evga 680i is at fault here. The game and consequently the whole system hard lock when ever I press more than one button on the logitech joypad.

thankfully that problem is not there with the xbox 360 joypad. However the right analogue stick and trigger buttons refuse to work. The gam automatically puts movement on the left analogue stick and camera on the right stick with other joypads. With the xbox 360 pad it only has movement with the left analogue stick , but the right stick doesn't do anything so I can't control camera. the game lets you set buttons but not sticks like some games.

Whats going on? Can't this be sorted out? Also I see that there is a special package called windows 360 controller, I didn't get that one, i just bought a regular 360 version. Is this why it doesn't work right?

I have already been microsoft update, and got a driver for the joypad. This was compulsory , as it wasn't recognized at first. the Logitech version doesn't need any extra drivers. I wonder why there isn't any profiles system. Do I need any extra software or drivers?

Thank You.
BFG 8800gtx(2) sli on a Dell 3007wfp,
Coolermaster 830 black,
and Tagan 1100watt psu.
TonyM16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 11:47 AM   #2
Bicka

Default Re: Xbox 360 Controller for PC question?

Try using this program, it'll let you setup functions for the 360 pad :

http://www.xpadder.com/

I bought the new 360 receiver and wireless 360 pad, myself. Works like a dream...apart from the fact that holding in both trigger buttons cancels each other out.

Hoping I don't need to buy that windows wireless 360 pad to sort that problem out though. Nothing that a little driver update shouldn't be able to fix, right?
Bicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 12:28 PM   #3
Medion

The reason both triggers cancel each other out is because they're analog, and the PC views them as an axis, like the analog sticks. They're seen as a single axis, and pressing them both in at once would be like taking 1 analog stick and trying to force it in two directions at once.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 01:53 PM   #4
Bicka

Yup, exactly. Which is why I find it odd its been set it up this way.
Apparently, in Vista, the triggers are correctly seen as seperate axis. A feature of DirectX10's directinput that shouldn't be impossible to work in Xp? Guess I'll just have to take some time to clean up my harddisks and get Vista installed to see what the deal is.

Also, according to a review, this still happens in the Windows version of the pad as well, running under XP. They also tested it in Gta:sa with the same results as what Tony mentioned with the other analog stick.

Anyways, I just came back to mention I'd found another mapping program, which seems a lot better. Its only a 30 day trial though, but has a lot more features :

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/
Old 02-21-07, 02:57 PM   #5
TonyM16

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

But I don't understand something. Is that program going to fix the San Andreas problem? Or is there just no fix at all, and the program is just for other things.

Cheers.
Coolermaster 830 black,
and Tagan 1100watt psu.
Old 02-21-07, 08:59 PM   #6
Bicka

Sorry I should have mentioned:

The trick is to set Gta:sa to use the keyboard, then use this program to bind all the key commands to the joypad buttons. The program will also allow you to set mouse movements to the right analog stick.

And theres your fully functional joypad, complete with mouse+keyboard without having to go in to the options and switch between
Old 02-21-07, 09:27 PM   #7
Q

Also, you might want to research the XBCD drivers. They allow you to set a deadzone, turn the triggers into buttons, and allow you to use the full range of the analog sticks. They are a bit of a pain in the butt to install at times, but once you get them working it is well worth it.

*They don't work under Vista 64 and have limited support under XP 64.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:05 AM   #8
TonyM16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicka
Sorry I should have mentioned:

The trick is to set Gta:sa to use the keyboard, then use this program to bind all the key commands to the joypad buttons. The program will also allow you to set mouse movements to the right analog stick.

And theres your fully functional joypad, complete with mouse+keyboard without having to go in to the options and switch between
Thanks mate. I did eventually figure it out though, I had to use the first prgram, pinnacle just didn't play ball for me, that xbdc didn't play ball either. I found that it won't be for me as with keyboard and mouse you loose the auto target, which for a joypad is a godsend. There was also a few other actions that were missing that were there on a logitech. I will either have to find a way of stopping the game freezing with a logitech or stop play. I found the game too weird to play with just keyboard and mouse.
Coolermaster 830 black,
and Tagan 1100watt psu.

Old 02-22-07, 12:54 PM   #9
npras42
Hi Everybody!

You need a program called XBCD360. Not just the plain XBCD which is for the original XBOX controller.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 01:02 PM   #10
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by npras42
You need a program called XBCD360. Not just the plain XBCD which is for the original XBOX controller.
You're right. It would probably help if I was specific, wouldn't it?
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 07:37 PM   #11
supher

Default xbox360 controller Trigger fix for free

...screw xpadder. that costs money. go to http://www.autohotkey.com/ and download the scripting engine or just try this link to download it:

http://www.autohotkey.net/~Lexikos/A..._L_Install.exe

Once you get that installed simply paste the following code into notepad and save it as an .ahk file with whichever name you want. For example, save the file as "TriggerFix.ahk" or something similar. Paste this code in the file:

#Persistent ; Keep this script running until the user explicitly exits it.
SetTimer, WatchAxis, 5
return

WatchAxis:
GetKeyState, JoyZ, JoyZ ; Get position of Z axis.
KeyToHoldDownPrev = %KeyToHoldDown% ; Prev now holds the key that was down before (if any).

if JoyZ > 70
KeyToHoldDown = z
else if JoyZ < 30
KeyToHoldDown = x
else
KeyToHoldDown =

if KeyToHoldDown = %KeyToHoldDownPrev% ; The correct key is already down (or no key is needed).
return ; Do nothing.

; Otherwise, release the previous key and press down the new key:
SetKeyDelay -1 ; Avoid delays between keystrokes.
if KeyToHoldDownPrev ; There is a previous key to release.
Send, {%KeyToHoldDownPrev% up} ; Release it.
if KeyToHoldDown ; There is a key to press down.
Send, {%KeyToHoldDown% down} ; Press it down.
return

After you get all of that done just make sure you have this script is running while you play and you will be able to use the triggers. Also note that this script remaps the triggers to x and z on the keyboard. This script works great with oblivion. Now i have left trigger set to z (block) and right trigger set to x (attack). This script is just a modified version of one found on the Autohotkey site so those guys deserve all the credit. Their scripting engine allows me to play World of Warcraft ( Halo style) with my xbox360 controller. Very useful tool thes eguys have created. If you are doing this for oblivion clear all of your joystick keybindings in game and reconfigure them AFTER you modify the oblivion.ini file for the xbox360 controller. Good luck and have fun!
supher is offline   Reply With Quote