Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-22-07, 03:23 PM   #25
TiKiMaN1

Default Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
ONE WAY TO FEND OFF the death spiral for a console is to develop a exclusive killer app. If you have a game that will be a blockbuster, you can go to one of the console makers and say, "We will only put this out for your system if we get a bribe."
That bribe is usually lowered or no kickbacks per disk. If the studio that made Halo was not owned by MS, they could go to MS and say "We figure we will sell 10 million copies of the 360 version of Halo 3 and seven million of the PS3 version. We will not do a PS3 version if you make it worth our while not to, say no fee per disk so we can pocket that $10 per unit and an ad budget worth $5 million".

The virtuous part is that if five of those seven million potential PS3 customers buy a 360 because they really want to play Halo 3, MS can do the math and see if it is worth it or not to shell out the cash. Conversely, Sony could look at the 10 million potential 360 customers and figure that 6 million might buy a PS3 if Halo 3 was their exclusive. Here is where you get into a bidding war with a lot of zeros behind it.
More good analysis by Charlie.
TiKiMaN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 03:25 PM   #26
|MaguS|

This entire article is a bias BS, seriously... look at the sales of PS3 in Jan, It was only 50K short of the X360.... What happened to the claim from the critics saying that the price would hurt the sales of the console? Sure its no beating he X360 but that could be said due to low inventory in many areas. Yeah Yeah I know we have acouple members here saying that the stores in their area hav piles of them collecting dust, guess what? Over here its empty, all my Wal-Marts, EBs, Gamestops and Best Buys are empty. None have any PS3s or Wiis, I would see one or two every now and then.

PS3 is selling well for its price, if history has showed us anything is that when a console usually launches with such a price it hurts bad and usually fails... were seeing quite the opposite here, the PS3 is selling almost as many as a console that is cheaper, has been out for a year and has better titles.

Let us see what happens this Winter, MS will have their Halo and Sony will have its big guns (FFXIII?, KILLZONE?, R&C?).
Old 02-22-07, 03:29 PM   #27
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
More good analysis by Charlie.
How many copies of Halo/Halo2 have been sold world-wide? I'm just curious as everyone always seems to make the Halo-series the best selling one out there.
Old 02-22-07, 03:39 PM   #28
nemecb

According to this, 6.43 and 7.89 million respectively. I think the point was more that it's a system-selling game so it's very important to the system maker to get that sort of game as an exclusive.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 03:40 PM   #29
TiKiMaN1

Talking Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
This entire article is a bias BS, seriously... look at the sales of PS3 in Jan, It was only 50K short of the X360.... What happened to the claim from the critics saying that the price would hurt the sales of the console? Sure its no beating he X360 but that could be said due to low inventory in many areas. Yeah Yeah I know we have acouple members here saying that the stores in their area hav piles of them collecting dust, guess what? Over here its empty, all my Wal-Marts, EBs, Gamestops and Best Buys are empty. None have any PS3s or Wiis, I would see one or two every now and then.

PS3 is selling well for its price, if history has showed us anything is that when a console usually launches with such a price it hurts bad and usually fails... were seeing quite the opposite here, the PS3 is selling almost as many as a console that is cheaper, has been out for a year and has better titles.

Let us see what happens this Winter, MS will have their Halo and Sony will have its big guns (FFXIII?, KILLZONE?, R&C?).
People must love the PS3 in Florida, because here in Utah it sits. I was at EBGames in downtown SLC on Saturday and they had 7 consoles that had been there all week according to the store manager. Over at my local Walmart that I just got back from 3 just sitting there. 2 20GB and 1 60GB.

It might differ from location to location, but I honestly know of not 1 person here in Utah that owns a PS3 besides my Dad (I must not know a lot of people ). Now as far the Wii or 360 goes...well 3 people at my work have Wii's (shelled out the cash on eBay), and 8 guys have 360's. But not one soul has PS3 nor wants one. I live in a college town so you would think at least someone would want the console. Mind you there are only 22 people at my office.

Maybe I'm wrong and PS3 is selling amazingly, but not where I'm from.
Old 02-22-07, 03:42 PM   #30
TiKiMaN1

Lightbulb Re: Sony Risks Falling Out of Console Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
According to this, 6.43 and 7.89 million respectively. I think the point was more that it's a system-selling game so it's very important to the system maker to get that sort of game as an exclusive.
That's why MGS4 is so freaking important for Sony. They could have made it big had they not lost the exclusives on VF5, UT3, and Assassins Creed.
Old 02-22-07, 03:50 PM   #31
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Well I got the point, but it just seems like he was praising the halo-series while sony has got more of the big ones on their side..
Old 02-22-07, 03:53 PM   #32
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
That's why MGS4 is so freaking important for Sony. They could have made it big had they not lost the exclusives on VF5, UT3, and Assassins Creed.
Don't forget GTA! I know it hasn't been an exclusive for some time, but it used to come out for the playstation first!

Old 02-22-07, 03:54 PM   #33
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
How do you know they lost those games if they were never officially announced as exclusives. You could argue the same for Oblivion, Saints Row, GRAW and Enchanted Arms on 360. VF5 I'll give you since VF4 was only on PS2 but that game isn't really a system seller. MGS is huge but it's not the only huge franchise Sony has.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 03:56 PM   #34
|MaguS|

Quote:
People must love the PS3 in Florida, because here in Utah it sits. I was at EBGames in downtown SLC on Saturday and they had 7 consoles that had been there all week according to the store manager. Over at my local Walmart that I just got back from 3 just sitting there. 2 20GB and 1 60GB.

It might differ from location to location, but I honestly know of not 1 person here in Utah that owns a PS3 besides my Dad (I must not know a lot of people ). Now as far the Wii or 360 goes...well 3 people at my work have Wii's (shelled out the cash on eBay), and 8 guys have 360's. But not one soul has PS3 nor wants one. I live in a college town so you would think at least someone would want the console. Mind you there are only 22 people at my office.

Maybe I'm wrong and PS3 is selling amazingly, but not where I'm from.
The PS3 in the month of Jan sold 240K, The X360 sold 290K... Seems like its doing pretty good. This is after the holidays so it shows that the PS3 is still selling well when compared to a console that has more titles and more units in stock.

Thats wonderful that you know poeple, yet again you forget to take into account that the PS3 has only been available for 4 months, who's to say that some of those 8 X360 owners you know wont go out and buy a PS3 in the next couple of months when more PS3 games release, jsut because they say right now they wouldn't buy the system doesn't mean they wouldn't when a game that sparks their interest would.

As a comparison, I have 3 friends who own an X360, 3 that own a Wii and 2 that own a PS3... all 7 own a PS2...

Just because your area doesn't sell something well doesn't mean another wouldn't. It's a different market, Spanish is a strong lanuage over here, you can dam well be Shakira (randomly picked a spanish artist) CDs are selling better here then in Utah, does that mean Shakira's CDs MUST be selling poorly?

Tiki, You wana talk Software. Sony has FAR more stronger 1st Party titles then MS. Seriously what strong franchises does MS have going for them? Sony's studios have more strong franchises then MS does, Sony just needs to get them out there. Just look in comparison the PS2 1st party lineup to the Xbox 1st party lineup...
Old 02-22-07, 03:57 PM   #35
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us
How do you know they lost those games if they were never officially announced as exclusives. You could argue the same for Oblivion, Saints Row, GRAW and Enchanted Arms on 360. VF5 I'll give you since VF4 was only on PS2 but that game isn't really a system seller. MGS is huge but it's not the only huge franchise Sony has.
Nope they've still got FF and Gran Turismo. Btw does the xbox360 have any other big exclusives other than Halo 3? And I don't consider GoW to be one, as it couldn't stand a chance to halo/ff/zelda etc..
Old 02-22-07, 04:01 PM   #36
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Nope they've still got FF and Gran Turismo. Btw does the xbox360 have any other big exclusives other than Halo 3? And I don't consider GoW to be one, as it couldn't stand a chance to halo/ff/zelda etc..
Well I'm not even trying to say that the 360 has less or start a versus match. I'm just saying that people need to stop acting like Sony has no more games. They've never really been built around a certain franchise.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote